Thread: Cannot access to EWS (M57 standalone swap)

My Cars
    E46

Cannot access to EWS (M57 standalone swap)

Project: M57 swap to E21

From 2000/05 E39 (automatic):
    * engine (M57 3.0d 135kW)
    * DME
    * wiring
    * immo (ews module, key, ring antenna)

Additionally bought:
    * instrument cluster (from 1998 E39)
    * OBD plug (16pin)
    * manual gearbox

Standalone wiring has been done (help with TIS and wiring diagrams). My plan was to change EWS settings (from auto gearbox to manual) to get engine running.

Problem: want to change AUTO->MAN in EWS but cannot access to EWS module with diagnostic (tried INPA, BMW Scanner, Delphi).
    I can access to DME & instrument cluster with diagnostic but not to EWS.
    INPA & BMW Scanner is opening the EWS module page but that's all (showing "unknown" and no version info, cannot read status nor fault codes, BMW Scanner throws smth like "cannot read zcs").

EWS wiring (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e39-530d-lim/rJHVzJf):
    * (K-Bus) pin 13 - instrument cluster, pin 20 (X11176)
    * pin 9 - ground
    * pin 4 - DME, pin 33 (X2414)
    * pin 10,11 - positive (battery/ignition)
    * pin 5,12 - to ring coil (key ring antenna)

OBD wiring (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...x19527/gC5e81C):
    * pin 7 - DME, pin 32 (X2414)
    * pin 8 - instrument cluster, pin 12 (X11176)

Instrument cluster itself also connected (lights going on with ignition).

Relevant(?) fault codes in IKE instrument cluster:
    * 87 [135] Body bus (K-bus)

So, any ideas?
    1) Have I missed something in wiring? OBD -> instrument cluster -> EWS ?
    2) Is this older (98 vs 00) instrument cluster suitable for such connection? (TXD vs K-Line?)
    3) What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by riek; 02-26-2020 at 01:00 PM.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    I’d look into the K-bus issue. The EWS module is on the K-bus.
    https://external-preview.redd.it/XzsF9baOVHl3euJDdqfDY9sdbwb4Tt8BZdH-exINwsI.jpg

This is for E46, but the concept is the same.
    https://www.bmwgm5.com/K-Bus_Troubleshooting.htm

This EWS document may help too.
    http://www.e38.org/EWS.pdf
    Last edited by balidawg; 02-25-2020 at 10:49 PM.

My Cars
    E46
    Thanks for links.

Actually I haven't connected anything else into K-Bus (I have only one direct wire from instrument cluster to EWS). So cannot follow the same pattern (to disconnect other k-bus things).

I had also another idea:
    Connect my EWS module to my friend's E39/E46 and change EWS settings (AUTO->MAN) with BMW Scanner. Then probably should get my machine running (maybe clutch switch signal also needed).
    Is it safe to do it? Any threat to friend's car or to my EWS module (can it mess up his or mine EWS-DME sync)?
    Last edited by riek; 02-26-2020 at 09:37 AM.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by riek View Post
    Connect my EWS module to my friend's E39/E46 and change EWS settings (AUTO->MAN) with BMW Scanner.
    Are you sure EWS has a coding option for the transmission type? I haven’t seen that before.
    Why would EWS care about that?
    Others more familiar with AT-to-MT swaps may know.

My Cars
    E46
    Yes, EWS has this coding option (I have changed it in past on one car as new DME & EWS came from different gearbox). EWS needs that info to check can you start the car (e.g waiting P/N gear from gearbox; for manual gearbox it requires clutch signal in US if not mistaken and as I understood it will sync the value with DME as well).
    Anyways, I got engine running for some time (I mocked gearbox P/N gear signal to EWS) and got engine running. But now having another problem - it is sometimes just cranking and not starting at all. No clear error codes in DME.
    Actually would still like to get access to EWS with diagnostics (to see the live data).

1) Can it be the case that EWS allows starter but blocks injectors? (as if it is not starting then rail pressure actually exists, also LED light flashes if connected to injector plug)
    2) Any ideas how to access to EWS for standalone case?
    (DME, IKE, EWS connected. I have TXD line from OBD to instrument cluster and then K-bus wire from instrument cluster to EWS but still no connection)

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Yes, EWS has this coding option (I have changed it in past on one car as new DME & EWS came from different gearbox). EWS needs that info to check can you start the car (e.g waiting P/N gear from gearbox; for manual gearbox it requires clutch signal in US if not mistaken and as I understood it will sync the value with DME as well).
    Anyways, I got engine running for some time (I mocked gearbox P/N gear signal to EWS) and got engine running. But now having another problem - it is sometimes just cranking and not starting at all. No clear error codes in DME.
    Actually would still like to get access to EWS with diagnostics (to see the live data).

1) Can it be the case that EWS allows starter but blocks injectors? (as if it is not starting then rail pressure actually exists, also LED light flashes if connected to injector plug)
    (DME, IKE, EWS connected. I have TXD line from OBD to instrument cluster and then K-bus wire from instrument cluster to EWS but still no connection)
    What about an EWS delete on your M57 DME?? I haven't done it, and don't know how to do it, but a lot of people seem to do this with E39 and E46 DME's

I do think the wrong signal from EWS will disable the fuel pump, allowing you to crank but not start.

My Cars
    E46
    This is useful PDF: http://e38.org/bussystem.pdf As I understood from it that IKE itself won't make K-Bus communication possible. GM is the Master Controller for K-Bus.
    Today I connected one GM (only powers, ground and k-bus line) and I got access to EWS with diagnostic tools

Also balidawg gave good reading http://www.e38.org/EWS.pdf
    So yes, EWS 3.3 has additionally Drive-away protection (after allowing starter) and seems I have problem with that part. It is randomly starting (but then it probably got inside 200 codes which DME are trying).
    Tried to sync EWS-DME with BMW Scanner but it failed ("EWS-DDE adaptation: fail (E = DME4, DME5)"). I was able to sync EWS-DME with INPA, but still car not starting (cranks starter but won't start - seems ews drive-away protection).

More screenshots: http://fotoalbum.ee/photos/wtfff/sets/1484913

* Why DME says next to ISN and PW "ERROR_ECU_REJECTED"?
    * Why EWS live data shows at he the one moment Key is all OK and then another moment Key status red (but allows to crank)? Also INPA also flashing keys (1, 128). I have only one key next to antenna ring.

My Cars
    e36
    hello, were you able to read your isn? I need to access ews too, is ike and gm enough on stand alone swap?

My Cars
    E46
    I got it solved. The randomly not starting issue was caused by crank sensor After replacement car starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonstif View Post
    hello, were you able to read your isn? I need to access ews too, is ike and gm enough on stand alone swap?
    So all was fine with EWS (ISN = ERROR_ECU_REJECTED is fine for this EWS). Yes, IKE & GM are enough to access to EWS with diagnostics.

My Cars
    e36
    Successfully synced dme and ews, i wonder if there is a way to read isn for emulator. Btw thanks for the information.

100063727_324732051844700_4769892745093316608_n.jpg
    Last edited by nonstif; 05-29-2020 at 02:39 PM.

My Cars
    E46 330d e21 330d
    Hi riek doing also the same swap can i have more info for the driveline you use
    Do the stock e21 diff handled m57 torque ? Thanks

My Cars
    E46
    Chan330d, it was stock diff there but this car was sold and not tested properly on the track - so don't have information will it last. I assume not, better to upgrade already when building the car.