Thread: BMW E36 Flashing Switch

My Cars
    Bmw E36

BMW E36 Flashing Switch

My E36 Soft Top is not functioning at all using the switch found in centre console it only flashes . Only way I can get it to go 3/4 up is by manually folding it after pulling red lever under seat.

I have individually powered each of the three motors they all work.

I have found two microswitches by the front motor

One Microswitch in the back passenger side of the soft top and one on the hinges by the storage section.

But no idea on how to test them?

I Have checked power cable (red) on convertible module behind the back passenger door card it has an average of 8-9 volts to it.

Lastly I am able to open my boot even when the storage section is open is that supposed to be that way?

Any ideas on how to diagnose the fault ??

Thanks in advance

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    PM sent

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    What year is the Car? Semi auto or fully auto top?

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    So far OP has found a bad microswitch and fixed that now they have a new issue can someone help?

" Issue:
    Trying to do a roof reset, motors are engaged, checked and replaced all fuses for Roof
    While trying to do the roof reset, hold open button for 10 seconds and turn ignition 2 clicks, hold for another 10 seconds, the windows all make a clicking sound and do not move, this has to be a micro sensor or switch, but which one and where do I find it?

If i leave all the windows up and do the same process, the windows all drop down together in stages, go,stop,go,stop, milliseconds in between. Once they are all down, the clicking continues"

My Cars
    Bmw E36
    Car is an 1999 328i has fully auto roof

Thanks for the reply

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    Try doing a search using re sync as your search.
    I quickly did this and found a couple of things:
    My 98 M3 top won’t sync the way the directions say it’s supposed to. I start the procedure at the point where the front part of the top comes off the windshield and the back is supposed to start lifting off the tonneau cover. Not sure why this works, but it’s the only way my top will sync.

and this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...hlight=re+sync

There is a wealth of info here. Good luck.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I have a '94 with the semi-auto top, the Resync Procedure was wrong. I forget what was happening, but I was trying to get the top to sync while starting in the storage bin, but it had to be fully raised, and it sync'd while going down. The blinking switch on the Fully Auto Top should mean that the control module is on the fritz.

The top should not move if the trunk is not closed, and the trunk should not be allowed to open unless the roof is fully up or fully down. (It's a possibility that the windshield header is not latched and the trunk can still be opened, but it's absolutely certain that the trunk will not open if the tonneau cover lid is not fully latched. You can press down on the right side of the tonneau cover and listen for the trunk linkage to trigger.)
    Last edited by JDStrickland; 04-06-2020 at 03:22 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Windshield header latched or not doesn't matter. Trunk can not be opened unless the tonneau cover is fully closed. The interlock microswitch is located on the right tonneau cover lock. Only in the full closed position this switch is triggers and allows opening the trunk.

So with the roof unlatched from windshield and even the rear tension bow 90 degrees up, as long as tonneau is closed, trunk will open.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1997 323i Convertible
    Sorry for reviving old thread but was the problem here ever found? I'm having the exact same issue.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328ic
    Last summer the trunk got too wet with heavy rain&a leak somewhere. The button would flash, nothing else.

tried to do a reset, got partway thru it, then nothing

took it to a dealer for “level 1 diagnostic” - they couldn’t find anything concrete, suggested next level. Did warn me about concerns about trunk wiring, but nothing concrete.

parked it for the winter in the garage, left the trunk open including the spare cover lifted

couple weeks ago, drove it out of the garage, hit the button & the roof worked - drops down and goes back up normally. I did nothing to the top wiring.

fully auto top

now to find the leak…