Thread: 1994 840ci New Owner Introduction

My Cars
    e39 528i, e31 840i

1994 840ci New Owner Introduction

Hello All!

I figured it's time to introduce myself. I've been a long time lurker in the e34 and e39 forums, but decided to add another challenge to my life .

Back in early February, Dash01 sent me a link to Ian's (euroshark) 1994 840ci in the for sale section. Turns out, he was only 20-30 min away from me, so I went to take a look a couple days later, and eventually bought it a couple weeks after that. I've been told that this car was for sale in the Bay Area a few years ago, and that a few people had looked at it(?) If so, I'd love to hear what anyone has to say to get a bigger picture of its history.
    IMG_1712.JPGIMG_1715.JPGIMG_1716.JPGIMG_1718.JPGIMG_1697.JPG

As described by Ian, the major issues are:
    • Failed clear coat throughout entire car.
    • Someone smoked out the taillights and painted the roof black.
    • Old tires
    • Loose steering
    • Steering wheel adjustment has a mind of it's own.
    • Climate control ONLY works on full defrost, no automatic functions work.
    • Needs a full tune up and fluid flush.
    • Power steering leaks and needs going through.
    • Missing front/rear spoilers.
    • Missing engine cover.
    • Missing some small bits of interior trim.
    • Missing sun roof cover.

The Good:
    • Passed emissions the day after I bought it.
    • Starts every time and runs smoothly for the most part.
    • No warning lights apart from SRS.
    • M-Pars!
    • Save for the climate and steering wheel switch, all other electronic functions work properly.
    • All windows and sunroof work.
    • Just look at it....

My priorities are getting it reliable and fixing the steering first. So far, I've found the tie rods are shot. But also saw that pretty much all of the suspension bushings need doing too . I'll be using the search function and going through posts to figure this out, but any input or tips are greatly appreciated.
    More pictures to follow! It's been in storage while I get my e39 back together.

-Nate
    2000 528iA - Titansilver/Silver - Daily Beater
    1994 840i - Sterling Silver/Gray - Project
    2015 GMC Seirra 1500 SLE - Work Truck

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    Congrats!
    Fwiw, the 840i did not have a rear spoiler or diffuser unless one added it later (not sure if it could be spec'd from the dealer when buying the car). There are still CSi rear spoilers and the backing hardware if you want to throw money at it. It's on my list of things to do at some point sooner than later. I picked up my '95 (6/94) 840Ci from the bay area a bit over a year ago, but I don't remember seeing yours when I was looking. Nice that the important bits on yours are working properly. Welcome and enjoy!

P.S. post a new thread or two about the specific issues you're having and I'm sure that folks will be right there to walk you through the steps needed. Kinda hate to hijack your introduction thread with troubleshooting your fan controls.
    Last edited by DavesNotHere; 03-31-2020 at 09:57 PM.

My Cars
    95 740i, 92 ACSchnitzer
    Hope you enjoy it to its best.
    Lets get the party started before it's my bedtime.

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850

Front End

Front end Advice. Replace everything

While you have everything out you have somewhat easier access for all the power steering hoses. Inspect closely where they come into the power steering box. There are crush washers that are cheap and easy to replace once you can get to them by dropping the steering box and the front subframe.

Every Rubber piece is suspect for Rot. Replace fuel lines Fuel Filters and radiator hoses etc

I wet sanded the failed clear coat of mine with 400 grit wet or dry and rattle canned 2 Stage clear onto it. Looks good from 20 ft, I still need to buff it out. Real Paint Job is $$$$$

My Cars
    e39 528i, e31 840i
    Thanks for all the well wishes!
    I must have miss-typed about the spoiler, I meant the diffuser, unless that was an option as well(?)
    As far as the suspension goes, I'd like to go through and do a full front and rear rebuild/upgrade. I've browsed through a few of the threads about this, and it looks like a lot of time and $$$$. So for now, I just want to get it to where the steering isn't in business for itself. Something to where I can feel confident cruising around town for the summer while I save. The car came with a complete m60 gasket set, I'm tossing around the idea of pulling the motor to reseal, and get easier access to everything while it's out.

With Denver locked down, I think I'll look into sanding the clear coat too. Gotta do something with all this down time...

As noted by Dave above, I'll be making some separate threads about the issues/adventures I run into. That climate control panel scares me...:0

Stay safe everybody!
    2000 528iA - Titansilver/Silver - Daily Beater
    1994 840i - Sterling Silver/Gray - Project
    2015 GMC Seirra 1500 SLE - Work Truck

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    No worries, I updated my earlier post to include the rear "Spoiler or Diffuser". Neither was included in the base 840i or 840Ci model unless it was part of an individual spec or the dealer added it before delivery.
    As good as results can often be, my 2-cents is to *not* sand your clearcoat if you have any metallic in the paint or you truly know what you're doing. It will be Glaringly obvious if you hit the basecoat and impossible to fix without new color.

www.mdecoder.com can list all of the options purchased when your vehicle was originally ordered.

On my 840, I was able to replace all of the pressed suspension bushings (many of which are joints, not bushings) EXCEPT the Inner Rear Upper Control Arm bushings for about $2,000 USD (paid mechanic - I was short on time); including replacing the Giubo at the same time and probably should have done the driveshaft center bearing even though it wasn't bad - just old. Wokke sells a pair of those rear bushings for less than half the cost of one rear upper control arm (that particular bushing is not available separately from the control arm, if you go the dealer route). I believe that someone in the states sells a similar product.
    Last edited by DavesNotHere; 03-31-2020 at 10:14 PM.