Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 82' Winter build - Photo Heavy

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    I can always add bars in the future but for not I dont plan to attaching to the font strut towers as I dont want to have to reroute the harness yet.

I'm also in the air with door bars, I would prefer the NASCAR style but I dont want to cut up my doors to fit them. I may just run a strait tube along the bottom sill for now and when I need the door bars I will add them. I want to keep the car some what streetable for now.

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    I test fit the seat and noticed I need to raise my harness bar about 1.5" to 2" so I will have about a 15º angle on the harness. I also leaned the cage back 5º more for a total of 10º lean back.

Hoping to get the rest of my supplies delivered soon.

Untitled by Shane Massa, on Flickr

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Been a while but finally was able to get my hand on some more DOM tube.
    One of the best tool I got for this

by Shane Massa, on Flickr

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    Love the cage (I bet that was a lot of behind-the-scenes hours) and the color selection, is that a dark green?

Nice Miller! And what a huge argon tank for the home shop! I’m looking at a finger button instead of the monster foot pedal, and seeing how much space it takes in the footwell I think I’m sticking to my guns on that.
    -John

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Quote Originally Posted by Somjuan View Post
    Love the cage (I bet that was a lot of behind-the-scenes hours) and the color selection, is that a dark green?

Nice Miller! And what a huge argon tank for the home shop! I’m looking at a finger button instead of the monster foot pedal, and seeing how much space it takes in the footwell I think I’m sticking to my guns on that.
    Thanks, Defiantly several hours into the cage this past weekend. I still plan on making gussets for the A & B pillars and possible might add a removable door bar.

The color is Brewster Green, Its looks much darker in person. It came on some Porsche's and Bentleys

I just got this miller 220 last year, thing rips and the smart settings are really good and I dont really fine tune them at all. I would like to look into a finger trigger/water cooled torch, But for 90% of the work I use the foot peddle and works grate. They have a bluetooth one that im eyeing because the wiring can be a pain.

This is my work I make awnings and signs so I am always welding and the tanks go quickly, I mostly work with aluminum. One day I will have space like this at my house.
    Last edited by pofo; 05-26-2020 at 10:33 PM.

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    It's been a while but made some progress.
    IMG_9256 by Shane Massa, on Flickr
    Test fit the kit last time before paint and just used a 13" wheel I have laying around as just a reference.

Primed and layed some color down last weekend.

Still have a lot of work to do over the winter but im happy with my progress.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Thought I replied to this already. . . really really like the color man. Looks great. Green is mean. That fiberglass kit where did you source it? Just badass. Learned something from this thread; thanks for sharing the pipemaster tool. I think it would of saved us hours of coping time. Like multiple $ in beers as well during the making of our cage. I mean we did the M3 cage much faster using learned skills, but still that tool is going in my arsenal for the future. I'd never heard of it. Some youtube vids on it saw the laser adapter for angles.....I immediately added to cart while watching that
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post
    Thought I replied to this already. . . really really like the color man. Looks great. Green is mean. That fiberglass kit where did you source it? Just badass. Learned something from this thread; thanks for sharing the pipemaster tool. I think it would of saved us hours of coping time. Like multiple $ in beers as well during the making of our cage. I mean we did the M3 cage much faster using learned skills, but still that tool is going in my arsenal for the future. I'd never heard of it. Some youtube vids on it saw the laser adapter for angles.....I immediately added to cart while watching that
    The coping tool is a life savor. I saw it on a youtube video when I was learning how to make a cage.
    I got my kit from Jasa Carbon, took a long time to get because of covid, almost took 5 months in shipping.
    Now the fun begins trying to find wheels that will fit and also need to make a carpet and some interior parts.

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i
    Wow! This looks great! If this will be a track car, might as well add in some door bars. These cars are so week if you get dinged in the door. Great job on the rust repair, that paint is fantastic.

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorTaylor View Post
    Wow! This looks great! If this will be a track car, might as well add in some door bars. These cars are so week if you get dinged in the door. Great job on the rust repair, that paint is fantastic.
    Door bars will come in the future and are very simple to add when I get more competitive with the car. But I want to enjoy the build on the street as much as I can this next season. I would want to build Nasccar style door bars as they seam to be the easiest to get around while climbing in and out of the car. But looks like I would need to gut my doors to do so. So I am still deciding on the best route.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12