Thread: 2002 e39 540i engine failsafe program

My Cars
    2002 540i sport

2002 e39 540i engine failsafe program

I've come here in search of help for why i keep getting my engine failsafe popping up and going away. It started about a month or so ago and has continuously been popping up at random times and going away (when im really driving the car pops up). today i took a corner at about 30-40mph and it popped up. however the difference i feel like I'm having opposed to everyone else is the engine failsafe does not seem to really have any effect on the car at all. Iv'e charged the battery, tried getting codes with ob2 sensor (no codes come up). I've tried looking around but can't seem to find anybody that has experienced things similar. id really appreciate any help!

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Lets talk about this in the Bimmerforums.Com sub-forum where issues with your specific model are discussed.

Good luck getting an answer to your question.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    01 540/6
    welcome to the forum, there may be codes a generic obd2 reader cant see. u really need a bmw specific reader that can see bmw codes... get inpa ... search for that... i like mikes bmw tools... its free ,and with the interface cable , ( u need a cable) plug the cable into the obd2 port and then u can connect the laptop, then, u can see all modules, and specific error codes

hth RD

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    You have a drive by wire problem. Most likley it's the throttle but maybe even the accellerator pedal. Several of us have had that problem. It won't necessarily turn on the Check Engine Light because it's not emissions related.
    You also lose traction control and the cruise control. There are several short term fixes like removing the intake snorkle and moving the throttle butterfly by hand a few times, or turing the ignition to the "run" position and cycling the accellerator pedal through it's range of motion several times.
    Eventually you will probably need to replace the throttle body.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Start by thoroughly cleaning the throttle body, its connectors and both sides of its plates- with carb cleaner. Clean up the MAF as well while you are there.
    Then reset the adaptations (engine off, key to position 2, wait 31 seconds, remove key).
    Also, check your alternator and make sure your battery is fully charged.
    Then test again. Often, that is all there is to it.
    Last edited by Chedley; 04-03-2020 at 02:09 AM.

My Cars
    2002 540i sport
    i had been outta town for the weekend and took it on about a 30 mile drive yesterday. all was fine and cruise control was working too, I drove around a loop to get onto the freeway and as i was turning it popped up. It didnt seem like i lost much throttle response or anything car got me home fine. I came back here to check and see if you think its still a drive by wire problem? and how quickly i should try to get the throttle body replaced? thanks

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    For years I'd get it too. In the beginning it was maybe every 6 months, then every month, then every week, then every day. I'd shut the engine off, restart it, it then was OK until the next random failure.
    Cleaning the throttle body and the pot inside didn't help me, neither did replacing the throttle body and the pedal pot.
    I finally replaced the TB and MAF connector, the pins, and the wiring, that was 2 years ago and it's been fine since then.

My Cars
    2002 525i
    First, you really need a scan tool to get the exact codes. Otherwise everybody is guessing and that's never good.

I had very very similar issues for a long time. Replacing the MAF helped but didn't totally fix it. The issue turned out to be a vacuum leak in one of the air intake hoses. It wasn't big, and it only happened at certain times, but those occasions were consistent. Fail safe, but you really couldn't tell by driving. There'd be a sort of stumble, the DING, and then all was OK.

I contrast this with the time, shortly after I bought the project, where the throttle body did semi-fail. DING, failsafe, and barely driveable. Just enough to cripple back to the shop.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540I M-sport
    2003 E39 540i M-sport
    I have replaced my throttle body after having engine failsafe program, but the code came back again and having issues with acceleration. Now I have 71, 72, 73, and punch of 80's code related to throttle potentiometer position error and learning computer error. I also changed camshaft sensors. I haven't changed acceleration pedal yet and didn't drive the car much for the last two years. Also have ,battery drainage and replaced the battery. Little bit frustrated with engine failsafe program issue. I had this car for almost a decade. How do I clear adaptation without having BMW computer software? Any advise is much appreciated.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    To clear or reset the adaptations : (turn engine off, turn key to position 2 but do not start, wait 31 seconds, remove key).
    Make sure the battery is good and fully charged, then test again.

Codes 71,72,73 are misfires, right ? Do you know on which cylinders? Anyway, I'd start by checking/cleaning//replacing the spark plugs.
    Last edited by Chedley; 02-13-2021 at 07:07 AM.