Thread: why bmw has not yet removed the manual gearbox in the american market?

My Cars
    no car

Question why bmw has not yet removed the manual gearbox in the american market?

sorry for the stupid question why bmw still sells its models with a manual gearbox in the american market when a german competitor like audi has already stopped selling its manual gearbox models in the american market since 2020?!

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    So BMW can sell a car to a previous Audi manual trans devotee?

My Cars
    no car
    it sounds strange but I think BMW respects its fans, Audi probably produces more for the general consumer than for the fan

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    I believe there is no longer a manual option on any car except the M models.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    no car
    Yes, right , it is unfortunate that of the German three BMW only remained at the manual transmission
    Last edited by Yegor; 02-25-2020 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    2016 BMW 328i
    VW offers manual transmission at least on the Jetta GLI and Golf GTI models.

My Cars
    no car
    vw is not reliable car.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    A few buyers still want the lower performing manual trans because it gives them something to do while driving, makes them work harder to go fast (which they think makes them more of a purist or enthusiast) or is cheaper or more reliable. I have had manuals for 35 years because they were higher performing, got better fuel economy, cheaper and more reliable. Today only 2 of those 4 things are true. My next car will be auto or dct/pdk.

It is great BMW still has this option for those who want it. Porsche still has manuals in a few cars. BMW probably does not want to lose sales by not having a competitive offering or two.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 02-26-2020 at 07:49 AM.

My Cars
    M235i
    I used to be a hardcore manual owner, all 14 of my previous cars were stick, however, today's autos can shift faster and smoother while yielding better MPGs so the 235 is my first auto car and I love it.

I hate to see the manual going extinct but progress is progress.
    Past: E36M3
    Current: M235xi 12.02 @ 115

My Cars
    no car
    honestly, apart from the manual transmission, I don’t like any gearboxes. Therefore, it is so important for me and the more so I’m young and I'm 18

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Well, without gearboxes, we'd get to bump start our cars at every stop light! It would be a workout at least...
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    if cars are just an appliance to you, then the gearbox is just an annoyance. if, however, cars are the END, not the MEANS, then there is huge satisfaction in managing the complexities of operating them smoothly and correctly....by yourself. no nannies managing traction, braking, shifting or rev matching. doing that all personally is what driving(as opposed to being driven) is all about.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    if cars are just an appliance to you, then the gearbox is just an annoyance. if, however, cars are the END, not the MEANS, then there is huge satisfaction in managing the complexities of operating them smoothly and correctly....by yourself. no nannies managing traction, braking, shifting or rev matching. doing that all personally is what driving(as opposed to being driven) is all about.
    When your battery won't kick the engine over, but a slight incline gets you bump started, you really appreciate your manual tranny skills.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    You can pry the shifter out of my cold dead hand.
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 02-28-2020 at 06:35 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Manual is going the way of the dinosaur. I don't like it but am not in the market for a new car either.
    BMW will build what sells, until it doesn't.
    I don't think Ferrari sells a manual gearbox car any longer.
    No need for skill to drive one so everyone sounds like a pro race car driver when downshifting, except they usually aren't braking hard enough to make it necessary.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    As long as a manual gearbox is offered until my death, I'm fine with everyone preferring automatic.

Their loss-not mine.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Manual is going the way of the dinosaur. I don't like it but am not in the market for a new car either.
    BMW will build what sells, until it doesn't.
    I don't think Ferrari sells a manual gearbox car any longer.
    No need for skill to drive one so everyone sounds like a pro race car driver when downshifting, except they usually aren't braking hard enough to make it necessary.
    We need to be thankful that the masses are buying A/T Bimmers at such a profitable margin, that models like we prefer are considered and built ,maybe at a $ loss.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Bob, you are likely correct. BMW has to run each and every engine/transmission combo sold in America through EPA emissions testing, which I bet ain’t cheep. So for us 5%ers BMW likely looses money in that respect.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    We need to be thankful that the masses are buying A/T Bimmers at such a profitable margin, that models like we prefer are considered and built ,maybe at a $ loss.
    Soon we'll be thankful to have a steering wheel, much less a gear shift lever.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue