Thread: Gearbox clunking noise

My Cars
    BMW 328i

Gearbox clunking noise

Hi guys,

I need some advise here.... I am getting a very unusual noise now and then coming from my gearbox when I change gears, I can be just on idle and as I put the clutch in and select first gear it makes this weird loose gear kind of sound and it's coming from the gearbox I'm sure of that sometime in second gear aswell however it's not always that I get this sound, could it be the release bearing on its way out??? Gear changes are still smooth though car shifts perfectly...

Any suggestions on what this could be

I've attached a video aswell

https://youtu.be/Kd9oEWTerTg

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    To me, the video is a good idea, but isn't very helpful because it doesn't show what is happening when the noise is made. Are you pushing and releasing the clutch pedal? Are you holding the pedal down for a while? Are you moving the shift lever? Is the car moving? Is the engine running? etc???

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    Okay this is what I was doing in this video,

Car is idling so I push th clutch pedal in and select a gear and as it goes into that gear I get that annoying noises and I still keep the pedal pushed in take it out of 1st gear and select second gear and you get that loose broken gear kinda noise again however if I take it out of first and put it right back into 1st immediately it won't make any noises.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Check the Guibo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    Okay I'm going to have a good look at the guibo, but wouldn't that only be a possible culprit if I'm releasing the clutch pedal and starting to move the car cause the propshaft doesn't turn when the car is stationary right??? Cause in this video I just have the engine running on idle, put the clutch pedal in and as soon as I select the gear the noise appears, I don't even release the clutch at all and that noise appears however if it keep the clutch pedal in and come out off first gear and put it back in to first gear then there's no noise

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Looking at the Guibo, it's sometimes not easy to tell. I couldn't see any damage to mine by looking. I took it off anyway and saw cracks throughout, (and the new one did make a difference). Problem could have been that I didn't know what a bad one should look like, and was looking for more obvious damage. Maybe you can look better than I did, using a good light and a mirror.

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    Did you experience this same problem I've encountered now aswell? Or what was the issue you were having that the change of the guibo cured the issue you had encountered??

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivz View Post
    Did you experience this same problem I've encountered now aswell? Or what was the issue you were having that the change of the guibo cured the issue you had encountered??
    I was getting a little vibration. Nothing like that noise. I'm stymied by the video, but then I'm no expert. If it was mine, I'd ask here first as you have done. I'd look underneath for anything obvious. I'd make sure there is fluid in the tranny. What does it do when you drive the car?

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    You know, I actually never really noticed this noise when I'm driving the car hey, I don't think I've heard it when I'm driving the car however I will go out for a test drive tomorrow and come back with confirmation if it makes this noise while driving aswell. From the car being stationary and you push the clutch in and hold it down and you go through the gears you get this noise from time to time but I'll have better confirmation tomorrow after the test drive, anyways the sound of it sounds like a release bearing on its way out cause as you select the gear you hear like a loose/broken gear in motion/spinning kinda sound for like 1-2seconds until it grips on to the gear change but if you take it out of that gear a select the same gear immediately it has none of that sounds. Please note All of this that I'm mentioning is done with the clutch pressed down fully