Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thermostat housing recommendation?

My Cars
    Porsche 993
    I use a torque wrench because I don’t trust myself enough to tighten things up but I’m on my 4th housing now. Sanding the mating surface down is a good idea. I had to sand down a bunch of gunk on the surface. Bought a new housing from the BMW stealer and it is the same as the ones that cracked, down to the production date. I use a new torque wrench to do the install and slowly worked my way to 80in-lb on the 10mm bolts and 17ft-lb on the 13mm. After 3 failed housing, I’m too skittish to go higher than 80-in-lb. so far so good. No leaks after running the car for 15min.

I’ll recheck the torque again after some more drive time to make sure nothing is coming loose.

Thanks for all the tips.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Next thing I'd do is check the calibration of the wrenches.

It isn't that hard. Since torque is a cross product of force and distance (F*d * Cos (t)), clamp the wrench in a vise and hang a weight from the handle. Since you know the mass of the weight, and the distance from the head. See how accurate the wrench is. My cheapo Harbor Freight 0-150 wrench is surprisingly accurate, as is my Snap-On 0-250, my Eastwood torque angle, and Craftsman electronic load meter. My In-lb wrenches stink, they are never repeatable (with 40+ years of wrenching, you do get a feel for things) .. So I just don't use them. lol

Also don't try to tighten one bolt at a time. Sneak up on it like a head bolt..

Also make sure that your bolts have a flat surface where it meets the housing.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    Every time a manufacturer does something fancy, there is a problem. What the f@(< was wrong with a flat gasket mating surface? Fancy shaped o-rings and grooves, bah.
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    And buggy whips are still a thing too... Get over it. It works great, if you understand it.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    I'm running the same URO aluminum housing (current one is 30k+ miles old), I think it's like $12 on FCPeuro for the housing with gasket.

I do read commonly that the aluminum housings are prone to leaks. I've said that myself just because it seems true based on how much I read it (I'm going to stop saying it), because personally I've never had a thermostat housing (plastic or aluminum) leak on me. Could be luck.

I inspect the mating surface to make sure it's mostly flat, you can sand it a bit on a flat surface to make sure (I haven't needed to). I run a tiny amount of black rtv sealant around the perimeter of the mating surface of the housing, then install. I can't remember when/where I was recommended to run some sealant on it, but it hasn't been a negative thing (make sure it doesn't seep into the housing, and that you wait for it to fully cure before putting coolant back in). Like Rich has mentioned above, imo, screw the in-lb torque wrenches for this job. This guy, like most things, just needs to be hand tight. Like, hand on the head of socket wrench, don't use the handle.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by h82crash View Post
    Every time a manufacturer does something fancy, there is a problem. What the f@(< was wrong with a flat gasket mating surface? Fancy shaped o-rings and grooves, bah.
    There's nothing wrong with this design, only those that purchase the wrong parts and the manufacturers that make those said parts. As already stated, the alu housings work fine provided they are flat and you use the BMW gasket. No RTV required.

My Cars
    99 M3

Thermostat housing recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    As already stated, the alu housings work fine provided they are flat and you use the BMW gasket. No RTV required .
    +1, aside from die castings that display porosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 03-27-2020 at 08:25 PM.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I think this thread has all the advice you need. I will also 2nd these points: the gasket seals, not the housing and to use only an authentic, BMW gasket. Also use only a 1/4" ratchet to install if not using a small torque wrench with in lbs.

I've also used RTV on the housing itself, but a thin/translucent amount on aluminum housings
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with this design, only those that purchase the wrong parts and the manufacturers that make those said parts. As already stated, the alu housings work fine provided they are flat and you use the BMW gasket. No RTV required.
    I know you're correct, but it is still in line with so many things on these cars where they've been over engineered. When you run into it, you just have to shake your head. For example, the heater core pipes. Instead of making them long enough to just poke through grommets in the firewall and attach to hoses, it goes from AL tubes to a plastic connector piece then to hoses. Probably some assembly line time saving reason for it.
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

My Cars
    95 M3
    That photo of the OE housing makes that look like junk. I don't believe it's a proper OE part, looks like a bait and switch.

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by neverman View Post
    That photo of the OE housing makes that look like junk. I don't believe it's a proper OE part, looks like a bait and switch.
    Perhaps simply a mistaken understanding of what OE (Part w/BMW logo) and OEM (similar to OE part, produced by a company that makes other ‘OE’ parts) implications are.

