Thread: 325IS - no power to the fuel pump fuse or relay... Feedback welcomed!

My Cars
    E90M3 / E46 M3 / E39 M5

325IS - no power to the fuel pump fuse or relay... Feedback welcomed!

Hey guys, 1994 325IS manual with M50B25 (built 02/94), so EWS1 and red label DME.

Back story: this car hasn’t run in nearly 20 years, it’s been damaged in an accident on the front right quarter which was replaced by previous owner. I purchased it and started putting it together to try to have it run again, and see if it’s worth saving. At this moment, the interior of the car is disassembled, the seat and carpet is out and the front portion including radiator, headlight etc… are not there.

I initially had a no crank issue, which ended up being the engine ground cable that was never put back in place after the accident/repairs…

My current problem: Now the engine cranks but I hear no priming of the fuel pump when turning the ignition ON. The pump relay is installed and all the other sensors seem to be installed and plugged in. Crank pos. sensor is tested and good. DME is the original one and good too. Main relay seem good as well but any additional tests suggestions are welcomed at this point.

Ihave no power to the fuel pump relay or fuse, either with ignition ON or OFF.

I can only get the fuel pump to run when I jump terminal 30 and 87 at the relay near the fuse box, or by applying power to the pump directly of course. Now, keeping in mid that the car has been in an accident, I was wondering if the fuel pump might’ve been cut out as a security measure, maybe by the airbag module or something else… to prevent a fire.

Let me know what you guys think - thanks for your help.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    If this car was stored outside for any length of time I can say for certain that the DME will have water damage . You can open it up and check for oxide tracks, clean everything inside with an old tooth brush and denatured alcohol, let it dry for 24hrs.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    E90M3 / E46 M3 / E39 M5
    Car was sitting in a garage for a long time before I purchased it 4 years ago... And I always kept it inside... But at some point after the accident in early 2000s, it might've been outside. I'll open it up and see. Thanks for the suggestion.

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    Try a search on "inertia switch"

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    Try a search on "inertia switch"
    That's a good one, also crash module, there's something under the back seat for some cars and there are crash detectors on the front fenders on some as well. But I think the crash detectors will set off the 4-way flashers.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    E90M3 / E46 M3 / E39 M5
    Inertia switch - I presume you're referring to the small blue module with an "UP" sign on it located behind the glove box on the right pillar. It is there and connected.Flipping it upside down and back up, you can hear a metal ball inside which I assume would detect a rollover and activate the hazards, roll window down etc... But probably no cut the fuel pump... Anyone can confirm that?

As for the Crash module, I assume you're referring to the Crash Alarm Geber (relay) behind the steering wheel in the fuse/relay socket. Mine is also there, but unable to test if it's good or if it could even cause a fuel pump to shut off, for exemple after an collision or airbag deployment. Pic below:
    s-l640.jpg

My Cars
    E90M3 / E46 M3 / E39 M5
    I must add that the door card aren't there and all the door lock and speaker wiring is not connected at the moment. Also, the carpet and seats aren't there, the interior is stripped at the moment. Could that cause an issue?
    Last edited by lockeed; 03-30-2020 at 01:27 PM.