Thread: CF-53 Toughbook for DIS? XP installation issue

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black

CF-53 Toughbook for DIS? XP installation issue

Burying the lede - details first to help with the questions:

I have a Panasonic CF-53 Toughbook that I have been trying to get setup for DIS and INPA. It's a hard-wired RS-232 laptop, so that's not a problem. I have the correct ADF cable/interface and DIS V44.
    I've been trying to load DIS on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, but am having no luck - mostly dealing with trying to get a free virtualization engine running. Meh.
    This last week, I've tried installing Windows XP SP3 32-bit (Refurbish version with valid COA), but am having trouble loading the SCSI/SATA driver (required by XP's "F6" SCSI driver step) from Panasonic. It's a known issue with the CF-53, but Panasonic does make a driver for it and steps to get in on a floppy; although the steps are for several different models, not just the CF-53. I have a USB 2.0 FDD (generic chinese stuff, but it does read and write a 1.44MB disk. I'm not sure if it's the TEAC emulation or the other popular one - I can check tomorrow). The FDD is plugged into one of the two USB 2.0 ports on the rear of the laptop. If I ignore the F6 step, the Windows XP SP3 install will blue-screen as the text part of the installation ends from a known ACPI issue [and I can't force IDE in the BIOS, thus the additional SCSI/SATA driver from Panasonic]. If I try to use the FDD, it's not recognized by the XP installation step.

Questions:
    Does anyone know how to get windows XP loaded on a Toughbook CF-53J (i53 "J" is mk 2 hardware)?
    Do I need a different FDD? (there is no option for an internal FDD - which is what I think the XP install disk is looking for). A factory panasonic USB drive is so far impossible to find.
    Does someone have a CF-53 MK 2 "XP" recovery disk that I can beg/borrow/rent to get XP loaded on this thing?
    Is there a definitive Laptop/XP combination that works for DIS and INPA? I'll change the laptop if I have to.
    Current links to DIS / INPA?
    Revtor, are you out there? heheh...
    Last edited by DavesNotHere; 03-05-2020 at 11:43 PM.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    I went through that with a Toughbook... you have to find the driver files for the SCSI/SATA that are .txt(?) file drivers? Nothing executable. Put those in a folder on your install disk/usb. When it comes time to load them during install, "Browse" for the folder and load them up. That's the only way I could get XP to load
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    Thanks, cartoonz, you've validated where I'm at; which is the problem.
    As far as I can tell, I have all the correct files on the 3.5" floppy disk. I can see them on the laptop I wrote to the disk with:
    20200306_135752.jpg

The files match what Panasonic says I should have: http:\\pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp\dl\docs\61648
    20200306_162145.jpg

XP does not recognize the USB floppy when it gives the option ("S") to search for the driver files. (photo attached shortly) I don't see any way to browse for them. I've tried exiting the driver selection which goes back to the previous screen to look for another driver, but the XP install just doesn't see a floppy - even if I eject and load the floppy media or unplug/plug it back into the USB 2.0 port (same results with either 2.0 port; it for sure won't be recognized by a USB 3.0 port).
    I was thinking of using a USB stick if I can find something smaller than 64GB lol, but it's a moot point if XP won't browse to a resource.
    I'm looking into buying a pre-loaded XP SSD with a CF-53J mk2 image on it or take the toughbook to a local shop and pay for some wizardry, but I'd much rather figure this out, post the solution, and maybe save some other folks some future pain.

(sweet stable, btw. WooT!)
    Last edited by DavesNotHere; 03-06-2020 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Added photo(s)

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    you put the folder on the media you are installing from... burn a new cd or usb stick with it included. That is the only drive you will be able to "browse"

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Alternatively you can slipstream the drivers into the Windows installation disc. This way you do not have to mess with the F6 option during setup. A great tool for this is nLite. For example instructions see SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD. Make sure you select "Textmode driver" while adding them (textmode drivers are those used at the F6 stage, PnP drivers are used after Windows is mostly installed to finish setting up devices like graphics card and network interface). You can add multiple textmode drivers, so in case you are not sure which is right for your system, you can add several and let the system decide automatically during installation.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    cartoonz: Happy to try putting the file folder in the root directory of the floppy, although the instructions have me putting them directly in the root directory. I can see that the laptop does not scan the floppy during the XP install, although the floppy itself will do a track seek when I install the media.

revtor: I definitely like the slipstream idea - going to give that a go this weekend.

UPDATES:
    (1) I found the BIOS was set to "NORMAL" for the USB mode. However, setting it to "COMPATIBLE" (as directed by the BIOS help if I'm having problems booting from USB devices), didn't help any.

(2) The SCSI/SATA driver might be wrong, but it seems like the laptop should at least show the file on the floppy when it gets to that point in the installation. The reason for the driver question is: I've been reading the "mk" version of the toughbook wrong. It's a CF-532Jxxxxx which means that it's a MK4, not a MK2. Panasonic never released the MK4 with XP and does not list drivers for XP (the minimum O.S. released with the MK4 product was Windows 7. If they changed the SCSI/SATA chip, the MK2 XP SCSI/SATA driver likely won't work (and I don't know what chip they use - I haven't opened the toughbook yet).

It may be the case that I'll need a different laptop (CF-53 mk2 or CF-52 or earlier) to run XP natively. If I can't get XP loaded natively and there's a straightforward way to get XP virtualized under Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (I might have a 7 pro disk and COA lying around if it's needed), I'd be willing to put in the effort, although I've had trouble getting the USB 2 and 3 drivers to install.

I'll let y'all know how it goes this weekend. Thank you for the help so far!

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    Trying to use the Toughbook 53 mk4 was getting on my last nerve and then this COVID-19 thing happens so here I am looking for Toilet Paper (WTH???). Anyway, I've decided to use a different laptop and am going with a Dell Lattitude D630 and XP Pro SP3. w/2GB RAM. The critical factors were: 1) a "hardware" RS-232 serial port, and 2) the ability to fully load XP without wanting to smash my forehead into a wall.
    So far, the O.S. is loaded and the drivers have been updated. It's actually a nice, reasonably speedy 14.1" laptop with bluetooth and wifi (B/G/N). Now to see where I put the DIS 4.4 and INPA disks...

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    DavesNotHere: Did you see my private message(s) just over a week ago (March 7)?

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    Hi Revtor. No, I didn't until you mentioned it today. The threads are cooking, should be done in an hour. I need to get some media to burn today so I can do the installs "the right way" on XP. I had INPA running on the Toughbook under Windows 7 Pro previously (piece of cake), but couldn't get DIS happy. It will be great to have a proper diagnostic system for the car. Thank you SO much for your help!

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    You don't need recordable CD/DVD when installing DIS in a virtual machine. You can load the ISO images directly in VMWare. You would only use physical media when doing a native install on an IBM T30 or a Group Tester One. That does not apply to you.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    Cool! All these bits of wisdom are helping TONS! Hope to pay it forward one day.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    Revtor, out of curiosity, what makes the IBM T30 "or similar" special so that VMWare isn't needed? Is that limited to IBM Thinkpads like the T40 (I'm assuming the T40 is similar enough), or do certain other brands' models work similarly (like a Dell D630 )?

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    DIS is not Windows software. It runs in SCO OpenServer (UNIX) which never had much popularity on consumer hardware. That means hardware support is limited. Furthermore the DIS operating system installer is not an installer as you know from Windows and Linux. Windows and Linux setups detect hardware and install/configure the required drivers/modules during setup. The DIS operating system installer is actually an image of a reference system (think of Ghost, Acronis True Image, CloneZilla,...). So installing the DIS operating system is nothing but unpacking the reference snapshot onto the harddisk. No hardware detection or configuration is performed. In other words, the system will only boot properly if the hardware is similar to the original hardware. For the BMW dealers that was not a problem because they had to buy the MoDiC, later DIS(plus) and even later Group Tester One from BMW. So everyone had the same hardware.

IBM ThinkPads always had relatively good UNIX support and it seems the hardware configuration of the IBM T30 is not too dissimilar from the Group Tester One. With some tweaks it can be made to work. So far I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work (native) on anything else than a ThinkPad but that doesn't mean there aren't other computers that could run it. Computers of the same time period obviously have a greater chance of success than newer and older ones. If you have a spare harddisk (or don't mind reinstalling Windows from scratch), feel free to try and see what happens...

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    Thanks. I might just go get a T30 and see how it goes - they're not expensive. So many variables with different brands and models and still having issues with the D630, but better progress than before.

Progress:
    1) Loaded VMware. Tried Workstation 6.0 and ESXi4. Got a "The host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled." error. Found that "Virtualization" was not turned on by default in BIOS A19, so enabled it in BIOS. Also noted that TPM was turned off (and the TPM device was not present in XP's Device Manager, so Enabled that too), rebooted, and installed the driver. The latter shouldn't matter, but at least the devices are all present.

BUT... even with Virtualization enabled in BIOS, VMware throws a "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform. Continue without virtualized VT-x/EPT?" warning.
    "Yes" is the only way to continue ("No" ends the session). Edited the session config file (located at the bottom of the VMware session window) to turn off virtualized VT-x/EPT: vmv.enable ="FALSE"
    VMware now runs without an error, but warns that only 32-bit virtualized sessions are allowed now. Figured that isn't an issue, but IDK 100%.

2) Because it seemed that VMware wanted to load the O.S. from the CD (drive 1:0), I burned the CD for the GT1 OS and DVD for DIS instead of figuring out how to load from a stick on USB (which I did add to the session as a device, but still no joy...).
    Loaded GT1 from CD, DIS and DATEN from DVD as directed. For whatever the reason, it took *minutes* for DIS to start - until I rebooted the PC this morning. More on that, later.

Ran into some confusion about the IP address for DIS vs. the Laptop's IP address when using the ADS/OBD head (tinyADS w/cable from openlabs.co - yeah, I was lazy and bought the pre-assembled cable... ). The IP thing might be biting me in the butt right now, but on to the INPA installation because we need it for DIS...

3) Loaded INPA as directed. SUPER simple (thank you, Revtor!). The .iso I had before worked fine, but this image was better. Ran ADSSETUP.exe and rebooted. Edited EDIABAS.INI for the ADS interface. Ran ifhsrv32.exe.

At this point, the ADS head is *not* connected to the vehicle (6/94 840ci or 840i, depending on who you ask).

4) Started DIS. Took *minutes* to load. Eventually got stuck on a note screen with the hourglass showing and stayed that way for at least 10 hours (went to bed, slept-in...). Of course, I forgot the part about CTL-ALT-F12 to shutdown the VMware session, rebooted the laptop, and broke the F--- out of the VMware session to the point it would load, but then give the Black Screen of Nothingness (for at least an hour to the point I gave up on waiting to see if it would resolve). Time for something stronger than tea...

4a) Deleted the VMware session, reinstalled it as Workstation 6 and EXSi5. Why EXSi5? IDK, seemed like something to try. Workstation 6.5+ drops IDE support when configuring the session, and since the instructions call for the HD at IDE 0:0 and CD/DVD at 1:0, I didn't want to go too far off the reservation and change more than one thing at a time. So, DIS and DATEN reloaded on EXSi5. laptop rebooted, still the same IP address question to resolve (maybe?), ran ifhsrv32.exe, started DIS.

5) DIS starts fairly quickly now (about 3 minutes). Not sure if it's supposed to be faster than that - 1 2.2GHz core, single threaded, with an 80GB HD instead of SSD. Figured I'd invest in an SSD and reload DIS/INPA once all the bits are working.
    HOWEVER... DIS gets stuck when opening the "Diagnosis" page. The hourglass never goes away and no buttons or scroll features are functional. The VMware session isn't hung because CTL-ALT will toggle control back to the desktop and using CTL-ALT-12 within the VMware session (while the DIS screen is hung) will allow the session to shutdown. I also noted a portmapper error when DIS starts, and some device errors in the session BIOS startup like the pci-to-CARDBUS bridge (which I think doesn't matter, but not 100% sure). Photos below:

20200319_142053.jpg
    20200319_142056.jpg
    20200319_125638.jpg
    20200319_142427.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DavesNotHere; 03-19-2020 at 04:00 PM. Reason: loaded photos

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    Portmapper error:
    Attachment 667922

The Coding screen in the previous post "works" in that the buttons are clickable and I can navigate back to the DIS home screen or anywhere else. Once Diagnostics is clicked, DIS hangs. Putting some more time on this after I check it out on the car first.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DavesNotHere View Post
    Thanks. I might just go get a T30 and see how it goes - they're not expensive. So many variables with different brands and models and still having issues with the D630, but better progress than before.
    Not so fast... If you want a native install you also need a DK (yellow head) interface. Genuine ones are hard to come by and very expensive. Even clones are quite pricey.

1) Loaded VMware. Tried Workstation 6.0 and ESXi4. Got a "The host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled." error. Found that "Virtualization" was not turned on by default in BIOS A19, so enabled it in BIOS.
    BUT... even with Virtualization enabled in BIOS, VMware throws a "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform. Continue without virtualized VT-x/EPT?" warning.
    "Yes" is the only way to continue ("No" ends the session). Edited the session config file (located at the bottom of the VMware session window) to turn off virtualized VT-x/EPT: vmv.enable ="FALSE"
    VMware now runs without an error, but warns that only 32-bit virtualized sessions are allowed now. Figured that isn't an issue, but IDK 100%.
    It's probably okay as it is now (DIS is not 64-bit and the fact that you can actually launch it proves that VMWare works), but this seems to be a common issue on Dell laptops. Apparently you do not only have to enable Intel VT-x in the BIOS but also through Dell Client Configuration ToolKit (CCTK). From what I've found you should execute following CLI commands:

cctk -virtualization=disable
    (reboot)
    cctk -virtualizaton=enable

2) Because it seemed that VMware wanted to load the O.S. from the CD (drive 1:0), I burned the CD for the GT1 OS and DVD for DIS instead of figuring out how to load from a stick on USB (which I did add to the session as a device, but still no joy...).
    Loaded GT1 from CD, DIS and DATEN from DVD as directed. For whatever the reason, it took *minutes* for DIS to start - until I rebooted the PC this morning. More on that, later.
    Instead of using physical media, simply change the properties of the CD/DVD drive in VMWare: Select "Use ISO image file" instead of "Use physical drive" and click "Browse..." to locate and load the ISO file.

Anyway, for now forget about INPA, Ediabas, ifhsrv32.exe and the ADS interface. Even without those you should still be able to at least access the DIS Diagnosis home screen. As long as that doesn't work it makes no sense to make things more complex by introducing Ediabas and ADS.

4a) Deleted the VMware session, reinstalled it as Workstation 6 and EXSi5. Why EXSi5?
    ESXi support shouldn't matter if you use VMWare Workstation, but it's fine. I have the same setting.

5) DIS starts fairly quickly now (about 3 minutes). Not sure if it's supposed to be faster than that - 1 2.2GHz core, single threaded, with an 80GB HD instead of SSD. Figured I'd invest in an SSD and reload DIS/INPA once all the bits are working.
    An SSD might improve loading times a bit but don't expect wonders. The main problem of DIS in a virtual machine is that there are no VMWare drivers for SCO OpenServer 5.0.6. That means it accesses the (virtual) harddisk in a low speed compatibility mode instead of making better use of the hardware capabilities. The same is true for the graphics. This is where a native install has a clear advantage. It'll run a lot faster on even slower hardware. You can compensate for the lack of VMWare drivers by using very powerful hardware. On a modern high-end system you can get DIS to boot to the home screen in under 40 seconds in VMWare.

HOWEVER... DIS gets stuck when opening the "Diagnosis" page. The hourglass never goes away and no buttons or scroll features are functional.
    And that shouldn't happen... Even without an interface connected you should be able to access the Diagnosis home screen (beyond that you need actual connection to a vehicle).

I also noted a portmapper error when DIS starts
    Some warnings and errors during startup are normal (like PCI to Cardbus bridge not found, UHCI/OHCI controller not found,...). These point at hardware that is not present in the virtual machine but is otherwise not required for normal operation.

Portmapper errors usually indicate network issues and DIS is extremely fragile when it comes to networking.

I also see references in your pictures to devices that should not exist in the virtual machine. Are you sure you followed the instructions to the letter?

