Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I made a proper RamAir

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual

I made a proper RamAir

I let the photos do the talking.

First pair fitted today to customer car:

Printed in highest quality ASA plastic, outlet is for 3" id pipe.
    These fit also prefacelift E39's.

Let me know if you are interested into group buy as it will reduce cost per / head. I can get any amount made in one week + shippings.
    Last edited by Remotion; 03-13-2020 at 09:19 PM.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Count me in. Very clean looking.

Looks like these could be used for brake ducting, as well?

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Yes, to ram air or brake cooling, it is totally up to you.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    Let me know if you are interested into group buy as it will reduce cost per / head. I can get any amount made in one week + shippings.
    Cost per pair?

My Cars
    z3
    Im interested

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Nice work, you obviously have some great skills. Maybe you could look at doing a 3d printed centre gauge pod.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Thanks. So, I am ofcourse from Finland, but most of you are from America. We have an ongoing process of making these locally with very good quality and comparably good price. But since this Coronavirus is only gathering steam and not only us in EU but also USA and rest of the world are going to be on lockdown for few months. I offer these as 3D-printable STL files for time being. So you can homeprint or locally source 3d printing and save shipping costs and unavoidable delays and uncertainties of shipping. I have already done this to 6 different countries and people have been very pleased with the model and print. I do this as an enthusiast and owner for you other enthusiasts and owners.

Here are now 4 models available that all fit stock foglight location and can be used to brake cooling or engine ramair intake or for example extra oilcooler:
    1. Air Funnel
    2. Air Funnel with Mesh
    3. Block Off Plate
    4. Mesh plate

Pair of any two left + right model in STL files, can be bought for 25€ / 28$.
    Purchase progress step 1: Pay to my paypal: djremotion@hotmail.com
    After payment step 2: Private message me here, with email address where to send and what pairing you want, I will email you immediately after receiving payment and message.

Ofcourse these are only for your personal use, and not for trying to steal my work and sell or give that STL to anyone, that way there will be more products in future for our cars too. These are available immedely from now, thank you!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Just had these printed out of Nylon 12 by Shapeways. Very happy!

20200405_181135.jpg

20200405_184845.jpg

Now just needs some proper duct work on the inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Z3 3.0i Roadie
    Looks cool, but would it really provide much increase over the stock air intake? You'd be adding what, about two feet of piping to get up to the airbox? The stock intake seems to be designed pretty well to me. Air basically flows straight in to the box from the front of the car. I think this would be a good application for brake cooling for folks who track their cars. Needless to say, your creativity and skills for design are much stronger than mine!

My Cars
    2002 Z3 M Coupe, 2005 M3
    This is so cool. Any plans for Z3 M bumper?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWguy007 View Post
    This is so cool. Any plans for Z3 M bumper?
    The M bumper already has brake cooling ducts, but some knockoff Schnitzer fog light surrounds would probably garner a lot of interest.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ory-fog-lights

Last edited by pine1000; 04-06-2020 at 09:29 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    The M bumper already has brake cooling ducts, but some knockoff Schnitzer fog light surrounds would probably garner a lot of interest.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ory-fog-lights

There were replicas of those made a few years ago and demand was surprisingly low... I snagged a set for myself though

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatZ3Guy View Post
    Looks cool, but would it really provide much increase over the stock air intake? You'd be adding what, about two feet of piping to get up to the airbox? The stock intake seems to be designed pretty well to me. Air basically flows straight in to the box from the front of the car.
    I'm not speaking for Erik, but from my standpoint, yes the stock airbox is pretty efficient. But I also think it makes a few compromises, namely that (unless I'm looking at it the wrong way) the actual inlet works out to be just a sliver of an opening near the headlight area. I don't think the flow is better than what you could get out of a 3" pipe with a few bends.

On my application at least, I've also removed the plastic shroud around the back of the headlight that serves to funnel air into the stock airbox. The shroud actually blocks access to the hood release cable, which is not great if something goes wrong with the hood release system. I've had an issue with that cable before, and it was not fun trying to get the hood to release.

I intend to do a few tests after I get the rest of the intake system together, that I can share with the group.

My Cars
    Z3 3.0i Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreier View Post
    I'm not speaking for Erik, but from my standpoint, yes the stock airbox is pretty efficient. But I also think it makes a few compromises, namely that (unless I'm looking at it the wrong way) the actual inlet works out to be just a sliver of an opening near the headlight area. I don't think the flow is better than what you could get out of a 3" pipe with a few bends.

On my application at least, I've also removed the plastic shroud around the back of the headlight that serves to funnel air into the stock airbox. The shroud actually blocks access to the hood release cable, which is not great if something goes wrong with the hood release system. I've had an issue with that cable before, and it was not fun trying to get the hood to release.

I intend to do a few tests after I get the rest of the intake system together, that I can share with the group.
    I'd be interested to see what you come up with. What are you going to do in order to minimize water ingestion?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreier View Post

Its not just about the size of the opening for the air intake, its also about where it takes that air from. The stock setup takes in ambient air from outside the engine bay so the air is much cooler than it you used a 3" intake that intakes air from inside the engine bay. Intake air temp is very important - arguably more important than total air volume. IAT relates to oxygen density which is critical for making power. The engine has a limited time to take air in on each intake stroke, more power is made with cold air than with hot air, even if you have a lot more hot air "available"

Stock system also intakes air in front of the bumper/headlight, which is a high pressure zone. That means that once moving, the intake takes in air directly from the pressure wave that sits in front of the car. Inside the engine bay becomes a lower pressure zone. As such, theres a good chance the stock intake will intake as much, or more, air through it's smaller opening, as a larger intake installed within the engine bay could intake. Plus, the stock intake air is a colder temp, so win-win

BMW knew what they were doing designing these intake systems. The M intake features a second duct from the headlight duct piece down to the brake duct, to allow for even more air. But its still taking in exclusively ambient temp high pressure air.

These ramair pieces are functional, though how much they help on a stock engine is anyone's guess. Id like a set for my s54 swapped car but dont have access to a 3D printer. Oh well

Also PS - removing that intake duct behind the headlight would be detrimental to the intake's performance
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 04-07-2020 at 06:31 AM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker
    These ramair pieces are functional, though how much they help on a stock engine is anyone's guess. Id like a set for my s54 swapped car but dont have access to a 3D printer. Oh well

Also PS - removing that intake duct behind the headlight would be detrimental to the intake's performance
    You can do what I did - set up an account with shapeways.com and have it printed out of their "versatile plastic" material, which is pretty durable Nylon 12. The file required no edits or scale changes for them to print it out as you see it from my photos. Their website also gives you a little 3d rendering so you can confirm that the files are accurate.

I am aware that removing headlight intake duct is bad for performance; I'm hoping to replace some of those gains without having to put the shroud back on.

Some preliminary work studying the AIT data from OBDII shows a +41F temperature difference from ambient on my current setup at sustained speeds of 65-70mph. I should try it with the shroud, and then with a ducted 3" pod filter setup.

My Cars
    2002 M3 Manual
    Is this still on sale? Id like to order or place an order

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Quote Originally Posted by m3toz3 View Post
    Is this still on sale? Id like to order or place an order
    Ofcourse yes! Contact me via pm.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    So I am reviving this topic...

There is a bottleneck for getting hose through from bumper section up to engineroom. There are a ton of wires going to lamps and horn and so on and also headlight bulb connectors come a long way back from the actual lamp. So I want to make connector piece between bumper cavity and engine room. So that I only need once to access that area under, and in future I can connect or seal the are over it easily...

So we 3d scanned with iphone that area...
    Needless to say, technology is not quite up there...

After hours of cleaning the 3d scan I have approximate shape of the parts I am interested:

Then find out that there is no way I can use this to cut anything, so trying to build shapes that contour to it:

Inlet is 3" aka 76mm. It is also easy to use this placement if I need to do hose diameter change before airbox anyway...

Okay that part was 200grams, how about lightening it and keeping the essential, this is only 67grams now:

A friend test prints this for me and then lets see if it fits in anyway or shape..

My Cars
    2002 M3 Manual
    I sent u message here and check your paypal.
    Thanks. Hoping to hear you send them from you soon
    Thanks!

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Thanks, order is done.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Looking at the options of either delivering 3" pipe through to the enclosed filter on the engine bay, there is tight spot just under the headlight to go through from bumper to engine room and there are a lot of sizelimitations also on how big enclosed filter is possible to fit. I drive almost daily to our summer cottage where is 1km of dusty gravel road, so I want a lot of filtering capacity.
    So purchasing divider wall instead of box made more sense, and getting largest cone filter for engine and also using the standard intake + this ramair.
    So I made this part that in the end side of the ramair and only short hose goes between this and ramair.

Starting to make a part on top of the tight triangle shape opening.

How it fits:

Second lock:

Actual product after protos:

STL file for this is now also available now. Just private message me for it.

My Cars
    E39 owner
    So now I gotta decide do I want my fog lights or do I want ram air intake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by AutobahnRepairs View Post
    So now I gotta decide do I want my fog lights or do I want ram air intake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a tough choice. Back in Nicaragua, in the 50s, my family had to choose between staying in a brutal dictatorship or leaving everything we owned behind to make the 1,000 mile walk to freedom, so I can feel your pain brother.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8
    Is the STL file for the Fog Ducts still available for purchase? I really need those to help with my hot engine bay and intake setup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast