Thread: Clutch pedal goes to floor

My Cars
    1985 M635csi, 2008 535xi

Clutch pedal goes to floor

Hello all:
    I took my 1985 M635csi out of storage last week and the clutch pedal went to the floor with no resistance, and remains there until I pull it up manually. I am thinking possibly a leaky slave cylinder seal? I checked the fluid level in the brass colored reservoir next to the fuse box, which I am guessing is for the slave cylinder, and it is somewhat low, but not terribly. The fluid just barely reaches the screen. Is this the same brake fluid as in the brake master cyclinder?
    If anyone can offer suggestions, I would be very appreciative.
    Thanks.
    1985 M635csi purchased new.
    "Voters will always choose the beautiful lie over the uncomfortable truth."

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.4
    First thing to do is check the level in the brake fluid reservoir, the one that is on the brake master cylinder. It supplies the fluid for the clutch also. If the level is below the hose fitting for the clutch you will just need to add fluid to reservoir and bleed the clutch using proceedures found in this or other forums.

The slve cylinder could be leaking requireing a rebuild or replacement, hose from or suppling the clutch master cylinder could be leaking, or the clutch master cylinder could be bad.

The cltch on these things are a bear to properly bleed, requires getting the slave cylinder bleed screw oriented up and capturing the push rod to ensure the piston is not pushed out of the bore. Some folks have luck doing a reverse bleed pressurizing the circuit from the slave cylinder beed screw which backfills the system into the brake reservoir.

Check for fluid on the ground below the slave cylinder and wetness on the bottom of the bell housing as the slave cylinder leaks into it.

Clutch master cyllinder is between the petal assembly and floor inside the car, tube exits firewall near starter on left hand drive machines.

The reservoir you check the level in is the power steering and brake fluid tank, if you you had not run the engine in a while the level you found is correct.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    You can remove the slave with all lines intact and flip it upside down so the bleeder screw is non-dependent. Free the screw before removal. I let gravity do the rest while ensuring the brake fluid level does not fall below the little orifice that feeds the clutch.
    Last edited by RSheiman; 04-02-2020 at 04:26 PM.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    A lot of pumping has worked good for me thru the years. 10 seconds pumping, 30 seconds break.

My Cars
    1985 M635csi, 2008 535xi
    Thank you all for your suggestions. The car will be on hold for a little while, as we are in the midst of a move. Ugh!
    I'll be able to get back to the important priority (the car) in a couple of weeks. (hopefully)
    1985 M635csi purchased new.
    "Voters will always choose the beautiful lie over the uncomfortable truth."