Thread: Transmission Issue Help

My Cars
    R52

Transmission Issue Help

I was just driving back home no signs of problems until I came to a stop light then I pressed the clutch in and it would not go into gear turned the car off put it in gear and took off no issues until I would come to another stop had to turn the car off to put it in gear and they all worked fine, got it home parked it put it on ramps to see any signs of leaks none anywhere master cylinder still full of fluid, so we changed the transmission fluid that was my first guess and what came out was dark filled it with new gear oil 90W still the same problem , mechanic said it was he slave cylinder put a new one in but we didnt compress it when we put it in , we attempted to bleed it after about an hour of bleeding the clutch felt like it still had air in it , we took the slave out to try to compress it but noticed that the shaft was bent (it was autozones best ) we are figuring that thing was just junk and we are replacing it with a better one maybe it was just bad. when we put a new one in today we are gonna get a power bleeder see if that is hopefully the problem,

Ok replaced Pressure plate clutch guide sleeve put new oil in transmission
    bled the clutch

then the fun started

it is slipping the clutch without pushing the pedal getting the pressure plate hot like something is locking up inside the transmission
    but if we start it in gear it works just fine just like before
    it is only when we start it in neutral

essentially same as before but she runs fine thru the gears from a dead start now we are really baffled any ideas?

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by rayminir52 View Post
    I was just driving back home no signs of problems until I came to a stop light then I pressed the clutch in and it would not go into gear turned the car off put it in gear and took off no issues until I would come to another stop had to turn the car off to put it in gear and they all worked fine, got it home parked it put it on ramps to see any signs of leaks none anywhere master cylinder still full of fluid, so we changed the transmission fluid that was my first guess and what came out was dark filled it with new gear oil 90W still the same problem , mechanic said it was he slave cylinder put a new one in but we didnt compress it when we put it in , we attempted to bleed it after about an hour of bleeding the clutch felt like it still had air in it , we took the slave out to try to compress it but noticed that the shaft was bent (it was autozones best ) we are figuring that thing was just junk and we are replacing it with a better one maybe it was just bad. when we put a new one in today we are gonna get a power bleeder see if that is hopefully the problem,

bled the clutch

then the fun started

it is slipping the clutch without pushing the pedal getting the pressure plate hot like something is locking up inside the transmission

essentially same as before but she runs fine thru the gears from a dead start now we are really baffled any ideas?
    It sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging when you depress to pedal. The reason it "works" when you shut off the engine is the gears aren't spinning, so it snicks right in. The clutch disc is dragging enough that it won't go into gear with the engine running, but not dragging bad enough to allow the syncros in the trans to keep you from shifting up through the gears. The syncros are assisting, as they were intended, with your gearchanges.
    Your clutch dragging could be from any number of issues; air in the clutch hydraulics, bad master or slave cylinder, flex hose soft and swelling, worn throwout bearing, throwout sleeve, or fork, worn dual-mass flywheel, etc, etc.
    I would be looking at the TO bearing and related parts. Have you had the transaxle out yet?
    -Donny

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rayminir52 View Post

bled the clutch

then the fun started

It sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging when you depress to pedal. The reason it "works" when you shut off the engine is the gears aren't spinning, so it snicks right in. The clutch disc is dragging enough that it won't go into gear with the engine running, but not dragging bad enough to allow the syncros in the trans to keep you from shifting up through the gears. The syncros are assisting, as they were intended, with your gearchanges.
    Your clutch dragging could be from any number of issues; air in the clutch hydraulics, bad master or slave cylinder, flex hose soft and swelling, worn throwout bearing, throwout sleeve, or fork, worn dual-mass flywheel, etc, etc.
    I would be looking at the TO bearing and related parts. Have you had the transaxle out yet?
    -Donny

My Cars
    2001 525it
    To bleed the slave the slave is firs compressed then slowly released they can be a pain to bleed