Thread: looking into buying M5

My Cars
    2001 E39 540ia

looking into buying M5

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from my E39 540ia to an M5. My budget is around €30K and found an example with 122.000km (75.000miles). It looks in very well kept shape with no rust at all.
    It's a 2002 model which has been driven in Spain. The dealer where it's being sold already changed the thermostat, flywheel+clutch and the brakes.

The downside: it doesn't have any bills for maintance records, but it does have the booklet with all the service stamps up untill now.
    Now I have driven it, and it drives very stable and good, no errors, warning lights or rattles. It does however (my opinion) have a slight hiccup in the lower rev range, it starts to really pull from 4000rpm.

I also read into the weak spots of this enginge, being the VANOS, timing chain, rod bearings, head gaskets. Unfortunatly I can't say anything about it thats why I need someones opinion about this.
    I have one mechanic saying the VANOS and timing chain need to be replaced, although my 540i and the videos ive seen on youtube don't convince me yet.

Here is a video after 5mins of enginge running:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO4T...ature=youtu.be

you can hear some VANOS rattle around the 26s mark but I don't know what's normal and what's not in these engines.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540ia
    no one able to help out?

My Cars
    2002 M5
    Head gaskets aren't really a weak spot on the S62. I would definitely recommend doing the VANOS service based on mileage and not knowing if it's been done before. That DOESN'T mean VANOS replacement. Clean the solenoids and check the solder points, install the anti rattle kit from Besian systems. Might need chain guides and rod bearings at some point if they're originals. No need to run away if you're up to the task or can afford to pay someone to do it.

My Cars
    00 M5, 12' Ducati SF
    I had the timing chain guides done at 80K when I purchased mine to be on the safe side. Vanos can be an issue. Rod bearings as well, but I don't think they were as prevalent an issue on the E92 M3, and E60 M5.

I honestly spent alot on prevenative maintenance when purchasing mine since there was about a 6 year gap in service history and the car hasn't had any issues in about 2 years so far.

My Cars
    F10 M5
    Did you buy the car? It sounds perfectly normal man... it's actually quiet... the engine sounds healthy and looks clean. As long as the car drives smooth and is planted on the road with no audible weird sounds, then you're good... I bought mine with zero service records and had 160k miles on it but the car drove superbly so I knew there is nothing major to worry about. Make sure it pulls hard with no hesitation and weird sounds like knocking or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by jigsaw88 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from my E39 540ia to an M5. My budget is around €30K and found an example with 122.000km (75.000miles). It looks in very well kept shape with no rust at all.
    It's a 2002 model which has been driven in Spain. The dealer where it's being sold already changed the thermostat, flywheel+clutch and the brakes.

The downside: it doesn't have any bills for maintance records, but it does have the booklet with all the service stamps up untill now.
    Now I have driven it, and it drives very stable and good, no errors, warning lights or rattles. It does however (my opinion) have a slight hiccup in the lower rev range, it starts to really pull from 4000rpm.

I also read into the weak spots of this enginge, being the VANOS, timing chain, rod bearings, head gaskets. Unfortunatly I can't say anything about it thats why I need someones opinion about this.
    I have one mechanic saying the VANOS and timing chain need to be replaced, although my 540i and the videos ive seen on youtube don't convince me yet.

Here is a video after 5mins of enginge running:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO4T...ature=youtu.be

you can hear some VANOS rattle around the 26s mark but I don't know what's normal and what's not in these engines.