Thread: Transmissions: New Wine Old Wineskin?

My Cars
    2011 X5

Transmissions: New Wine Old Wineskin?

We are doing a teardown and diagnosis on our X5 Transmission (actually my mechanic). During the course of events of speaking with a local dealer, they said that the old fluid should be reused and the transmission topped with new. Sounds like an Old Wives Tale (OWT) to me.

What is the standard maintenance practices on BMW transmissions? Do you drain and fill or only top up if the level has changed? What should be the practice if the transmission is rebuilt? Makes sense to me to use new fluid, even if the OWT is true.

Thoughts?
    04' 530i SMG Black/Grey w. Nav L7 (RIP)
    03’ 745Li (Sold)
    11' X5 35ix (Hers)

Senator Long: “The only difference I ever found between the Democratic leadership and the Republican leadership is that one of them is skinning you from the ankle up and the other, from the neck down.”

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    I don't understand the theory of staying with old, depleted trans fluid. If were to own an automatic, I'd follow a regular (i.e., 50k miles) fluid change routine.

If you have interest in other's opinion, check this discussion/poll. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...d-Lifetime-ATF
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2011 X5
    Thank you
    03’ 745Li (Sold)
    11' X5 35ix (Hers)

Senator Long: “The only difference I ever found between the Democratic leadership and the Republican leadership is that one of them is skinning you from the ankle up and the other, from the neck down.”

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    It is ordinarily recommended that transmission fluid be changed at approximately every 60,000 miles. This would also be a good time to take a look at the transmission filter and change it.
    And here is the official letter of ZF service: To assure proper operation it is advisable to perform a drain and fill at 100,000km/62,000 miles or eight years https://oceansidemotorsports.com/bmw...ange-interval/
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2011 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    It is ordinarily recommended that transmission fluid be changed at approximately every 60,000 miles. This would also be a good time to take a look at the transmission filter and change it.
    And here is the official letter of ZF service: To assure proper operation it is advisable to perform a drain and fill at 100,000km/62,000 miles or eight years https://oceansidemotorsports.com/bmw...ange-interval/
    That was AWESOME!
    03’ 745Li (Sold)
    11' X5 35ix (Hers)

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I hope this was some ignorant salesman or service writer and not a mechanic that told you to re-use oil from a presumably failed transmission. If so they need to turn in their tools and be beaten about the head and shoulders. That is absolutely absurd, a recipe for certain failure again. Good Lord!
    Please call out the offenders so others won't go there.
    Your instincts were correct.
    See above for good advice.
    Last edited by ross1; 03-27-2020 at 08:30 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Fill it drive it drain and refill again, the trans holds about 11 qts

My Cars
    2011 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I hope this was some ignorant salesman or service writer and not a mechanic that told you to re-use oil from a presumably failed transmission. If so they need to turn in their tools and be beaten about the head and shoulders. That is absolutely absurd, a recipe for certain failure again. Good Lord!
    Please call out the offenders so others won't go there.
    Your instincts were correct.
    See above for good advice.
    If you read the ZF letter, you'll see that this was probably a policy position taken by BMW-NA or by the dealership.
    03’ 745Li (Sold)
    11' X5 35ix (Hers)

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
    If you read the ZF letter, you'll see that this was probably a policy position taken by BMW-NA or by the dealership.
    Yeah, "Lifetime is not clearly defined"
    I'll make it easy for anyone curious; The lifetime of the transmission DIRECTLY correlates to the lifetime of its fluid.
    BMW NA only needs to worry it about during the warranty period and most of their new car customers don't even keep 'em that long. A business decision based on the bottom line for BMW and contrary to ultimate longevity which coincidentally also serves them well.
    Again, anyone suggesting re-use of the fluid, especially from a failed unit, needs a beating. HTF could anyone think that makes sense is beyond me.
    Last edited by ross1; 03-28-2020 at 11:28 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2011 X5
    Does anyone know who overhauls BMW transmissions?

At this point, we suspect that poor attention to detail killed this transmission. My mechanic found bolts that weren't torqued properly and inadequate fluid level. We believe that the inadequate fluid level led to the failed clutches.
    03’ 745Li (Sold)
    11' X5 35ix (Hers)

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Don’t ask the dealer to do it. Dealers will sell you a rebuilt transmission. ZF transmissions are in a lot of cars including MB, VW and some American cars. So, I bet a local, highly rated transmission shop could overhaul it properly. Make sure you specify that the shop use only parts made by ZF or approved by ZF.