Thread: Dim dials/instrument panel in daylight driving

My Cars
    2019 530d M Sport G30

Dim dials/instrument panel in daylight driving

Under day-time driving conditions, I find it difficult to see the speedometer and other instruments under the hooded fascia. This is particularly bad in bright outside conditions. Then, I am normally wearing sunglasses, so that makes it worse. I tried looking for a way to turn on some back-lighting, unsuccessfully. I mentioned my problem to the local dealer (Doncaster BMW in Melbourne Australia), and they said that was the way it was, implying I would need to put up with it. The central screen is also not very bright. In that case it is possible to dial up the brightness. I have dialed up to the max, but would like it brighter. Seems like I need to become a nocturnal driver with lights on, when there is a satisfactory backlit illumination of relevant dials, screens etc. Does anyone else have this problem? Perhaps it is unique to Australian RHD 1Ms (about 300 of them)?

My Cars
    2019 530d M Sport G30
    After consulting with a neighbour, who has a 1-Series 125i manual convertible, seems like a solution is to drive with the light switch on running or low beam NOT auto. Then, I can increase the backlight intensity to maximum. Also, instead of using polaroid sunglasses, use regular clip-on shades. That's the way to do it -- as the song goes "money for nothing, chicks for free".

My Cars
    2019 530d M Sport G30
    Quote Originally Posted by huntingbob View Post
    Under day-time driving conditions, I find it difficult to see the speedometer and other instruments under the hooded fascia. This is particularly bad in bright outside conditions. Then, I am normally wearing sunglasses, so that makes it worse. I tried looking for a way to turn on some back-lighting, unsuccessfully. I mentioned my problem to the local dealer (Doncaster BMW in Melbourne Australia), and they said that was the way it was, implying I would need to put up with it. The central screen is also not very bright. In that case it is possible to dial up the brightness. I have dialed up to the max, but would like it brighter. Seems like I need to become a nocturnal driver with lights on, when there is a satisfactory backlit illumination of relevant dials, screens etc. Does anyone else have this problem? Perhaps it is unique to Australian RHD 1Ms (about 300 of them)?
    1. Run car with light switch on Running or Low beam NOT Auto. Then, it is possible to amp up the backlighting to maximum (at least it is adjustable).
    2. Wear regular sunshades NOT polarising ones. That helps.
    As the song goes: "Money for nothing, chicks for free".
    Last edited by huntingbob; 04-04-2020 at 05:32 PM.