Thread: Sunroof Leak - Not clogged drains!

My Cars
    535xi e61

Sunroof Leak - Not clogged drains!

Sunroof Leak - NOT Drains.
    I have a 2010 e61 wagon.

I pulled down headliner to get access to the passenger side drains and pulled off the drain hose (# 2)where it meets the drain housing (#1 it has a red snake in it). I ran snake all the way up and out sunroof channel. I also ran snake down the drain hose all the way down to rear well. They were / are not blocked.

When I pour water in sunroof channel a little water comes out drain housing port but it really comes out around it (see video) and #3 in picture

Not sure if the drain housing that the hose attaches to (#1) is cracked or if it’s a sunroof seal? The sunroof cassette was replaced by the dealer about 3 years ago.

The driver side drains no problem all the way down to the rear wheel well as it should

Photo and video below

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...qlHjfPAG35PNF6

Any ideas ?

Thank you

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The pan catches the water the drains remove it I've seen the front over flow a bit when a ton of water comes in and I've seen the pans crack at the connection also BMW used these rubber things on the ends of some drains that can cause problems you just remove them. When testing the same amount of water should come out all drains or a hose is split

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Pull the rubber flaps out of the bottom of the drains. Unless your headliner is wet the problem or risk is at the ends of the tubes. Find them under the front and remove the flappers that help trap debris and clog the drains. In the rear, from the side compartments pull the tubes up, remove the flappers and then push the tubes back through the body.

My Cars
    535xi e61

Thanks - the driver side drains no problem without leaking into the headliner and also drains down to wheel well as it should.

It’s JUST the passenger side that’s leaking. The plugs at bottom of both drain hoses in wheel wells are removed already. I can also snake the grain tube no problem with nothing blocking it.

Maybe it is the pan? JC - you mention cracks at the connection - where is that ? Any suggestions on how to fix ? Is it complicated?

Thanks
    Last edited by Cte61; 03-15-2020 at 10:48 AM.

My Cars
    535xi e61

JC - is the pan the same thing as the cassette ? Do you to remove glass / headliner to get to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cte61; 03-14-2020 at 10:25 PM.

My Cars
    535xi e61

After many hours at a friends house Friday. I got back to work today at home with an air compressor.

I put a vacuum line I bought for my engine on the end of compressor nozzle and blew out everything!!!!!!!

Some debris came out from both directions. Not much - but enough to help. I put everything back together and bingo! all good

Last edited by Cte61; 03-15-2020 at 10:12 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Yup you thought is was unclogged but it wasn't

My Cars
    535xi e61
    Yes - even though I snaked with no resistance there was what appeared to be dry debris that must have been enough to cause a backup.

I will be checking it on regular basis and also blowing it out.

Thanks for the help.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Once you have removed all the flappers from the ends there should not be any more problems. Unless you park the car with the roof open, which could allow larger debris to get into the drain tubes.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 03-16-2020 at 07:45 AM.

My Cars
    2008 x3

2008 x3

Having similar problem with my 2008 x3
    Passenger side front only. Drain seems to not be clogged. Water is flowing freely out of the bottom of drain by wheel well. However it is also dripping inside the car at the passenger side foot well. Any tips appreciated

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I did the servicing I described in my posts above and thought all was well. That was probably around 2015. A couple of years ago, the sunroof opened on its own overnight during a heavy rain, water got into the spare tire well and damaged modules. I was able to dry the car out and disassemble and dry modules. Had to buy 3 used and new ones in the end. This time I did the better version of the servicing, which is to cut the tuning and replace the upper section of tubing with new stuff. There are DIY on this. All has been well since - tested in heavy rains many times.

I had just given the car away to a friend, and did the repair. Still maintaining the car for the friend today.