Thread: 2001 bmw 740il

My Cars
    01 BMW 740il

2001 bmw 740il

Hi I have a question regarding a 2001 BMW 740il that I wanna buy off a guy. So he’s selling he’s daily driver but said that it smokes like a locomotive (I’m guessing it smokes a lot) and that he had the timing chain guides, vanos and chain replaced. And It started to smoke three weeks after the repair. He said that he always kept up with its regular maintenance and made sure the car ran strong and kept it clean in & out. Soo my question is does anyone know how that smoke smoke can be fixed and if it’s fixable, if it’s fixable then I will be able to fix it. I really like he’s car a lot and I would like to buy it but before I do, I wanna know more or less how that can be fixed. So my question is, How can I get rid of the smoke issue on the car. And can I drive it off from he’s house to mine with the car smoking like that ? Please help any advice could help me a lot. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

My Cars
    2000 E38 740i Sport
    Depends what's causing the smoke.........

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Pcv plate on the back of the intake manifold would be the most common thing for smoking out the tail pipe, have him out one on

My Cars
    E38, E39, 2020 GRACHE
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonilainez View Post
    Hi I have a question regarding a 2001 BMW 740il that I wanna buy off a guy. So he’s selling he’s daily driver but said that it smokes like a locomotive (I’m guessing it smokes a lot) and that he had the timing chain guides, vanos and chain replaced. And It started to smoke three weeks after the repair. He said that he always kept up with its regular maintenance and made sure the car ran strong and kept it clean in & out. Soo my question is does anyone know how that smoke smoke can be fixed and if it’s fixable, if it’s fixable then I will be able to fix it. I really like he’s car a lot and I would like to buy it but before I do, I wanna know more or less how that can be fixed. So my question is, How can I get rid of the smoke issue on the car. And can I drive it off from he’s house to mine with the car smoking like that ? Please help any advice could help me a lot. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.
    Do u have the link ? is this the one he bought off his neighbors and did the guides him self? if so, stay away its been for sale for some time and has already been looked at by people on here. I may be confusing it, but it sure sounds familiar..

**And about the smoking--everyone is quick to say the PCV or the CCV but in reality, the motor could have been overheated and it could have bad valve seals or worse.
    Last edited by alexisonfire; 03-31-2020 at 10:44 AM.

My Cars
    2001 740i M Sport
    If you are not mechanically inclined, or at least wealthy enough to pay a good mechanic, then stay away from E38.
    2001 740i M-Sport
    All Stock, 142K miles

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    +1 Johns01e38 has it right. If you can’t diagnose the smoke, don’t buy it. Your family will tell you ‘ I told you so’ forever

My Cars
    01 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by alexisonfire View Post
    Do u have the link ? is this the one he bought off his neighbors and did the guides him self? if so, stay away its been for sale for some time and has already been looked at by people on here. I may be confusing it, but it sure sounds familiar..

**And about the smoking--everyone is quick to say the PCV or the CCV but in reality, the motor could have been overheated and it could have bad valve seals or worse.

here is the link it’s here located in San Antonio, Tx. https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pt...081876008.html idk if your from here or not. I hope you’re right about it.

My Cars
    2001 750il Chrome line
    If you really want an E38 and you are willing to redo all of his work it is a nice car and the price is really not that bad. Does it smoke at start up or continuously? If it is only at start up you would be looking at the vapor recovery system. He should have replaced the turbine behind the chain guides that would be in the parts list. If he did not then you may have found your problem but would have to pull the front off the engine anyway. Second would be the feed tube under the manifold to the PVC, either or both could be the problem and should have been replaced.

If it smokes continuously do a compression check, broken rings? If that is the case you could get a used motor or if you are really ambitious rebuild that motor. Either way the car seems to be in good shape and if you go in with motor replacement in your head you won't get burned.
    01' 750il Chromeline
    95 M3 LS swapped
    07 M5 Manual
    06' M5, Spartan wheels and a 507hp V10
    00' 740il Dinan, CAI, Romulus exhaust, Stage 5 engine and transmission tune, 750 brakes, camber plates, strut tower brace. Sold
    00' 323i wagon for daughter
    03' 525i wagon for the wife, sold
    98' 740i for the daughter, wrecked
    92' 525i with over 200k, wrecked
    02' R1200 CLC, hit by a bus and broken in half. That one made the news!
    It's like herpes there is no cure but if treated properly you can live with it for the rest of your life

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Only four things will make an engine smoke:
    1. Too much fuel in the cylinders
    2. Too much oil in the cylinders
    3. Too much coolant in the cylinders
    4. It’s on fire

Each of these could be simple or complex to address, at $1000 it’s not really a financial decision. If you want to make a driver out of it you’ve got plenty of good advice here. As for me, I wouldn’t make an offer until I did a leak down test, compression test and block test where it sits. If all those pass I’d consider an offer.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    If the rest of the car is nice, then get it, with the cost of a new/used motor swap built in. What’s going on inside that motor is anyone’s guess, and other mistakes may have been made. Don’t count on it as a DD for quite some time.