Thread: I really don’t get this car...

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive

I really don’t get this car...

A couple weeks ago, my driver side outer axle boot ruptured and I ended up getting it taken care of. Set me back a bit but whatever, it is what it is. Today, I noticed that the passenger side has recently busted as well.

What are the odd of both front, left and right axles outer boots busting within 3 weeks timespan? I understand that it’s a mechanic rule of thumb to replace components in pair but is this one of those things that just happens coincidentally due to wear and tear or could it be a bigger problem that I’m not seeing? Somebody please help me understand this, thanks in advance.

2011 535i Xdrive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    you've not mentioned mileage on your car but these are usually long lived items. Any previous service with aftermarket parts and bets are off.
    No reason to replace most things* in pairs other than to pad an invoice.
    I suspect just poor timing on yours. It seems odd to me too.
    * some parts, shocks and brakes for example, can upset the handling of the car if not working the same on an axle. So, yes, if replacing for wear, these items should be done in axle pairs. Another exception might be things with redundant labor to change out.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2011 535i xdrive GT
    Speaking from experience I now replace both side of anything that breaks because I’ve learned the other is about to go. I’ve had cv boots go at different times, upper and lower control arm bearings go a week apart of each other. As I said I now replace both sides when one side gives way to wear. Couldn’t tell you if it’s because the car is balanced 50/50 so things wear evenly or not. But I wasn’t the least bit surprised by your post. I thought the same way.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The boots can split at any time I would only repair the axle that needed it

My Cars
    2001 525it
    What's really funny is my wife's Prius with over 200k has never had torn axle boots bu at every service I gave them a spray of silicone

My Cars
    11 550i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    What's really funny is my wife's Prius with over 200k has never had torn axle boots bu at every service I gave them a spray of silicone
    Your talking about a Toyota lol, these are BMW's whole different type of animal.