Thread: Supersprint Long Tube + Resonated Mid Pipe

My Cars
    00 Maxima SE

Supersprint Long Tube + Resonated Mid Pipe

I'm only doing this just for the noise, don't care too much about HP, etc, etc.

Currently, I have AA Muffler (Cat Back) on stock everything. That is better than stock, but I feel the need to hear it little louder. So been thinking about getting Header + Mid section.

Just would like to confirm:
    1. That in order to install this Supersprint mid pipe p/n # 785402 I would need to combine it with Supersprint Long Tube header 785501? I would then need to get O2 simulator or have CEL (no need to pass smog here in my area). Is there a cheaper long tube header out there that would fit to SS mid pipe.
    2. Would these combo bolt on to the AA Muffler that I currently have?
    3. There is also the mid section X pipe. Would this be SS mid pipe be less loud (due to the resonator)?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-superspr...inless/785422/
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-superspr...eaders/785501/

If anyone has the AA Cat Back + SS mid + SS Long Tube headers, I'd like to hear your experience with it.

Thanks
    FEEDBACK THREAD
    00-03 Nissan Maxima HID Retrofit
    6th gen AV6 FX35 Retrofit
    Chassis and Suspension
    2011 Space Grey E82 N55 DCT
    2000 Sunlit Sand Maxima SE 5Spd.
    1997 Arctic Silver E36 M3/4/5.
    1997 Techno Violet E36 M3 Coupe 5Spd (SOLD).

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    I have the Supersprint Tubolare header and resonated midpipe bolted up to a Stromung muffler section. Header and midpipe fit together as a set. To my knowledge there isn't another long tube header that bolts directly to a SS midpipe. Unlike other sets, these pieces go together as a slip fit without flanges. You could make another header work but you'd have to get someone to weld flanges onto the midpipe. There would be fabrication involved.

The SS midpipe will bolt to any muffler section that has stock length and flanges. So yes, your AA will fit just fine. The SS midpipe has one bung for an O2 sensor. My M3 is OBD1 which means I only have one O2 sensor and it's a direct fit. For OBD2 use you could probably have additional bungs welded into the header and midpipe. I have no experience with O2 simulators so I'll leave that for others to comment on.

Sound with SS header + resonated midpipe is throaty and quite a bit louder than stock but I wouldn't call it obnoxiously loud. A non-resonated midpipe would be considerably louder. And while the SS header isn't cheap, it's a super nice piece. They do a good job with the welds and ports. The drawback is it's not a bolt-on solution. It requires the matching SS midpipe and will be missing O2 bungs for your application.

My Cars
    Alpine white 1995 M3
    Excuse my relative ignorance here - would the Raceland header do a similar job here (size + noise) as described? I would not expect SS quality but what about the rest of the deal?

My Cars
    00 Maxima SE
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLastName View Post
    For OBD2 use you could probably have additional bungs welded into the header and midpipe. I have no experience with O2 simulators so I'll leave that for others to comment on.
    This is interesting idea, but not sure if the parameters would work, I would think that the ECM is reading different value between these 2 sensors.
    FEEDBACK THREAD
    00-03 Nissan Maxima HID Retrofit
    6th gen AV6 FX35 Retrofit
    Chassis and Suspension
    2011 Space Grey E82 N55 DCT
    2000 Sunlit Sand Maxima SE 5Spd.
    1997 Arctic Silver E36 M3/4/5.
    1997 Techno Violet E36 M3 Coupe 5Spd (SOLD).

My Cars
    99 M3
    The ECM uses the head pipe twin O2 sensors to control mixture.
    The post-catalytic converter sensors are ‘watch dog’ monitors for catalyst efficiency only, these can be programmed out of the ECM/ECU/DME. Additionally, post-‘cat’ simulator can be used with stock ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 M3

Supersprint Long Tube + Resonated Mid Pipe

Deleted duplicate post
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 04-06-2020 at 06:06 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Genes1s View Post
    This is interesting idea, but not sure if the parameters would work, I would think that the ECM is reading different value between these 2 sensors.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    The ECM uses the head pipe twin O2 sensors to control mixture.
    The post-catalytic converter sensors are ‘watch dog’ monitors for catalyst efficiency only, these can be programmed out of the ECM/ECU/DME. Additionally, post-‘cat’ simulator can be used with stock ECU
    Ah yes... sorry for the confusion. I forgot there are post-cat sensors with OBDII and the SS midsection has no catalytic converter. My bad.

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLastName View Post
    The SS midpipe has one bung for an O2 sensor. My M3 is OBD1 which means I only have one O2 sensor and it's a direct fit. For OBD2 use you could probably have additional bungs welded into the header and midpipe. I have no experience with O2 simulators so I'll leave that for others to comment on.
    I have Raceland longtube reps, US cats, and SS race muffler. I'm OBD2 and obviously don't have an issue with my O2 sensors because I still have the US cats, but you do have to worry about the Secondary Air Pump system with the headers.

OBDII cars have a SAP that runs on startup (helps with cold starts, recycles rich fuel). It grabs air from two ports on the stock headers and will throw a code if the measurements are off, or is removed. SS headers and Raceland reps do not have the two ports necessary to let those exhaust gases out, so you will have to either get the CEL coded out, or run a simulator like this one. I've been using his SAP sim with no issues. And at that point, there's no reason to have the SAP at all so you might as well remove the whole system.

And just as a note, I know I'm still running US cats, but this setup is pretty quiet. I went from a Dinan muffler and stock headers to this and it's really not that much louder... Feels like a half step up, not a full step up I would expect from the "race" version.
    Last edited by Carpy2; 04-06-2020 at 04:31 PM.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    OP, I have SuperSprint long headers, custom mid section with resonators (no cats), and a Strommung cat-back. I have a tune that ignores the O2 sensors. All this being said, I"m going to try to get the car CA SMOG legal, so the headers and mid-pipe will be coming off. I'll probably do that after this whole Stay At Home decree is lifted, so these two sections would be available. This would be plug and play for your application, and you keep your catback. Factor about two months until they are ready. Lemme know if you would be interested at all.
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport