Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 635csi Market Prices

My Cars
    none

635csi Market Prices

I've been in the market for a late-model 635csi for the past few months and have been surprised both by the lack of private party sales and the crazy prices that dealers are charging for these cars.

Would never buy from a dealer anyway but wondering if anyone has insight as to why these are priced the way they are-is this normal market?

What would you consider a good price range for a well-maintained, ready to drive '88 or '89 635csi in manual and auto?

Would be interested to know your thoughts.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    bring a trailer has good selling price history

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    bring a trailer has good selling price history
    This.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    none
    Gotcha--thank you both

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    You may have a hard time finding an 88-89 with 5-speed that isn't an M6. You may also find better deals on 85-86 models and and even better on 83-84.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by wogden700 View Post
    You may have a hard time finding an 88-89 with 5-speed that isn't an M6. You may also find better deals on 85-86 models and and even better on 83-84.

Completely agree--I was thinking that. Appreciate the suggestion-problem is I covet the 88/89 bumper styling. So few 5 speeds in those two years and I'm afraid of the M6 due to what I hear can be big-money maintenance costs on the s38, especially if I can find a 'lower cost' one between $20k-$30k in decent shape (unlikely). Puts me back to looking for a 635 and unfortunately, I think I'm stuck having to search for an automatic.

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    You'll also be unlikely to find sport seats in those years. If it's just the bumpers you don't like those aren't impossible to swap especially if you're going to World bumpers.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by wogden700 View Post
    You'll also be unlikely to find sport seats in those years. If it's just the bumpers you don't like those aren't impossible to swap especially if you're going to World bumpers.

Yes. Read some threads on that here--to confirm an 86 or 87 can be swapped to world bumpers with the world bumper front valence/air dam--front and back? Any idea of cost (I couldn't do that myself).

Re the front seats couldn't I get an '88/'89 and switch out the comfort seats for sports seats from an M6 (prob hard to find) or M5 (or even a period 5 series)?

My Cars
    89 635CSi, Nissan Murano
    88-89 front and rear bumpers, valances, and rear splash pan are different, I'm sure you would need to buy all the pieces to make the swap. If you could find used parts it might work depending on what you want to spend.

I buy my factory parts from Maximilian http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com he has connections around the world and I have always done well with him. I just replaced my 89 front valance, two years only. He told me when I got mine there were three left in his available inventory, they are scarce and costly $700.00 plus shipping about $90.00 than paint. I tried to find a rear bumper only and they are no longer available through him but there seem to be a few floating around. The retail price is about $450.00 my dealer up here found one and was going to give me a deal $675.00 no thanks lol...

Good luck with the swap, I would bet you can find used but again, how much do you want to spend. JMHO.
    SprCpe
    1989 635csi # 3268410
    Built in Germany with love.
    Ostatecznym maszyny jazdy BMW

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    I swapped to World Bumpers about 4 yrs ago. I got them from a part out.
    Bumpers, rubber inserts, front bumper top cover, rear bottom cover, shocks
    No front air dam. I think I paid $700.00 shipped.

Installation was very straight forward, only fabricate was to drill an extra
    hole in the lower quarters. I did buy new rubber inserts and painted the bumpers black.
    the finish on the bumpers were really ok but I like the black.

As you can see I left the 86 air dam on but I couldn't get it to align on the ends. Taylor did the
    same swap and was able to align his. At the last "Idiotfest" in RI I crawled under and took photos
    of his install but I could not duplicate the finished look like he had.

So, I wound up with a Word Bumper air dam, fog lights and covers from BMW Morristown NJ.
    I buy most of my OEM parts from Mike, their internet parts guy. He's great.

Here are photos of before and after with the new World air dam.

Just as an FYI I do have an extra rear lower valance if anyone needs one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1986series6; 04-05-2020 at 08:05 AM.

My Cars
    none
    Appreciate the info and the recommendations SprCpe and 1986series6. Thanks for the tip on Maximilian and Mike at BMW Morristown.

Swap on the 86 looks great btw-like the black bumpers. World air dam completes the look.

Still looking for the right car. Will keep posted if I go pre-88 model and the swap route. If either of you get word in the future of anyone in the community selling a well sorted '88 or '89 csi in black please do let me know. Would be great to find someone who really took care of their e24

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    A sharp looking car just went on bring a trailer. Should be well within your budget.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-635csi-30/

My Cars
    88m5,2015 Silverado
    Just buy the S38 or M88 M car... Bring it to me and I'll rebuild the engine. I've had an S38 engine E28 M5 now for almost 20 years. The only thing that is even interesting otherwise is super chargers or turbos on the others. of course, engine swaps are gtg

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Hi Warner,

Wow what a nice 6 on BAT, it looks well sorted even though it's an auto, although I drove my auto for 30 years before the trans swap and enjoyed every minute of it.

"635bmwIV" this is a car you should seriously consider. If I was looking for a 6 this would be the one but I'm partial to Bronzit.

I think that 6 is worth between 12 and 15, it looks very clean and a well cared for 6. The engine compartment is especially in good detailed condition.

The underneath of the pan shows good as well.

I hope you get this car and enjoy the experience. Oh yeah, only 120 thousand plus miles, my goodness get it.
    Last edited by 1986series6; 04-11-2020 at 09:11 AM.

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    Hi Bob yeah I'm interested to see what this one brings on the market. It looks in remarkably good shape and has very few owners, but it's not a particularly desirable version and it's got higher miles.
    I don't see this car going over 20,000, and I think your numbers are spot-on but I have a feeling the reserve might be a little high.

But as someone else said it might just be better to buy the m6 which will be optioned the way he wants it and put a little money into making sure the maintenance is up-to-date which really isn't that much.

There was a good driver quality m635 on there just a few days ago. If I had to do it over again I think that's the car I would look for.

Bronzit does look great and I'd love to see those bronze TRX wheels on that car I bet they look amazing.

My Cars
    88m5,2015 Silverado
    Lot of RNM lately on BAT

My Cars
    none
    I saw the Bronzit on BAT, its a beauty. Not a huge bronzit fan but it checks all the boxes. Going to be thinking about it. SLS removed (is that a big deal-upgrade/downgrade?--one area I lack knowledge). Did not mind the SLS on my last e24.

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by 635bmwIV View Post
    I saw the Bronzit on BAT, its a beauty. Not a huge bronzit fan but it checks all the boxes. Going to be thinking about it. SLS removed (is that a big deal-upgrade/downgrade?--one area I lack knowledge). Did not mind the SLS on my last e24.
    A lot of people remove it as part of adding lowering springs, or just so they don't have to deal with the added complexity. That car looks like it's been lowered. Also there's some talk in the comments about whether. those later model cars have the mounting bosses for the manual transmission I don't know if there's any truth to that but certainly something to research if you have your heart set on swapping to a manual later.

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    Am I the only one who thinks the BAT car was hit on the right side, too many shades of Bronzit.................... even though it states "clean carfax".

I have an 88 M6 and an 85 635 and there are pros and cons to both and they drive totally differently but both quite enjoyable.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    Your eyes must be better than mine, but the listing does mention a dent repair to the right rear quarter panel.

What would you say are the cons of the m6?

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    If he buys it and wants to swap a 5 speed I have a boss for the gear shift.

A couple of shades to me means someone who stayed on top of things.

And Warner, just to break chops quarters are rear, fenders are front.

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986series6 View Post
    If he buys it and wants to swap a 5 speed I have a boss for the gear shift.

A couple of shades to me means someone who stayed on top of things.

And Warner, just to break chops quarters are rear, fenders are front.
    You're preaching to the choir Bob I grew up on boats and the quarter is always aft of amidships as opposed to the shoulder or bow which is forward of amidships. I didn't know it actually crossed over to cars though.

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    The pro and con of an M6 is the engine. Many believe the thing needs work at 100K, specifically, timing chain tensioner, chain guides, valves re-shimmed. I bought my M6 with 98 K and had the engine sorted and other than valves, all else was fine. I cannot give many specifics since my M6 really has been reliable. Last I looked, an engine rebuild was 5-7K, not sure now. But.....

Not unique to the M6 but to newer E24's and all US M6's is the SLS system which may be reliable but not at the age of 30. Usually have to replace it, I did so with BMW short red springs.

Many suspension parts are the same between the M6 and 635. Parts that are not, are much more expensive. Example is the diff mount, like 4 times the cost.

Some repairs are easier, the starter is way easier to change in the M6.

They drive totally different obviously, the 635 is refined, the M6 is a beast. Although I re-did the M6 stereo system, not sure why I bothered. I do prefer to listen to the engine.

Be aware that the M635 was brought to the US to race so if you look at one of those, have the engine sorted by someone who knows. I looked at a bunch and found my 635 drove similarly, telling me the M635's were tired.

I have had many notes left on the M6 windshield asking if I wanted to sell it, no notes for the 635.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Warner,

I like that, we should call them shoulders from now on.

I hope were in the clear for a fall "Idiotfest" can't wait to see you guys again.

My Cars
    none
    Thanks for all the advice. Looks like the BAT bonzit went for $11.3k. In the end of the day decided to wait for a black '88 or '89. Hopefully there are some on the market this summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast