Thread: Why are there more convertibles for sale than coupes?

My Cars
    98 328iS, 99 540iT

Why are there more convertibles for sale than coupes?

So I have been looking at getting another 3 series coupe. I had an e36 for 10 years and loved it, but this time I want something a little newer, a little nicer, and I want an M car because I spent most of those 10 years doing modifications to make my 328 perform like an M car.

So I arrived at an e46 or e92. I have found that there seem to be a lot more e46 convertibles for sale than coupes. I am wondering if any one has insight as to why. I think I like the e46 more, and there just seems to be a premium on coupes vs convertibles, and there are a lot more of the convertibles. I actually wouldn't mind a convertible, but I just didn't want to get in to something that has known problems. And from what I've seen for sale, I am cautious.

As an aside, I am considering the e92 also, I'm just a little unsure of getting something to with too much technology.

My Cars
    A4 B7 E36 M50TU E46 M52
    No one wants them ugly heavy things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    When ever I ask a customer how often they but there top down most say hardly ever. I think they buy them thinking how great it would be to have a convertible on,y to realize it's not for them.

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    It may also be in part location. I would never buy a convertible in the New England area where we see plenty of "weather" around here. Maybe if I were in Texas or somewhere it's mostly sunny...

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    When ever I ask a customer how often they put there top down most say hardly ever. I think they buy them thinking how great it would be to have a convertible only to realize it's not for them.
    I know that the owner I bought my 2nd Cabriolet from last October rarely put his top down because he was bald and didn't wear hats. He actually told me this. Admittedly, I don't drop the top as often as I would like but that's mostly because I take short trips in either of mine but if my drive is going to be longer than a few miles and the weather is permitting, it goes down, unlike Trump's wife.
    Last edited by All2kool; 03-05-2020 at 10:32 AM.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by TTGZDOG View Post
    No one wants them ugly heavy things.
    They weigh a few hundred pounds more at best and there isn't one thing ugly about them - top up or top down.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 1995 325is
    I have a convertible with the factory hard top. In the summer it's a convertible and in the winter it's like a coupe. It even has connectors for ski and kayak racks. The perfect solution for an all weather car.

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    I had two e36 convertibles (first a 318 automatic, then a 325 5 speed,) sold them and got an e38, missed the nimbleness and top down driving so I got a e46 last year, just sold the e38 last week. Came with a hardtop, but probably won't ever put it on. Overall, I like the e46 more than the e36s, which I liked a lot. Love the 3.0 engine compared to the 2.5.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by ConvGeorge View Post
    Came with a hardtop, but probably won't ever put it on.
    I would love to find a hardtop for either of my Cabriolet's. I've even prepped the 2002 for one. Problem is, if you can't find one that matches your color, it's about $600 to have one paint matched.

My Cars
    2000 323ci cabrio

Perceived value

It's an unpopular position but still true: the convertible variant of most cars is the more valuable and more desirable version. Sure, you may not like a convertible, and you may not want one, but the value is higher. Consequently, the convertible is more likely to be preserved -- twenty years on, and the survivors are the high value cars. Ironically, this often fails as a strategy as maintaining the roof mechanism might be expensive and difficult ...

There are still a lot of e46 coupes for sale near me. About on par with the number of cabrios. But the coupes are more likely to have been modified and be high mileage, the cabrios can be found low mileage and maintained as OEM cars. And given that there were originally a lot more coupes sold, it speaks to which cars get kept, and which ones were junked.

I bought an e46 cabrio with less than 25,000 miles on it three years ago. It's now up to 45,000 miles -- most of them top-down because I like the sun on my head. Blessedly, it was an original manual top version so there are sensors to monitor but none of the complex power mechanism that can be difficult to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by joerodd View Post
    So I have been looking at getting another 3 series coupe. I had an e36 for 10 years and loved it, but this time I want something a little newer, a little nicer, and I want an M car because I spent most of those 10 years doing modifications to make my 328 perform like an M car.

So I arrived at an e46 or e92. I have found that there seem to be a lot more e46 convertibles for sale than coupes. I am wondering if any one has insight as to why. I think I like the e46 more, and there just seems to be a premium on coupes vs convertibles, and there are a lot more of the convertibles. I actually wouldn't mind a convertible, but I just didn't want to get in to something that has known problems. And from what I've seen for sale, I am cautious.

As an aside, I am considering the e92 also, I'm just a little unsure of getting something to with too much technology.

My Cars
    '97 328ic, '02 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by ConvGeorge View Post
    Came with a hardtop, but probably won't ever put it on.
    Have interest in selling it? I've been searching for awhile and also have been craving some southern BBQ

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by RGBaker View Post
    It's an unpopular position but still true: the convertible variant of most cars is the more valuable and more desirable version. Sure, you may not like a convertible, and you may not want one, but the value is higher. Consequently, the convertible is more likely to be preserved -- twenty years on, and the survivors are the high value cars. Ironically, this often fails as a strategy as maintaining the roof mechanism might be expensive and difficult ...

There are still a lot of e46 coupes for sale near me. About on par with the number of cabrios. But the coupes are more likely to have been modified and be high mileage, the cabrios can be found low mileage and maintained as OEM cars. And given that there were originally a lot more coupes sold, it speaks to which cars get kept, and which ones were junked.

I bought an e46 cabrio with less than 25,000 miles on it three years ago. It's now up to 45,000 miles -- most of them top-down because I like the sun on my head. Blessedly, it was an original manual top version so there are sensors to monitor but none of the complex power mechanism that can be difficult to maintain.
    What are you talking about? Like for like, the coupe is almost always more expensive than the convertible.

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    What are you talking about? Like for like, the coupe is almost always more expensive than the convertible.
    When my convertible got stolen, I did a fairly exhaustive survey across the country. Convertibles were about $1k-1.5k more expensive on average. Note that many of these were also standard transmission, which is also more pricy. Lots more automatic coupes than auto verts.

I got my car back two months later - and caught the guy who stole it!

My Cars
    2007 335i; 2005 ZHP vert
    I have an e93 (335) and an e46 (330ZHP), both convertibles. I also live in the south. The top is down every chance I get. I will also say, the 335 (twin turbo) is much faster, and you can feel it push you back into your seat. But, it comes at a cost. The N54 is a wonderful engine, but the turbos, HPFP, fuel injectors will give you problems. And they are difficult to fix at home. My e46 has it's own issues (cooling system, DISA) and is not as fast. It "feels" more enjoyable to drive though. And it's issues seem to be easier to work on at home. As always YMMV.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by sprung View Post
    I have an e93 (335) and an e46 (330ZHP), both convertibles. I also live in the south. The top is down every chance I get. I will also say, the 335 (twin turbo) is much faster, and you can feel it push you back into your seat. But, it comes at a cost. The N54 is a wonderful engine, but the turbos, HPFP, fuel injectors will give you problems. And they are difficult to fix at home. My e46 has it's own issues (cooling system, DISA) and is not as fast. It "feels" more enjoyable to drive though. And it's issues seem to be easier to work on at home. As always YMMV.
    Sounds like you need an M3. Luck would have it that at least on M3s, the convertibles sell for $10kish less than coupes.

My Cars
    2007 335i; 2005 ZHP vert
    LOL, I'm actually in the market for an E46 M3. And yes, it will have to be a convertible.

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by tadanlala View Post
    Have interest in selling it? I've been searching for awhile and also have been craving some southern BBQ
    Sorry, I have a good place to keep it out of the way and when I do eventually sell the car I think it will sell better with it!

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 1995 325is
    Because convertibles are just cooler than coupes. They look better, but you need a hardtop for the winter.

My Cars
    2000 323ci cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Sounds like you need an M3. Luck would have it that at least on M3s, the convertibles sell for $10kish less than coupes.
    I get it. You don't like convertibles.

But a quick review of listings on Autotrader & Hemmings (just because it's easy) demonstrate that convertibles, with similar miles and options, are priced higher. Not just for BMWs, but for any older vehicle. The convertible version, most likely the most expensive version, retains its position as most valuable.

Many prefer a coupe. Lucky for them, they are cheaper.

My Cars
    05 e46 vert & 05 X5
    Lol. We live in KS and have 3 verts. My oldest has a Z3, while youngest has a 128i and I just got a 325ci. Fortunately I have a truck for the ugly months.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Verts are more likely to be kept up and maintained. Generally verts are an older buying crowd and getbpaired with garages and maintenance records.. Most e46 coupes have rotted and been scrapped here in ny. There are plenty of verts for sale seasonally in NY as well. Coupes, rarely. And rarely not absolutely fucked with by the 18-25 yr old street madman.

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    I can tell you the inverse. There are TONS of coupes at the Pick n Pull, and convertibles are incredibly rare. Not as rare as wagons, but not common.

M3 is top

In general wagon higher than vert higher than coupe higher than sedan (I know m3 was coupe/vert only, but check the prices for s54 converted wagons!)
    Stick higher than auto higher than SMG
    Last edited by harrier; 05-27-2020 at 11:49 PM.