Thread: Rise of the Machines

My Cars
    2014 BMW 335xi

Rise of the Machines

Over in the 3 series there is a demarcation point between the E46 and the E90 where the cars suddenly got more complicated and technology laden. That is around 2005 or 2006 when it changed.
    Is there a comparable switch over in the Z cars ?
    I am considering one, but I don't need or want all the extra features, I would rather have a spare tire and a dipstick.

My Cars
    Z4 never had a spare tire. And if you want a dipstick, you'll have to get an earlier model with an M54 engine. I believe the switch from M54 to N52 was somewhere around 2006. Honestly, I would much, much rather have an N52 versus an M54. The lack of a dipstick really is a non-issue.

And the Z4 never really got overly complicated and tech laden. They were always pretty basic. The change from E85 to E89 may have been somewhat of a turning point. Similar to the change from E46 to E90. But E90's are still very basic compared to today's cars.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Z4 never had a spare tire. And if you want a dipstick, you'll have to get an earlier model with an M54 engine. I believe the switch from M54 to N52 was somewhere around 2006. Honestly, I would much, much rather have an N52 versus an M54. The lack of a dipstick really is a non-issue.

And the Z4 never really got overly complicated and tech laden. They were always pretty basic. The change from E85 to E89 may have been somewhat of a turning point. Similar to the change from E46 to E90. But E90's are still very basic compared to today's cars.
    Says the guy whom apparently never had to hunt down which dag gone light bulb was out on his z4? lol
    I would suggest an e30 convertible and hope you don't have to deal with the maf.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    Says the guy whom apparently never had to hunt down which dag gone light bulb was out on his z4? lol
    I would suggest an e30 convertible and hope you don't have to deal with the maf.
    If you think finding which bulb is out is bad, try any basic service on any newer turbo engine...

As White94rx said, the E85 Z4 was based on the E46 and E89 based on the E90. So the change from E46 type tech to E90 tech occured between E85 and E89. In most ways the newer cars are more difficult to service although some aspects of them become easier.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!