eBMWParts

Thread: Steering pop and pulling from side to side...

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i

Steering pop and pulling from side to side...

Hello. I have a 2005 545i and I have just replaced all the front suspension. Torsion bars, tie rod ends, control arms, struts, strut mounts, springs, etc. as well as installed new front rotors and pads while everything was apart. When I got it back together, I took it to my mechanic to go over everything to make sure it was all good and to align it. When I picked it up, I noticed a pop under the front end when turning the wheel to full lock. It sounded like a plastic or rubber pop. I thought it might be a bellow twisting and popping. Then I noticed when I did this, the steering stayed on that side of the turn, and pulled pretty heavy to that side. Meaning, if I turn full lock to the right, the steering does not fully center, and it pulls to the right. It does the same when I turn fully to the left and hear the same pop. It then pulls to the left. It feels like when I turn full lock, the plastic or rubber part pops past the turn and prevents the wheel from returning all the way to center, and vice versa. I know this may not be the best explanation, but I'm hoping someone understands and knows what this blockage may be? I inspected the steering bellows as well as I could. Everything looks okay. I don't have someone to turn the wheel while I look underneath. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Hard to say from here. Can you feel anything through the steering wheel when it pops?
    At gunpoint I'd speculate that the tie rod adjuster sleeves were left loose and when travel is maxed out they jump the threads. If I'm right its dangerous to drive.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Hard to say from here. Can you feel anything through the steering wheel when it pops?
    At gunpoint I'd speculate that the tie rod adjuster sleeves were left loose and when travel is maxed out they jump the threads. If I'm right its dangerous to drive.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I can see how that may happen. I will put it up on the lift and check them out. I cannot feel it in the steering wheel, and it definitely sounds like something rubber or plastic. Think of having oversized tires/wheels and they grab the inner fender when turning. That's how it sounds.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I gave some more thought to your reply. I took some pretty hard curves near the new Continentals limits with no issues. Only seems to happen when I turn to full lock. As I recall, the adjuster is not like others I have seen, that has an adjustable sleeve. It only has the tie rod end with ball joint that threads on the inner tie rod, and a locking nut to prevent it from jumping threads. I feel pretty sure this is not the issue, but will still check on it. Any other ideas? Thanks again.