Thread: E34 Ground Control Coilovers on a E32 750iL

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX

Cool E34 Ground Control Coilovers on a E32 750iL

Howdy!

I don't post in here often but after my extensive researching of suspension systems between both the platforms and needing an upgrade after hitting a MASSIVE pot hole that blew my rear hydraulic lines and bent EVERY SINGLE WHEEL I figure I would make a post that has a bit more solid information on it all.

You can find the spec sheet on the Ground Control Coilovers here, though if you are reading this and considering this route, get some taller springs.

Ground Control was super helpful in the whole process and I got lucky enough that they already had a core set laying around for the conversion. If this is your first time exploring upgrading the suspension on your E32/E34 then you will learn the the front struts come as an assembly and the shocks are actually inserts that can be removed. In converting to a coilover system, that assembly has to be chopped up to fit the adjustable spring and new shock plus add reinforcement.

Everything was a 100% bolt up process and no modifying had to be done, the only item I did was order a break line from NAPA to reroute the hydraulic lines for the rear SLS. I will find the post I referenced and put in here so you can have pictures and the NAPA part number. It is an extremely easy process and takes no more than 10 minutes to complete.

Updating with images to come because the forum is terrible about hosting

Driveability Notes-
    - Upon installing and driving for the first time I noted the rebound extremely harsh, I went back and turned the rebound down to the softest setting
    - With the spring lengths I have at the highest setting on the coilovers the car is super low, only giving about 1.5 inches of ground clearance on the oil pan. This is not ideal in areas that have terrible roads ie - Missouri
    - Increased noise and vibration from the solid shock mounts but minimal comparing to previous original everything
    - Tight turning in parking lots or while moving slowly can lead to spring popping noise as they move freely on the perches
    - Springs can become unseated and create noise while touching back onto the perches in extreme circumstances
    - Almost completely removes the 'bounciness' the car experienced on the stock suspension in rough terrain (roads in Missouri are more similar to trails currently), and completely removed the mid corner bump steering I would experience

Overall - If money is no option then buy the OEM parts, if you want static suspension that can be rebuilt and won't be crazy and is adjustable then Ground Control is the only option in my opinion as the ride quality is perfect for the highway and some around town driving
    I don't consider air suspension as an option as I don't want to 'slam' my car (as it currently sits on the ground basically in a static setup)

Useful Links -
    Link to post about re-routing SLS line in left front wheel well - https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...7#post28684727
    Ground Control Parts List - https://imgur.com/8MIaJQO
    Contact Ground Control before ordering for a E32 - https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...e-coilover-kit

Last edited by Bear Grylls; 02-26-2020 at 03:18 PM.