Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2doors E38 S62 6-speed build spring 2020!

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Subframe is modded and the M5 diff is in the car. Rear Bilsteins and H&R springs are in. 38897AFB-7C0F-424E-86F0-63B05016756D.jpeg99E9AC3E-4FC4-4560-B8A0-3B1CE54250D5.jpeg
    Trevor
    01 749i sporty, build 12/00 "Sports Barge",S62
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F
    81 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.8T,AWW
    03 VW Passat wagon 4.0 W8 6spd

My Cars
    I love seeing projects like this. Keep up the hard work.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    NSX, C2S, Boxster GTS
    The Unicorn flywheel arrived this week:

Unicorn flywheel.jpg

and the Unicorn headers. These things are works of art.

Unicorn headers.jpg

Love this, speaking of art:

Unicorn logo.jpg

My Cars
    NSX, C2S, Boxster GTS
    OK, Trevor's been making great progress!

The 29k-mile S62 installation has begun:

S62 install begins.jpg

The headers arrived just in time. Obviously not an in-situ installation:

Unicorn headers installed.jpg

My Cars
    NSX, C2S, Boxster GTS

Red face

Next I have to figure out the NBT situation and sort out final interior decisions.

NBT: working with Shady on the details. The big thing is that if I'm going to do it I need to get the wiring to Trevor so he can make connections while everything is still open. After that I need to figure out how the console will look because the kit basically replaces the ashtray area. I wanted to keep the wood but it doesn't look like that will work very well. I think I'm going to source another console rather than destroy mine. Thinking.

Interior: I thought I was through the decision-making but Brian reminded me that we have to pick stitching. He's sent me some samples to look at (it's really hard to do it with pictures). Hopefully they will get her next week.

Happy Easter everyone!

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i Coupe
    Love this swap choice. Those headers are beautiful.
    2010 E92 328i 6MT - MMW Catless Headers, Catless Midpipes, 3 Stage Intake Manifold, BPC Tune, BC Racing Coilovers, BAVSound Ghost Sub & Stage 2 Speakers
    1999 E39 Touring - 2JZ Swap in Progress

My Cars
    2001 E38 740iM
    Subscribed! It's been a few years since I've been on the forums and just pinged Trevor about building one like this one and found this thread. Would like to hear more details and see more pics
    2001 740i M Sport, built 2/2001.
    Repairs Completed: Valey Pan, Intake gaskets, Oil Separator Valve, Valve cover gaskets, Upper timing chain cover gaskets, Vanos solenoid gaskets, Oil pan gasket, Overflow tank (4X), Overflow tank cap (3X), Overflow tank bleeder screw (6X), Most coolant hoses (1 or 2 left to the heater core), Flushed heater core, inspected auxiliary pump and heater valves, timing chain tensioner, Radiator, water pump, thermostat, sway bar links, 4 Wheel alignment
    Needed repairs: Upper & Lower control arms, power steering leaks, another oil leak, replace seal for Large water pump pipe inlet
    Mods: Soft Angel Eyes LEDs, blacked out grill, Painted valve cover gaskets, MK4 Nav, 2015 maps, M logo door lights, DICE Bluetooth and (non-DICE) DSP adapter.

My Cars
    NSX, C2S, Boxster GTS
    Next I have to figure out the NBT situation and sort out final interior decisions.

NBT: working with Shady on the details. The big thing is that if I'm going to do it I need to get the wiring to Trevor so he can make connections while everything is still open. After that I need to figure out how the console will look because the kit basically replaces the ashtray area. I wanted to keep the wood but it doesn't look like that will work very well. I think I'm going to source another console rather than destroy mine. Thinking.

Interior: I thought I was through the decision-making but Brian reminded me that we have to pick stitching. He's sent me some samples to look at (it's really hard to do it with pictures). Hopefully they will get her next week.

Happy Easter everyone!

My Cars
    NSX, C2S, Boxster GTS
    Seats with new leather. Coming together.

IMG_8384-preview.jpg

IMG_8385-preview.jpg

IMG_8386-preview.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Interior trim re-dye. Leather and trim by Brian...looks great from here, can't wait to see it all in person!

IMG_8392-preview.jpg

IMG_8393-preview.jpg

My Cars
    Bmw E39 528i
    That is a classy seat color, looks super soft and comfy.

My Cars
    2000 740iL
    Awesome build. Subscribed for updates.

My Cars
    NSX, C2S, Boxster GTS
    Starting to look like a car again! Interior installation is moving quickly now. Getting excited.

IMG_4383 (front seat).jpg

My Cars
    NSX, C2S, Boxster GTS
    Well, it's driveable now. Everything is installed except for the NBT stuff, and Shady is close to having that ready. Getting excited!

Profile view.jpg

Interior, passenger side.jpg

Engine view.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After staring at the interior pictures, and talking it over with Brian and Trevor...I realized that the interior leather just doesn't go with the Vavona trim. (Not to self: need the trim in hand when picking the leather.)

Tough decision - I love the Vavona - and I had shipping lined up, but I cancelled it. Trevor removed all the Vavona trim and shipped it to Shady, who will get all of it painted in piano black. Hoping to have it all back to Trevor within a week or so. Will post pics when I get them!

My Cars
    NSX, C2S, Boxster GTS
    OK, got some pics taken by Trevor just before shipping to me! Now with piano black trim. It actually just arrived - more on that shortly. I have a little bit of sorting to do on the NBT upon arrival, but otherwise it's basically there.

IMG_4473.jpg

IMG_4470.jpg

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4467.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

My Cars
    NSX, C2S, Boxster GTS
    I just got it plated today so I drove it a bit around town. I only just saw it in person for the first time after buying in on February 17.

1. Motor: smooth as golden. Lots of power of course. Will report back when I have put some highway miles on it.
    2. Transmission: very smooth as well. Easy to drive.
    3. Interior: completely blown away. Pictures simply do not do it justice. The leather is a rich, luxurious mahogany-type colour...exactly what I was going for when I was searching for Tobacco Brown. It feels and smells brand-new, which makes sense, because it is. Brian's work is spectacular. The seats, the dash, the door panels...such attention to detail. Trevor's work on the headliner, the carpets, and all the other countless tiny details is likewise perfection. I feel like I am in a brand new car. (Which, again, it pretty much is.)

A few more little things to do: the NBT doesn't work yet (trying a new emulator with Shady tonight...Trevor would have sorted it, but just ran out of time when there were complications), there is some trim around the rear-view mirror that fell off, there is some Vavona trim (cupholder cover under the HVAC controls) that I will get painted piano black to match the rest, and I'd like to remove the beige pinstripe that runs along the side of the car from the top of the side marker under the windows to the trunk. That may be it. But first, a really good clean!

More pictures to come. Here's what I took with my phone last night.

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Congrats! Feels great to have it doesn't it? I remember the day I picked mine up and was in heaven.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Congrats! Feels great to have it doesn't it? I remember the day I picked mine up and was in heaven.
    I remember picking you up at the airport and seeing your first reaction.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Haha, yes! What a great experience. It was even better than expected.

My Cars
    NSX, C2S, Boxster GTS
    Brandon, thanks. Yes it was great to finally see it in person after 6 months of great work done!

A few updates:

1. Got the NBT working. Got Shady (who has provided awesome support) on FaceTime, and we did some troubleshooting by swapping some components he shipped up to figure it out. Took about an hour - bad emulator. Fixed!
    2. Still have some NBT bugs - have to get CarPlay working. Hoping for this week.
    3. When I shipped back the components to Shady, I included the three remaining Vavona trim pieces so he can get them painted matching piano black. Might as well do it all right!
    4. The M-button isn't working yet. Trevor doesn't know what it is, but he's certain he can fix it. I'm sure it's fixable.
    5. The driver's heated seat doesn't work. I'll check the fuses this week - pretty sure that's it.
    6. I still REALLY want to remove that beige pinstripe. I tried the blowdryer, but it didn't make it easy to peel off as expected - it didn't do much. Maybe I need a hotter blowdryer

Question for the group: any suggestions about how to remove that pinstripe? Do I just need a more powerful blowdryer?

Cheers
    N

PS: got my plate.

E38 M7.jpg

M7 is bold, I know. But everything was done with that vision in mind. This was a comprehensive upgrade/modernization project that went way beyond an S62 swap and included engine-matching 6-speed/differential/driveshaft, Unicorn headers, Unicorn flywheel, full interior, full suspension, 750 brakes, NBT ID6. And only people who know what E38 means will understand what the plate is saying. Perfect.

My Cars
    2000 740iL
    This is such a cool build. Did you drive the car much at all before you did all the work? Or have you driven a stock e38?

I think the plate is rad, but haters will hate. I went kind of the opposite route for the plate on my swapped car.

20191012_153745.jpg

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Iirc, we couldn't get my M button to work either.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Iirc, we couldn't get my M button to work either.
    What M button are you guys talking about? Do you mean the sport displays?

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I meant sport button near cup holders

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I meant sport button near cup holders
    Thought so. Not sure why that would be causing trouble. Just needs a ground connection and the two sport button wires run to the DME. I thought Trevor had that working on his.

-Paul

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I think he did but I believe mine didn't work for some reason. Going by memory from several years ago though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast