Thread: bilstein shocks and struts

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible

shocks and struts

I just realized that i may have bought the wrong shocks and struts. I got the bilstien b4 last year and while it rode nice, I would like a little bit more performance. I have apparently Dinan springs front and back. I did like the rise in ride height. The previous dead struts and shocks were setting too low and tire rubbed. Do I get b6 or b8? I do not track this car, but i want a comfortable but sporty ride. I did like the b4, but cornering was something left to be desired. I am in the process of replacing all bushings in suspension.

Just read about koni yellow adjustables... and they are on sale. Would that be a better way to go?
    Last edited by doctorx69; 04-06-2020 at 11:23 AM.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    I loved my adjustable yellow konis. They were awesome for autocross and for daily. I always think of getting them again but i don't autocross or anything anymore

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    just ordered koni yellows. Lots of money but caught them 20% off with Free shipping. These are the compress and adjust. How did you have them set up for DD?

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2003 4.4 x5
    My car came with new in the box koni yellows. Maybe I'll haveta slap them on!

My Cars
    99 M3

bilstein shocks and struts

Springs control ride height not shocks, though ‘Sport Shocks’ do limit rebound travel.

If you want a taller stance consider H&R OE Sports, though these are very similar to Dinan springs.

I thought Dinan only produced springs for the M3, which generally are mated with Koni Sports which are housed in OE casings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 04-12-2020 at 12:11 AM.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorx69 View Post
    just ordered koni yellows. Lots of money but caught them 20% off with Free shipping. These are the compress and adjust. How did you have them set up for DD?
    I just messed with them to see what they did at different settings. once I found a good one for autocross, I messed around some more till I found one for regular street use. I even had them on when my car was on coil overs and all the way at the lowest setting and they worked great
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Springs control ride height not shocks, though ‘Sport Shocks’ do limit rebound travel.

If you want a taller stance consider H&R OE Sports.

uh ok.... when i took the dead shocks/struts off and put the b4 on, why did it stand up almost an 1/2 to 3/4"?

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorx69 View Post
    uh ok.... when i took the dead shocks/struts off and put the b4 on, why did it stand up almost an 1/2 to 3/4"?
    billys have a slight gas charge to extend. will add a tiny bit of height, but not that much. especially the B4's. when did you measure the rise? right after install?

fyi, koni's DO NOT have that same gas charge. and the adjustability of the push and twist ones you got are basically set and forget. once the insert is in the strut, you ain't gonna change it again. rears have to be removed to adjust also. set them at the middle of the three settings and put them on.

BTW - do not EVER get Koni STR-T dampers. they are awful. but if you do, don't worry, you will have to replace them in two years when they rust out anyway...

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is
    For putting B8's in do you need the cover sleeve pn 31331134314?
    '87 325is
    Build Thread Here

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    No. That sleeve is held on by the bump stop. B8 has an internal bump stop. Do not add an external one.

In fact, do not install b8's without cutting at least half of the internal bump stop off.

Uncut b8 bump stop after a few years on hr sports

Stock b8 bump stop.

Cut b8 bump stop.

Last edited by mlytle; 04-10-2020 at 06:59 PM.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    No. That sleeve is held on by the bump stop. B8 has an internal bump stop. Do not add an external one.

In fact, do not install b8's without cutting at least half of the internal bump stop off.

Uncut b8 bump stop after a few years on hr sports

Stock b8 bump stop.

Cut b8 bump stop.
    Why do you have to cut the bump stop?
    '87 325is
    Build Thread Here

My Cars
    99 M3
    My understand to why Bilstein’s went on ‘backorder’ a couple of years ago was that Bilstein was retooling the internal bump stop and relocating the lower spring perch of the B8s (which some folks argue are not B8s). No?

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    well the struts came in... but waiting on shocks. I got the struts set at half turn to start.

My Cars
    E36 Compact,Coupe,E30
    Interesting on the bump stops? Was it the B8s and B6s that have internal bump stops? I have been very happy with their B12 cup kit.
    S52 E36 Compact
    E36 325is Coronaproject
    08 Saab 9-3 in Oxford Green

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    All the Billy front struts I have seen have internal stops. It the piston above the strut is "fat" it had an internal stop. They are too tall for a lowered car, causing the damper to be on the stop all the time. Harsher ride, unpredictable spring rate and eventual failure of the stop. Cut before installing unless running taller springs than stock.

My Cars
    99 M3

bilstein shocks and struts

Correct me if I’m incorrect but the ‘B8’ short shock shaft length is going to limit maximum ride height.

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    Btw.. The rise op got in his suspension with the b4's was probably due to the Billy's being bottomed out due to shorter dinan springs. The bump stops were holding the car up.

My Cars
    E30 323i

Okay, I just purchased some B8's for the front to go with my already very low and chopped springs. Too low in fact, so I also purchased the 9mm spring padding instead of 3mm to raise it a bit.

The front damper I ordered, 31331124449 - does look a lot shorter than the one you have in your pictures. It looks about the same length as the uncrushed part of your red damper.

Did you have the correct front dampers? My E30 is older though..., so maybe the part number is different.

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    Quote Originally Posted by agisthos View Post
    Okay, I just purchased some B8's for the front to go with my already very low and chopped springs. Too low in fact, so I also purchased the 9mm spring padding instead of 3mm to raise it a bit.

The front damper I ordered, 31331124449 - does look a lot shorter than the one you have in your pictures. It looks about the same length as the uncrushed part of your red damper.

Did you have the correct front dampers? My E30 is older though..., so maybe the part number is different.
    when you are saying "damper" i think you are referring to the "bump stops". the part number you posted is for an EXTERNAL bump stop which is NOT used with a billy damper/strut. the billy bump stops are INSIDE the damper/strut tube and are accessed by knocking the cap off the bottom of the damper/strut. the pics i posted are of the bottom of the damper with cap popped off and piston rod pulled out.

"damper" is the correct term for what is commonly incorrectly referred to as a "shock absorber".
    Last edited by mlytle; 04-12-2020 at 03:26 PM.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is
    What length do you trim the stop to? Any science behind or more of an eyeball chop half

'87 325is
    Build Thread Here

My Cars
    E30 323i
    when you are saying "damper" i think you are referring to the "bump stops". the part number you posted is for an EXTERNAL bump stop which is NOT used with a billy damper/strut. the billy bump stops are INSIDE the damper/strut tube and are accessed by knocking the cap off the bottom of the damper/strut. the pics i posted are of the bottom of the damper with cap popped off and piston rod pulled out.

"damper" is the correct term for what is commonly incorrectly referred to as a "shock absorber".
    Ah so the B8 come with that bump stop inside.
    Glad to find this info as only a few weeks before i put them on.
    But this must surely be a design defect? The point of the B8 is they are for lowered cars, and it seems they have just reused the same bump stop from the B4 and B6 shocks.
    Last edited by agisthos; 04-13-2020 at 09:10 AM.

My Cars
    E30 323i
    btw how does the cap come off to access the internal bump stop?

Do you just lever it off? Or does it screw off? Does it require a bit of force?

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    never updated my thread.... i have the vert on the road... and i love the koni yellows! ride better than the b4s i had in. The ride height is perfect. Corners flat.... I can live with this. Thanks for the recommendation on 1/2 turn from soft.
    1987 BMW 325i Convertible

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson