Thread: Is $11k a good price for this S54 Swapped 1998 M3?

My Cars
    1998 M3

Is $11k a good price for this S54 Swapped 1998 M3?

hi guys I am a college kid who just came across this 1998 M3 with a s54 swapped done at a shop (owner has paperwork)
    The owner states he has ALL paperwork since the car was brand new.
    80k on the engine, 130k on the body

-will an E36 M3 be a somewhat reliable daily driver? (I work on my car, but I cant deal with a new problem everyday)
    -how reliable is the s54 engine itself?
    -what to look for in the maintenance history?
    -what to look for on an used e36 m3?
    -is this a good price for the car?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1698356723639176/

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Many early S54s had bearing issues. I would want a Blackstone oil exam on any early S54. Ask him for proof as to what the S54 came out of.
    Selling a S54 swapped E36 and no pics of the S54. Weird
    what tranny and driveshaft?
    Look for all the usual E36 rot out issues.
    At 130k is should have or will need a full suspension rebuild, check for rear sub tearing (especially with the S54)
    Guy here in MD had a nice S54 swapped E36 coupe. I think he went down to 8.5 before selling.... don't remember all the details. He may chime in.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    There are a huge amount of variables that can go into this swap. So either it's an amazing deal or a turd that will cost twice that to do it right the first time.

A roached out S54 is like $2k and a roached out E36M can be had for $6k. If you were to try and do the swap on the cheap, you might be able to get away with doing the swap alone for $3k. That puts you at about $11k. Let's pretend the car you're interested in is perfectly sorted, then sweet. Just keep in mind that when you buy a used car, you also buy all of its problems.

EDIT: I looked at the post. Might be legit, take it to a shop that does S54 swaps (not the shop the seller claims did the swap) and ask them to look it over. Do a compression test AND a leakdown (don't let the lazy shop doing the PPI talk you into only doing one) then get a PPI done on it.

S54 rod bearings are cheap and easy to do, don't let that scare you.
    Last edited by golgo13; 02-25-2020 at 07:26 PM.

HELL NO !!!!!Come to jersey and get it done and I will throw in a wife for you!!LMAO

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    There are M3s in that price range that are not swapped. True, you'd get more power with the s54 engine, but the S52 has plenty of power. Any older car will come with enough maintenance to keep you busy, a swap might come with more. The swap could be anything from well-done to horrible. If you are willing to do all the checking-out recommended here, then do so and then decide. If not, don't buy it.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    That car looks like it has had a hard life.

I had a 350 swapped S10 truck when I first started college, it sucked. I broke down in the middle of a busy 4 way intersection on campus and caused a mess of a traffic jam (I did the swap at 18, shocker). I bought a cheap Civic DX after that and drove it the next 4 years.

Moral of the story, you don't want a daily driver project car in college.
    CBlock

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChezJ View Post
    hi guys I am a college kid who just came across this 1998 M3 with a s54 swapped done at a shop (owner has paperwork)
    The owner states he has ALL paperwork since the car was brand new.
    80k on the engine, 130k on the body

-will an E36 M3 be a somewhat reliable daily driver? (I work on my car, but I cant deal with a new problem everyday)
    -how reliable is the s54 engine itself?
    -what to look for in the maintenance history?
    -what to look for on an used e36 m3?
    -is this a good price for the car?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1698356723639176/
    I was interested in that car while it was for sale on Craigslist a while ago and talked to the guy allot. I personally feel like it's a good deal. Boost Logic did the swap and he always does rod bearings as a preventative maintenance. The shop has done many s54 swaps and know what they are doing. AC works which is a huge bonus in Texas! It's retained the stock 5 speed.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    here’s a picture of the engine if anyone wanted to see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    The S54 is one of the best designed naturally aspirated engines. If someone attaches this kind of air filter that sucks in hot engine bay air to such an engine, it shows they either don't care about the engines performance, or they don't know it any better. For me personally, i wouldn't want to buy such a special car from such a person.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to E36 M3 forum from E36 Forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    are slow.
    I owned an e36 M3 during college.

Let me tell you some hard truths I wish I had someone tell me at 18:

1) Cars don't matter, they just look nice and take you from A to B.
    2) Pay for college in cash, don't take out a loan. Not your parents, pay for it yourself. It's the best gift you can give yourself. The struggle will make you a better person. If you can't afford it, go to a cheaper school. Nobody cares where you went to school, they care that you finished.
    3) Don't spend money you don't have to impress people you don't like.
    4) If you can't buy it twice with cash, you can't afford it (outside of your home).

Buy a cheap Civic.
    Pay for college in cash.

Outside of that, I would pass on this E36 with a S54 swap. It's an old car with an old complex engine. There isn't a month that goes by with me doing something to my M3 or M4. I have a beater Civic as well with just over 200k on it that I've had for nearly 10 years, and it only gets oil changes, and transmission fluid changes (Honda fluid). Best car I've ever owned. I don't care where it's parked, I don't care if someone bumps into it, almost 40mpg, tires are cheap, brakes are cheap. Always my first date car, after that she can ride in the M4.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by Hova; 03-03-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Agreed on buying the old civic/camry and that a 20 year old M3 with a different engine is definitely not a DD that can be counted on to be in any way reliable.

Financial stuff is your opinion...don't agree that burning your youth working a crap job to pay for school when you're gonna make magnitudes more once you graduate is some kind of character building journey. Loans are are not the devils fingers and student loan interest is deductible for many.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    That car will need constant attention and money.

Want something kinda fun, get a Civic Si, Mazda 3. If you got more money and want something newer Fiesta or Focus ST, Fiat 500 Abarth for something quirky but cool.

That said, kinda depends on your college situation. If you live at home and have time/flexibility to work on your car and you are good at fixing things, or have another way to get to classes... well an S54 E36 sounds like exactly the stupid/crazy/fun thing that many of us car people would do.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    I owned an e36 M3 during college.

1) Cars don't matter, they just look nice and take you from A to B.
    2) Pay for college in cash, don't take out a loan. Not your parents, pay for it yourself. It's the best gift you can give yourself. The struggle will make you a better person. If you can't afford it, go to a cheaper school. Nobody cares where you went to school, they care that you finished.
    3) Don't spend money you don't have to impress people you don't like.
    4) If you can't buy it twice with cash, you can't afford it (outside of your home).

Buy a cheap Civic.
    Pay for college in cash.

Outside of that, I would pass on this E36 with a S54 swap. It's an old car with an old complex engine. There isn't a month that goes by with me doing something to my M3 or M4. I have a beater Civic as well with just over 200k on it that I've had for nearly 10 years, and it only gets oil changes, and transmission fluid changes (Honda fluid). Best car I've ever owned. I don't care where it's parked, I don't care if someone bumps into it, almost 40mpg, tires are cheap, brakes are cheap. Always my first date car, after that she can ride in the M4.

Best of luck.

This is great advice that I wish I could go back and tell myself when I was in college.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Well, he either bought it or he didn't - the car pant available anymore.

You gotta wonder when a car like this is selling for less than your average stock car.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    love the hot air intake... thats costing a few ponies, we did tests on that style of intake and saw IAT's north of 135*F.. timing being pulled...

love my S54 E36
    Last edited by TH3 Shifty; 03-07-2020 at 02:41 AM.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL