Thread: Starting Tablet Stereo E36 install

My Cars
    1996 328is

Starting Tablet Stereo E36 install

So I am starting my project today using a 7 inch android tablet as my stereo head unit. My goal is to relocate the OBC current radio position. The depth of the new unit is less that 3/4 inch so it fits perfectly with some mods to be done. Wish me luck I will post updates as I go!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 bmw 328i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by E46xSwagon View Post
    So I am starting my project today using a 7 inch android tablet as my stereo head unit. My goal is to relocate the OBC current radio position. The depth of the new unit is less that 3/4 inch so it fits perfectly with some mods to be done. Wish me luck I will post updates as I go!!!
    Hell yes! What are you using for RCA precuts? Want to do this with an iPad mini, but can’t find an adapter for bass and 4 channel pre out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 328is
    So now that I have it apart. I can see what exact clearance I have in all areas. Now that I can see the bottom is spacious enough for the unit I can be assured the rest will be easy. The wire for the OBC is short by literally 1 1/2 short. Don’t be afraid and yank on it from the bottom and you will notice it give slack and exactly enough to relocate the OBC to the stock stereo location. More to come.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Harris View Post
    Hell yes! What are you using for RCA precuts? Want to do this with an iPad mini, but can’t find an adapter for bass and 4 channel pre out.

i updated photos to include which one I am using. I will be switching to an Alpine soon. Will post those updates when it happens.
    Last edited by E46xSwagon; 04-04-2020 at 06:21 PM.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    Have had mine for 3 years now. Probably going to replace it with a newer one soon and get steering wheel controls working as well.
    IMG_20160522_214728623.jpg
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    1997 bmw 328i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    Have had mine for 3 years now. Probably going to replace it with a newer one soon and get steering wheel controls working as well.
    IMG_20160522_214728623.jpg

I did that long ago. Been trying to integrate the actual tablet into the dash. Requires adapters.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    So now that I have it all out I can see exactly what I can and cannot do. As far as my plan to put the screen at the bottom it looks good to go. The OBC wire is a little short, don’t be alarmed if you source it to the chassis as far as you can, grab a hold and slowly pull on the wires and you will gladly find that you can pull it out about 2 extra inches which is exactly what you need!! As far as fitment you will notice I use a dremel to enlarge the bezel that holds the radio. This HAS to be done if you want your OBC to even come close to fitting into the given spot. Climate control is left intact and unbothered. To be continued...

My Cars
    1996 328is
    OBC fitted after grinding out the bezel on all for corners by 4mm.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    I did that long ago. Been trying to integrate the actual tablet into the dash. Requires adapters.

Mine is an Android Tablet
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    1997 bmw 328i sedan
    Mine is an Android Tablet
    I would use the iPad mini. I’m an apple guy, lol. Better sound quality, and stability, and better equalizer options.
    The bracketing is the easy part. Have done it to several. The adapter for the RCA preout is a pain. Easy as it should be, all of my audio is from amplifiers anyway.
    Been looking for a quality lightning to RCA PREOUT with 4 sets of RCAs.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    So after a bit of trial and error getting the amp to power the factory amp I figured it out. So on the harness that goes the the car, you need to tap the blue remote wire to the red ignition power wire (yes on the same plug) then the power from the pre-amp plugs into these two now spliced wires. That should power your stock amp and give you sound.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    I would use the iPad mini. I’m an apple guy, lol. Better sound quality, and stability, and better equalizer options.
    The bracketing is the easy part. Have done it to several. The adapter for the RCA preout is a pain. Easy as it should be, all of my audio is from amplifiers anyway.
    Been looking for a quality lightning to RCA PREOUT with 4 sets of RCAs.

With Android you can use DAC's and add all sorts of different equalizers with them. Apple just locks things down so much wanting to get as close as they can to forcing you to use their stuff without actually doing it. With an Android and an Arduino I can have fully customizable steering wheel controls, any possible amp setup I can imagine and honestly do all of it for less then the cost of an iPad.
    Last edited by somebody5788; 04-04-2020 at 09:58 PM.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    With Android you can use DAC's and add all sorts of different equalizers with them. Apple just locks things down so much wanting to get as close as they can to forcing you to use their stuff without actually doing it. With an Android and an Arduino I can have fully customizable steering wheel controls, any possible amp setup I can imagine and honestly do all of it for less then the cost of an iPad.

exactly why I chose android based, for all the options to customize and to do so without restrictions to very little restrictions.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    We now have the OBC moved up to radio location. Again modification to the trim must be done( shaved down 4mm on all sides) so when you feel the frame where the radio trim sits you will feel a lip on all sides, cut those all off. Now the bottom part of the tray are 4 tracks, shave those down flat cause it will prevent the OBC unit from sitting in properly. OBC is now finished and you can reconnect the climate control and put it back to its original spot. This next part I did isn’t for those who aren’t prepared to go outside of their comfort zone. But next we will be cutting the tray off of the bottom console where your cigarette lighter is. This allows you to now fit the 7 inch tablet perfectly into the bottom open square. Now to secure your tablet is entirely up to you on whether or not you want to make it removeable or to make it permanent. I made my removeable as I will be upgrading the tablet pretty soon so for now I have the bottom double sided 3M taped between the tablet and the bottom half of the console that we just cut. (It happens to stick out far enough for the tablet/bezel to test on.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    I use Macrodroid to control functions such as turning on and off with ignition as well as auto play music where you left off.

My Cars
    1997 bmw 328i sedan

I just ordered the DSP to start the iPad install. Nice build man. Work well done!

My Cars
    1996 328is

I just ordered the DSP to start the iPad install. Nice build man. Work well done!

im so stoked you are pulling the trigger!!! I would definitely like to see how your functions are with the iPad. Thank you!!! I appreciate you following the process! So far sound is amazing, oddly enough a lot more clearer and more bass than the old alpine head unit.

My Cars
    1997 bmw 328i sedan
    I have installed the DSP connected to my iPhone for now. And I’ll say. ITS GREAT. the sound quality and install was superior and easy.

My Cars
    1997 bmw 328i sedan
    Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been super busy. The DSP is installed in the factory h/u location. The iPad mount will cover the factory mount and the climate control, as I’ll be relocating the climate control. The pioneer s1000a DSP is primary for apple products. 31 band EQ on the app and completely customizable.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    So far all great things from the install? I love it might give it a go in the wife’s car. Would love pictures

My Cars
    96 328is x 96 328i Vert
    Update: removed tablet and made a new panel that includes a TomTom, aux port and usb charging port. And I just hooked up a USB Bluetooth with aux for wireless music.