Can you reinstall DIS, carefully paying attention to the prerequisites of the virtual machine, and stop right before "Change DIS IP Address". Instead check if you can now access the Diagnosis home screen without the hourglass getting stuck.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    Thanks Revtor. I installed as closely to the letter as I could - given the issues above. I'll get the cctk stuff done and reinstall DIS as you posted above. Stay tuned...
    I could put it on the Toughbook 52 mk4 with 7 Pro 32-bit if that would work since I can't get XP to install yet (I haven't done the streamlining thing since I got the Dell instead of more head-banging lol)

1) Installed the Dell CCTK for XP on the Dell D630. It required .NET 3.5 SP1. ran cctk command lines: cctk --virtualization=disable (not necessary IMO, but did it anyway), then: cctk --virtualization=enable. Rebooted. Set vmv.enable ="TRUE" in the VM config file. Started the VMware session, got the "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform. Continue without virtualized VT-x/EPT?" warning. Oh well, it was worth a shot - can always disable the warning.

2) Removed the VM disk. Reinstalled with Workstation 6, ESXi 5, 256MB RAM, 1 CPU w/1 core, preallocated not persistent 8GB HD IDE 0:0, CD/DVD IDE 1:0, Network Adapter bridged not replicated Connect at startup, 1 Monitor 1024x768, 1 serial port Physical COM:1 Connect at startup Not Yield to CPU on poll. Didn't see a customization for the ADS/OBD head, so figured that meant RS-232 COM:1. Removed the USB device that VMware added before rebuilding the session.

3) Reinstalled GT1 with the .iso (browse the CD/DVD to the .iso before starting the VMware session). Loaded more quickly than the physical CD. I didn't see how to unmount the .iso before "restart the system", so I used CTL-ALT-F12 and shutdown the session.

FWIW: The laptop chime seems loudly hung at the screen to Restart, but it can be silenced with CTL-ALT-F12. The first time this happened yesterday, I forced a laptop shutdown by holding the power key due to GF aggro and slamming doors... not so bueno. I had reinstalled with all the noise but using CTL-ALT-F12 yesterday before posting about the issues then. The seemingly hung chime still is a thing though.

4) Browsed to the DATEN .iso before restarting the session since the file will be needed in the Administration task, but I don't see a way to get to an unmounted .iso that the VMware session isn't already aware of before starting the session. I can't exactly follow the instructions "to the letter" like that unless I use a physical CD and DVD, but I think it meets the intent without adding issues.
    Anyway...
    Restarted the DIS session. Noted the portmapper warning still comes up during the boot. Waited at least 5 minutes after the Language selection screen loaded. Did not see a system restart, so continued with the dealer info. Clicked "Administration". The CD/DVD window already had the .iso listed and was activated (go figure...). Waited for DIS to install and then deactivated the CD. End -> Quit, then back to the DIS home screen.

5) Clicked on "Diagnose" and the Diagnosis screen comes up with a message window and an "hourglass" cursor that doesn't resolve to a pointer. Nothing is clickable. HOWEVER, pressing the Space Bar closes the message window but leaves the hourglass cursor.
    20200320_134652.jpg
    20200320_134806.jpg

Again, nothing is clickable and this time the Space Bar does nothing. CTL-ALT-F12 shuts down the session and it restarts to DIS and Diagnose like this:
    20200320_140652.jpg
    20200320_140714.jpg
    where nothing is clickable, the Space Bar does nothing, and the cursor is an hourglass.
    Last edited by DavesNotHere; 03-20-2020 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added photos, finished post

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    On a whim - I loaded the Toughbook 53 mk4 with Windows 7 32-bit. Installed VMware, DIS, and the Daten from the ISOs. Same result as above. Seems to be "okay" until launching Diagnostics, then it hangs the same as above.

Moving forward: Loaded INPA and the tools from the ISO, set compatibility to XP SP3, and INPA runs. I'll test it on the car when it stops raining tomorrow. Still looking for a DIS solution, but having INPA running will help a bunch. Thinking about digging up the DIS image I had and loading that to see if something at least changes. I'll post on this again soon.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    2) Removed the VM disk. Reinstalled with Workstation 6, ESXi 5, 256MB RAM, 1 CPU w/1 core, preallocated not persistent 8GB HD IDE 0:0, CD/DVD IDE 1:0, Network Adapter bridged not replicated Connect at startup, 1 Monitor 1024x768, 1 serial port Physical COM:1 Connect at startup Not Yield to CPU on poll. Didn't see a customization for the ADS/OBD head, so figured that meant RS-232 COM:1. Removed the USB device that VMware added before rebuilding the session.
    You should not add a serial port to the DIS virtual machine (although I can't see this causing the problem, computers like the Group Tester One and IBM T30 have a serial port too). DIS does not support serial interfaces. The way the ADS/ODB interface works in DIS is actually through ifhsrv32.exe (Ediabas) in Windows. ifhsrv32.exe in Windows talks to the interface over a serial port but the communication with DIS is actually over network. Thus the virtual machine does not need a serial port.

I didn't see how to unmount the .iso before "restart the system", so I used CTL-ALT-F12 and shutdown the session.
    Sorry for the confusion there. There is not really a way to unmount the image in VMWare other than loading another ISO, disconnecting (disabling) the CD/DVD device or changing it back to the physical device. I typically use a small empty dummy.iso for this.

FWIW: The laptop chime seems loudly hung at the screen to Restart
    That's normal. Whomever developed the original installer at BMW really seemed to like the system beep.

Anyway, judging from your screenshots there is still something wrong with your network configuration. Immediately after installing DIS the network status in the top right corner of the screen should look as follows:

Yours stays grey (when changing DIS to use the ADS/ODB interface it's normal these become grey again but not at this stage of the installation). The portmapper error is probably related to this and I'm pretty sure this is what prevents you from starting Diagnosis (remember, DIS is extremely fragile when it comes to networking).

What is the IP address of the Windows machine? Is there any chance you have a network conflict with the default IP address of DIS (192.168.68.30 - not really a common range for home networks)?

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    Thank you, revtor. I've redone the DIS install today on the Dell 630 (XP SP3). The IP of the machine is 192.168.1.x , usually .250 or so via DHCP using the AT&T Uverse router with a cable or wifi - same result either way. The mask when changing the DIS address should be 255.255.255.0, yes? The gateway is 192.168.1.254. I do not see a conflict with 192.168.68.30 and command->ipconfig comes back with

I took the liberty of setting up VMnet2 on the Dell's wired NIC and used that for the Network Adapter "Custom (VMnet2)". VMnet0 uses the Wifi adapter. No difference either way or Bridged - the network lights stay grey in DIS.

I agree that it looks like the problem lies with the portmapper and the PCNet - PCI bridge pnt0 device that is failing (missing) during the session boot. I don't know how to fix that within VMware (how to get to the O.S. with DIS loaded to work on devices) without having the PC running UNIX in front of me to build a working VMware session from. But one foot in front of the other; back to Bridged and continuing with this. Very much appreciating your help.
    Last edited by DavesNotHere; 03-25-2020 at 03:13 PM.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    The mask when changing the DIS address should be 255.255.255.0, yes?
    Yes, but don't change the DIS address or interface yet (during your next install). First check whether you get the green/yellow/red bar right after installing DIS and can access the Diagnosis screen without things locking up. It doesn't make sense to proceed with the instructions if it already fails right there.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    To date: The bar does not light up after the CD and does not light up after the reboot or after the DVD and before changing the network address (I have yet to see it light up at all). Doing another install - maybe on VMnet1 or 8 since they show up in ipconfig:
    20200325_142302[1].jpg

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    The new image worked. Thank you, revtor! Above and beyond!
    Using the VMware 10 installation (Workstation 6.0, defined in the config file). Panasonic CF-53 mk4, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit.
    I'll get the IP address changed, the head on the car tomorrow and see how it goes. Just Thrilled!
    20200325_224128[1].jpg
    Last edited by DavesNotHere; 03-26-2020 at 11:10 PM.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    After some additional fits (the image loaded but wouldn't talk to the Tiny ADS Cable without a port tweak in EDIABAS.INI), DIS 5.7 is up and running on a Panasonic Toughbook 54 mk 4 running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, VMware Workstation 6.0, ESXi 5, per revtor's instructions.

A HUGE THANK YOU to revtor, all that have chimed in with advice and support, and all that have come before to make this possible.

Now to fix that pesky ABS pump and make the ABS and ASC+T lights go away! Oh, maybe after the Seat Memory Module capacitor work that I owe and update on...
    Last edited by DavesNotHere; 03-31-2020 at 10:23 PM.