Thread: Top will not unlatch

My Cars
    2004 z4

Top will not unlatch

2004 Z4 2.5 auto. Top does not work, is stuck in the up position. I removed the cover that allows access to the locking motor and removed the motor and discovered the nylon gear that moves the metal gear that is connected the the left and right flexible shafts was split into two pieces. I ordered a replacement but before installing the new parts I attempted to turn the right side flex shaft by hand and it will not move. I used the old metal gear and a pair of pliers and cannot get the shaft to turn, seems to be jammed. I do not want to install the new parts as I fear it will just crack the new gear. What could be preventing the flexible shaft from turning?

My Cars
    2004 z4

problem identified but not solved

Quote Originally Posted by rgmrgm View Post
    2004 Z4 2.5 auto. Top does not work, is stuck in the up position. I removed the cover that allows access to the locking motor and removed the motor and discovered the nylon gear that moves the metal gear that is connected the the left and right flexible shafts was split into two pieces. I ordered a replacement but before installing the new parts I attempted to turn the right side flex shaft by hand and it will not move. I used the old metal gear and a pair of pliers and cannot get the shaft to turn, seems to be jammed. I do not want to install the new parts as I fear it will just crack the new gear. What could be preventing the flexible shaft from turning?
    I think I have identified the problem but not the solution. The top latch on the right side has a micro switch to stop the latching motor when the top completes the closing cycle. If that switch does not do its job the latching motor will continue to turn which over tightens the latch and causes the nylon gear to fail. I am still trying to figure out how to break loose the overtightened latch. I have tried to use the flexible shaft and pliers but because the shaft is flexible it won't apply the initial torque to break it loose. Any suggestions?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The only other way to expose the linkage would be to sacrifice the plastic cover but the at cover is about $200.00