Thread: Chemical odor after longer / harder drives

My Cars
    Alpine white 1995 M3

Chemical odor after longer / harder drives

1995 with 147K on the clock. Acquired by me 2mo ago without much history (from a friend). After longer drives there's a distinct chemical smell apparent around the midsection of the car. Nothing leaking, nothing smoking/steaming. Coolant system is fine (has an OE plastic-end radiator that is in remarkably good shape).

Closest I can think is that it is coolant but not exactly. It's sharp on the nose. Again, nothing leaking so I'm at quite a loss.

What should I be thinking of here and looking for? You really can't smell it inside the car but it's quite obvious on the outside. Hangs around for maybe 15min as the car cools down.

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    I've had to chase down a few weird smells lol. Just a few things I can think of that isn't caused by an obvious fuel/coolant leak. Pretty random thoughts, I don't mean to put you into a wild goose chase.

1. Are you headers wrapped? Header wrap and spray can take many many many heat cycles to fully get the smell out. They normally say one heat cycle is enough, lies! They will continue to smell even after they stop smoking. Mine smelled over multiple track weekends.
    2. Windshield fluid reservoir. Mine had a small leak where the pump interfaced with the reservoir. Sprayed a bit onto the headers when I used them, smelly.
    3. Driveshaft rubbing on underside sound deadening. My driveshaft was rubbing against some material that had fallen down and for some reason smelled bad from all the friction. Had to be under the car to smell this one though, and it's not that chemically...

When you turn your air on inside, do you smell anything funky through the vents?

Just some ideas to maybe spark something.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    Alpine white 1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpy2 View Post
    I've had to chase down a few weird smells lol. Just a few things I can think of that isn't caused by an obvious fuel/coolant leak. Pretty random thoughts, I don't mean to put you into a wild goose chase.

1. Are you headers wrapped? Header wrap and spray can take many many many heat cycles to fully get the smell out. They normally say one heat cycle is enough, lies! They will continue to smell even after they stop smoking. Mine smelled over multiple track weekends.
    2. Windshield fluid reservoir. Mine had a small leak where the pump interfaced with the reservoir. Sprayed a bit onto the headers when I used them, smelly.
    3. Driveshaft rubbing on underside sound deadening. My driveshaft was rubbing against some material that had fallen down and for some reason smelled bad from all the friction. Had to be under the car to smell this one though, and it's not that chemically...

When you turn your air on inside, do you smell anything funky through the vents?

Just some ideas to maybe spark something.
    Hey thanks much for the reply. Stock manifold, no header paint/wrap. Good thought though.

Washer fluid is interesting - I cleaned out the reservoir when I first got the car a couple months ago, replacing the level sensor and pump. I'll look for leaks there.

Driveshaft is very interesting, that's the kind of thing that I was hoping someone would have a clue on. I'll do some spelunking underneath. No funky smells in the air vents!

If I find something interesting I'll post here ... always something