Thread: 04 745 i Engine light

My Cars
    04 745i

04 745 i Engine light

Sitting at the stop light,starts to run rough,"engine malfunction" light comes on,"accelerate slowly,dont put heavy load on engine can cause catalyst damage" WTF is that now? Then it clears up and runs fine. Its not a daily driver,meaning I dont use it to commute,just run to the store and usually out on Saturday night. 50 miles a week MAYBE. Thanks for any help you guys.

My Cars
    Reading the codes is always the first step. Your car can tell you what is wrong.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    04 745i
    So I will have to get a diagnosis from a shop? Stupid question I know but I hoped somebody could help.

My Cars
    2002 540i Mtech
    Depending on how technically minded you are :

1) You arent that technical - Defer to someone that is and get a proper OBD2 scan of the issue/issues and the malfunction code. Repost here and its likely someone has run into it. But right now its tough to tell without codes.
    2) You are technical - There are multiple posts on this forum and others regarding getting a proper OBD2 cable (i got mine on amazon), then do a search for INPA, watch some youtube videos on the topic and youll be able to scan for codes yourself.
    A) Getting INPA to work right is not entirely trivial. It will take you a few tries if you arent a bit techy.
    B) OR....Defer to a very good hand held scanner (some people use one that connects to android known as Carly. Its actually not that bad).

Right now you are at a point where it could be ANYTHING and you'll like get a host of possibilities - your X module is bad or you need to change your coils or oh thats just a battery issue or whatever. No codes, and your just throwing darts up against a wall and that leads to expensive replacement of what you think "might be the issue".

Dont mean to be harsh but its like 7th grade science class - use the tools to eliminate the variables and find root cause. Hope you take the advice in a positive way, and get back to us with a code.

My Cars
    04 745i
    Quote Originally Posted by achandra740i View Post
    Depending on how technically minded you are :

1) You arent that technical - Defer to someone that is and get a proper OBD2 scan of the issue/issues and the malfunction code. Repost here and its likely someone has run into it. But right now its tough to tell without codes.
    2) You are technical - There are multiple posts on this forum and others regarding getting a proper OBD2 cable (i got mine on amazon), then do a search for INPA, watch some youtube videos on the topic and youll be able to scan for codes yourself.
    A) Getting INPA to work right is not entirely trivial. It will take you a few tries if you arent a bit techy.
    B) OR....Defer to a very good hand held scanner (some people use one that connects to android known as Carly. Its actually not that bad).

Right now you are at a point where it could be ANYTHING and you'll like get a host of possibilities - your X module is bad or you need to change your coils or oh thats just a battery issue or whatever. No codes, and your just throwing darts up against a wall and that leads to expensive replacement of what you think "might be the issue".

Dont mean to be harsh but its like 7th grade science class - use the tools to eliminate the variables and find root cause. Hope you take the advice in a positive way, and get back to us with a code.

P0507
    There,it all sounds like Cat. O2 sensor,lean bank 2, bank 2 catalyst, F me

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Go after the lean fault first smoke check the intake manifold