Thread: black seats in a tan interior?

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL

black seats in a tan interior?

my 2000 2.5 has the not so flattering standard tan ostrich seats... i've found some fairly nice M seats at decent price, but they're black. i'm on the fence... what's the forum's opinion?

i rebuilt my console years ago, and have black inserts around the shifter & radio. aside from the gauges and console pocket, there are no other black interior accents.

i have a black top... which i'll be replacing soon.

in other news: now that it's warming up, i'll be starting the suspension overhall and RF kit install. the new top will go on, then maybe some M seats... i've always wanted them, but the cost of the seats and the replacement covers would be stupid right now, considering economic outlook. that said - what'll it cost to find ones in similar shape in the future. the cost can only go up, right? am i just talking myself into it? probably... talk me out of it?
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    What's the price?, which always matters. I think it might work, but it's so much a matter of opinion. I think I'd cover the seats with some black cloth, just to get a very vague idea of what it would look like. ..... Another thought is that M seats are so much better, if you had to reupholster seats, it should be them.

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    What's the price?, which always matters. I think it might work, but it's so much a matter of opinion. I think I'd cover the seats with some black cloth, just to get a very vague idea of what it would look like. ..... Another thought is that M seats are so much better, if you had to reupholster seats, it should be them.
    good call, but i don't have that kind of fabric floating around. i'm probably going to try photshopping it too. i might be able to get them both for under $1k... matching pair with little to no wear, both seatbelt guides intact. i've only been thinking it over for a day so far, but am trying to give it a solid wait period before jumping on them.

they are much nicer seats. i can always recover them with tan leather in a year or two.
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    02 M Roadster, 15 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by pwhitt View Post
    my 2000 2.5 has the not so flattering standard tan ostrich seats... i've found some fairly nice M seats at decent price, but they're black. i'm on the fence... what's the forum's opinion?

i rebuilt my console years ago, and have black inserts around the shifter & radio. aside from the gauges and console pocket, there are no other black interior accents.

i have a black top... which i'll be replacing soon.

in other news: now that it's warming up, i'll be starting the suspension overhall and RF kit install. the new top will go on, then maybe some M seats... i've always wanted them, but the cost of the seats and the replacement covers would be stupid right now, considering economic outlook. that said - what'll it cost to find ones in similar shape in the future. the cost can only go up, right? am i just talking myself into it? probably... talk me out of it?
    The economy will always have it's ups and downs. Our current situation sucks but I don't know your financial history. If this is going to put you in the hole and potentially make you miss some meals, put your life or your family's in danger, I would walk away.

If it's not and you found a good deal, I would pick them up. It will only be harder to find these as time goes on and less are on the road. Most likely you'd be able to sell them for the same as what you pay today, if not more.

Not exactly related but in early 2009, I had a deal lined up for a 98 m roadster with hardtop, 82K miles for $7k (this was his offering price and I agreed without any negotiation). He agreed and ended up selling the car to someone else for $100 more without telling me until the pickup day. That same roadster today is worth a lot more than that. Same goes for the hard top installation hardware because of its rarity today.

EDIT: I didn't run across another roadster I wanted until last year. I gave up looking after the first loss. It took me 10 years to get into one.
    Last edited by spazzyone; 03-29-2020 at 07:24 PM.

My Cars
    '97 Z3
    Last year I purchased a set of turn up black M seats to reupholster. I did a test fit to see how the seats felt while waiting for the new leather to arrive. If you want to get an idea of how it looksthumbnail.jpg

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by nthor71783 View Post
    Last year I purchased a set of turn up black M seats to reupholster. I did a test fit to see how the seats felt while waiting for the new leather to arrive. If you want to get an idea of how it looksthumbnail.jpg
    Wasn't that lucky. There's enough black in other places to make it look just fine.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    You can easily add some black accents as well to tie it together - door cappings, door handles - by recolouring the originals. I'm not a huge fan of complete light tan interiors, but I reckon black and tan would be a great combo.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    What kind of steering wheel is that?

My Cars
    '97 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    What kind of steering wheel is that?
    Its a custom made flat bottom euro wheel. I purchased it off eBay. Here is a link to their store. I absolutely love the wheel! Last winter I added this wheel along with the M seats and a custom exhaust. It brought an entire new driving experience.
    10 Wheel.jpg

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    That color combo you want was a factory option. A friend of mine here in NJ did that to his. It's easy to swap the door panel leather as well if they are available with the seats. It should look like this:

Standard seat, and sport seat. (just figure all black instead of the Oregon Leather)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    Jackpot! i love these forums, i think i'm sold. thanks lot!

Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    You can easily add some black accents as well to tie it together - door cappings, door handles - by recolouring the originals. I'm not a huge fan of complete light tan interiors, but I reckon black and tan would be a great combo.
    right - having a look at these photos, i see that. to be honest, i'd like to change the interior color anyway - saw a thread where a guy made his interior black and tan yesterday and that looked pretty good. all things in good time...

Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    That color combo you want was a factory option. A friend of mine here in NJ did that to his. It's easy to swap the door panel leather as well if they are available with the seats. It should look like this:

Standard seat, and sport seat. (just figure all black instead of the Oregon Leather)
    thanks for that too!

these forums are fantastic, thanks a lot guys.
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    '97 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by pwhitt View Post
    Jackpot! i love these forums, i think i'm sold. thanks lot!
    No problem, glad to help. When I put those seats in, I debated about keeping them black. Ended up going with tan.

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    yeah - i think i'll end up recovering them tan as well. but i can live with it for a year or so until i take care of other projects.
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    '97 Z3
    Don't know what your budget is. I got covers from this eBay seller. Overall fit, finish, and quality is decent for the price. I had them custom make tan with perforated inserts. They're a little lighter than stock but look good. PM me if you want to know more about them.
    IMG_20190515_171528_resized_20190515_063921116.jpg