Thread: Question about Bilstein / H&R Race Springs.

My Cars
    1997 328i Vert, 1997 528

Question about Bilstein / H&R Race Springs.

Hey guys, I know that there are a million threads about suspension combos, but I found sometimes it's easier just to ask rather than try to piece the info.

I bought a 97 328 Vert not long ago, and I read the rear spring in the vert is slightly different (taller?).

I found a local guy selling a new set of H&R Race Springs for a 95 M3 that haven't been installed for less then half the price new.
    Last edited by slidinthru; 04-27-2020 at 07:50 PM.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    I ran that same setup on my sedan for about 5 years and really liked it! It was low but with stock wheels it didn’t rub at all.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by slidinthru View Post
    Hey guys, I know that there are a million threads about suspension combos, but I found sometimes it's easier just to ask rather than try to piece the info.

I bought a 97 328 Vert not long ago, and I read the rear spring in the vert is slightly different (taller?).

I found a local guy selling a new set of H&R Race Springs for a 95 M3 that haven't been installed for less then half the price new.

I read they will fit with a new top mount?

My car currently has B8 Bilsteins. Not sure about which springs are on it.

Any opinions on the combo? And does the deal on the springs justify maybe a slighter stiffer ride?

The car isnt my daily so harshness of ride only matter so much to me.

Thanks
    The pad is taller (I want to say 15mm VS 5mm normal, but the 15mm pad may be the E46 vert pad). I don't think the spring itself is taller, but I could be wrong.

In any case you can run them but they'll be pretty low. You can use the thicker pad to offset that somewhat.

I'd you don't really want stiffer springs why do this?

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I'm not understanding what the question is.

I have a '94 'vert with H&R Sport springs, it works good. I'm using the Koni Yellow adjustable shocks, but I wish I had the Bilsteins now. I never change the setting of the Koni shocks, the rears are difficult to adjust.

Race springs will be a little stiffer than sport springs, but I don't think that the length is going to be different, the rating is different, that's for sure, but the length will be the same, or vary close. The springs on the vert are different than the other cars because of the weight of the roof moves to the trunk when the top is lowered. My ride height looks similar to the guy that commented in Post #2. I'm also running a Style 22 wheel that is the same diameter as he has. Ride height is a function of the springs, not the shocks.