Thread: Oil filter gasket - Cant get it to seal!!!

My Cars
    E36 325ci E46 328i

Oil filter gasket - Cant get it to seal!!!

So I've now had this apart twice!

Changed my oil filter gasket on my M50 325 - because why not!!!!

Now it will NOT seal and oils just gushing out! Def coming out the filter housing and not anywhere else as I cleaned the block and can see it running out. Torqued the bolts down to 25 Nm.

Anyone else had this issue, and if so what could cause it. Mating surfaces are clean!

I'm supposedly fitting Victor Reinz gaskets. I say supposedly as they did not come in a packet! Is this one of those jobs where I should be using the BMW part?

Not quite sure what to do now to resolve this. Thinking I'm gona use a very thin layer of black RTV to help the gasket seal better - Is this a good idea?

Thoughts?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    No don't put sealant, get another brand .

So the oil ports on the back side are sealed?

Only other possibility is a warped housing
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Are you talking about oil filter housing gasket where it mates to the block? If so, bolts are not the same length, make sure you didn't confuse their location.

My Cars
    E36 325ci E46 328i
    Not sure what you mean by oil ports on the back side?

I kept the bolts in the same spot, Laid them on my work bench in that order as I know they were different. Could they be stretched slightly and therefore not torquing properly? This is a new car to me, so no idea what the previous mechs did to the car.

Will def get a different brand and try that. Housing could well be warped will check with a straight edge and feeler gauge.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Get a new gasket like I said. When you pull the OFH off the car you will see two ports on the back side of the unit. They leak, on newer e36's they are sealed much better, on the old ones they used o-rings and clips or something. There are several ways to seal these ports, but some simply replace the o-rings. You can search old threads to learn more.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Invest in a Genuine part, they aren't that much more than aftermarket, if you can find one made out of Viton, even better.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The ports he may be talking about are the round plugs on the side that also leak. There was an updated oil filter housing that did not have the round plugs

My Cars
    E36 325ci E46 328i
    The ones with the presses steel covers! I was suspecting the lower as that did have oil in the pressing when I took off. but I was not sure!

Looking at the new housings on ECS, they no longer have these pressings in to seal them.

Going to try a genuine gasket and go from there!
    Last edited by tjboyle; 03-22-2020 at 11:24 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You don't need to buy a new OFH, there are old threads with methods to seal yours (the two ports in the backside). You could clean it really well and then JB weld it shut, you could simply replace the o-rings and it will be good for years, another guy taped a thread and put bolts, you could silicone it shut.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Usually people just dont torque it down properly or use the paper gasket wigh the silicone gasket. Lol

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If you don't mind paying the price the updated oil filter housing no longer has the round plugs

My Cars
    E36 325ci E46 328i
    Thanks guys - The o-rings for the ports were plastic so I replaced both. V easy to get to once housing is out and replace the o-rings.

Also used a genuine gasket. The combination of both seems to have fixed the problem nicely.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Nice job!

I remember way back when people were saying those victor reinz gaskets were crap. Now we also have there VCG's that are junk as well.

How much was the genuine bmw gasket?

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    Quote Originally Posted by tjboyle View Post
    The o-rings for the ports were plastic
    What do you mean they were plastic ? Aren't o-rings made out of rubber ?

My Cars
    E36 325ci E46 328i
    They had turned to plastic with age and heat! Very hard and brittle I could snap them! Same thing happens to the Valve cover gasket with age.

The genuine was $16 from the dealer. I could have got it from the parts houses cheaper but dealer had in stock then and there. Then I sat on it for the week before I could bring myself to do it, so I could have got it shipped!

I've never had an issue with VR gaskest before. Used them on every valve cover change on my e46, and have one on the shelf waiting for this.
    Last edited by tjboyle; 03-29-2020 at 12:55 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    According to Rmeurpean, Elring Klinger was the original OEM'er $3.56 lol

My Cars
    E36 325ci E46 328i
    Probably still is! Will try that next time I need one!

To be honest not sure if the gasket or the o-rings really fixed my issue, but the VR gaskets seemed to be made of a different material, were a bit of a squished shale and had a much rougher molding seam line the the genuine!