My Cars
    Porsche 993
    No. It’s not bait and switch. The replacement I purchased from the dealer is exactly the same. The quality of the new one from the dealer is inferior to the original one I removed from 1998 when compared side by side.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    I have a used housing that needed some clean up so I bead blasted it, cleaned up all of the casting slag on the inside, filled in the recess with aluminum filler. I will try this FelPro 35782 gasket (without sealant) and we'll see how well it holds up.

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 8.32.14 PM.jpg
    Last edited by AJLM34A; 04-15-2020 at 08:41 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    I have a used housing that needed some clean up so I bead blasted it, filled in the recess with aluminum filler. I will try this FelPro 35782 gasket (without sealant) and we'll see how well it holds up.

Surface the interface with ~600 grit wet/dry paper on a piece of thick glass or marble/ granite counter top.

I had the understanding that these existed (from M50 NV?) I even bought the paper gasket thinking I could use it, but had never seen a alloy thermostat housing without the orange ‘thingy’ gasket gap.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 02-12-2023 at 10:51 AM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    I have a used housing that needed some clean up so I bead blasted it, cleaned up all of the casting slag on the inside, filled in the recess with aluminum filler. I will try this FelPro 35782 gasket (without sealant) and we'll see how well it holds up.

Just buy a new housing. That looks awful.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I must be lucky. The M3 I bought had a an aluminum housing put on by the prior owner and it works perfectly. The 328is I am modifying has a random cheapo aluminum one I bought on eBay a couple years ago. I did have the original plastic one on the 328is until I broke the one fitting clean off with a hammer attempting to remove the fan.

None have ever leaked.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The URO aluminum housing is good. The orange gasket they Include is junk! It’s way too thick, like triple thick and when you torque down it won’t let the housing sit flush and seal. Buy an Elring gasket and all will be well.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    I rebuilt my entire cooling system with the ECS performance kit & it came with there aluminum thermostat housing. I had a problem with it mating and leaking coolant but I used a bit of gasket maker it solved the problem

i also have had problems with the OEM housing as it would crack for me too just be easy

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Hi guys, we have our engineers looking into this gasket issue right now, thanks for the feedback. Miclin, please email your order confirmation or purchase details (retailer name, order number, date, etc) and shipping address to "sales at uro parts dot com", and we'll be happy to ship you a warranty replacement housing at no charge.

We'll update the thread with the response from our engineering department, could be a week or two but stay tuned.
    Last edited by URO Parts; 04-29-2020 at 03:28 PM.

My Cars
    Porsche 993
    Thank for the offer. It is refreshing to see that companies are following enthusiast forums and taking feedbacks from customers. I purchased the housing through pelican parts and they were able to give me a refund. I’m back to using OEM plastic for now. I don’t know about others but personally I would like a good quality metal housing and willing to pay a premium for it.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    nice to see URO showing up and responding to the concerns and offering to help. Maybe this will help improve the product.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Quick question: anyone know if Elring makes the OEM gasket?

My Cars
    dodge van
    I pulled a aluminum thermostat housing off a junkyard e36 (325i). See pics. Just realized the inside wall was damaged.

I think the casting of inner-wall is too high, thus when the PO torqued down the 4 bolts..it cracked. That part of the inner-wall should be ground down (using Dremel)

Agree with others, the orange rubber gasket is too high. I guess you could shave it down with knife

^^^ BTW, the PO used black RTV sealant
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chimpanzee; 08-02-2020 at 01:46 AM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I think I may know why the OEM housing cracked for the OP. BMW is now selling the housing with the oversized gasket similar to what URO and others offer with theirs. I did not know this until a friend bought one. They never included a gasket in the past. You can see it here: https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...MFG9-V550.aspx

Elring is the only suitable gasket at this point, unless the gasket ordered separately through BMW is different than what they are supplying with the housings.

Also, if you think BMW doesn't make mistakes like this... they do. Late 2000's dealer purchased replacement E39 expansion tanks went through a period of poor manufacturing and would fail after a year or less.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 08-02-2020 at 01:10 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3

The URO gasket is different than the BMW ‘orange rubber thingie’. The URO gasket is a solid ‘column of silicon rubber different than BMW gasket than narrows on each edge.
    I don’t believe that there is a bad batch of BMW gaskets.
    There has been a rash of problems with plastic OEM and/or aftermarket thermostat housings.
    I own a URO aluminum T-stat housing, as a spare. I am nervous about using it due to the size of the machined ‘trough’ for their oversized gasket.
    Torque of attach fasteners could contribute to the issue. The T-Stat has an O-Ring and the BMW ‘orange thingie’ is well designed. Use the plastic T-Stat housing or the Ranol /Ranok aluminum housing, if you can find one.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 08-02-2020 at 02:18 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast