RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 1994 BMW 318i manual DME fault code

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i

1994 BMW 318i manual DME fault code

My 318i lost power on the highway. Cranks, no spark or injectors evident. Engine would start tapping relays but stall 10 seconds later. Scanned diagnostics and fault codes 200, 42, and 16 came up. I'm based in Adelaide and would need the DME, key and key reader sent off to Melbourne to get it tested further. Other option is to buy second hand DME, key and reader then program that to the car. Has anyone had a similar issue with their DME, know what the cause is, or know what the best option is moving forward? Thanks

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What scanner are you using? Those codes mean nothing to us. We need the definitions. It sounds like you may have a bad relay as you wrote that tapping on a relay or relays made the engine start.

There are several things that can prevent the fuel pump from running and prevent the spark plugs from firing. One is a bad crankshaft position sensor. Also, a bad camshaft position sensor can, in some models, prevent the engine from starting.

Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car’s VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Relays are located in the vehicle electrical system section. Scroll waaay down to find them.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    NO EWS on that '94 so if you suspect the DME its plug and play.
    Has it been wet? The DME's home in the cowl is prone to flooding. Seen it myself.
    Should you need the new DME I believe I have the correct one for you, 0 261 200 990.
    Shipping to OZ will be pricey but given the prices I hear you have to pay down under might be worthwhile.
    PM if you need it.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    As Marco pointed out, those code numbers are meaningless to us. Do you have a scan tool that gives words?

Unless the DME has been wet, I'd call it the last suspect. First suspects would include a failing/corroded relay, or a failing or disconnected crank position sensor. When cranking the starter, does the rev counter move at all?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    NO EWS on that '94 so if you suspect the DME its plug and play.
    Has it been wet? The DME's home in the cowl is prone to flooding. Seen it myself.
    Should you need the new DME I believe I have the correct one for you, 0 261 200 990.
    Shipping to OZ will be pricey but given the prices I hear you have to pay down under might be worthwhile.
    PM if you need it.
    I don't believe it has been wet, there was no evidence of flooding. The DME number I have is 0 261 203 277, and also has a key reader. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    What scanner are you using? Those codes mean nothing to us. We need the definitions. It sounds like you may have a bad relay as you wrote that tapping on a relay or relays made the engine start.

There are several things that can prevent the fuel pump from running and prevent the spark plugs from firing. One is a bad crankshaft position sensor. Also, a bad camshaft position sensor can, in some models, prevent the engine from starting.

Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car’s VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Relays are located in the vehicle electrical system section. Scroll waaay down to find them.
    I don't know what scan tool was used, my mechanic sent me a picture of the screen and it read:
    200 - DME Control Unit
    42 - Signal, knock sensor 2
    16 - DIS ignition system feedback signal

Thanks I'll check it out

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    As Marco pointed out, those code numbers are meaningless to us. Do you have a scan tool that gives words?

Unless the DME has been wet, I'd call it the last suspect. First suspects would include a failing/corroded relay, or a failing or disconnected crank position sensor. When cranking the starter, does the rev counter move at all?
    200 - DME Control Unit
    42 - Signal, knock sensor 2
    16 - DIS ignition system feedback signal

Yes when cranking the starter the rev counter would move as usual, it just wouldn't turn over. I don't believe the DME has been wet, and it seems structurally fine

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I'd probably replace the main (DME) relay first. Make sure to use the exactly correct relay which matches the diagram in the ETM's! (See page 100 of this document for a picture of the relay's workings. The diagram on the side of the relay you install must exactly match this:
    http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

Also make sure that the DME is properly mounted (grounded) in its brackets, or externally ground it via a separate wire clipped or bolted to the DME during testing. Many early E36's require this external grounding to deliver spark and injector pulse.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471