My Cars
    2010 X5 35D

Another sad X35d Story...

So my X5 35d (2010 with 100k miles) has joined the list of sad ones. After some advice as I try and work out next steps.

The car is driving well, power is good. Idle is stable, fuel mileage ok. However the engine light is on. My local BMW Indy (ex BMW Master Tech) started by changing out the Active tank and controller, reset the computer but 50 mies later the light came back.

He's now saying the codes show incorrect reading on the NOX sensors. He's wanting to change both sensors at around $1100. After that I'm assuming it's a new cat if not.

My questions are:
    1. Anyone got experience of changing these sensors and whether that actually might work. Anyone got experience of second hand or aftermarket sensors.
    2. I know California emissions laws are crazy but anyone tried an OEM cat? The BMW ones are crazy expensive.

My Cars
    There are warranty extensions on the active tank, and the NOx sensors. Did you pay him for those repairs?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2010 X5 35D
    Yes fortunately I’m just beyond the 10 year mark. By a couple of months

My Cars
    Too bad.

Without seeing the fault codes myself, if you've got SCR efficiency faults, then yes, the NOx sensors would be my next step.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2010 X5 35D
    Another question popped in to my head. The car is currently registered in Florida, but I need to register it to use in California. So I need to put an expensive California cat on or can I put a 47 state one on? If I do will it pass smog?

My Cars
    You need to repair the vehicle properly, with OEM parts, not crappy aftermarket parts. BMW emissions systems, especially on the diesels, are super sensitive, and I wouldn't waste money on cheap parts that probably won't work.

Fix it right, and fix it once.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Your car is legal in California, diesels are tough because theres not a lot of them out there and the engine systems a way more complicated the than the gas engine, out of all the cars we work on I think we have only 2-3 diesal BMW's