Thread: need opinion on rear bushings

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible

need opinion on rear bushings

I have started taking the rear apart to put new cv axles and spring perch, etc. I noticed that the trailing arm bushings look cracked. However, i have heard or felt anything out of the ordinary. Going back and forth on whether to replace them and/or the subframe bushings. All of the dyi out there on how to change these either non vert or they remove the entire rear end out.

Is it possible to change these without removing the rear end? I ask because i am doubting my ability to remove the entire rear end since i cannot find anything for the vert. There seems to be differences.

Also for a daily driver, what bushings are recommended? oem rubber or poly? I already have PowerFlex control arm bushings.
    1987 BMW 325i Convertible

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Check this out

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ushing-puller/

Why are you replacing cv axels? They are pretty bullet proof if the boots have never been compromised, if they aren’t exhibiting any issues then you can get new boots for them, take the boots off the old ones, clean out all the old grease, re-grease and put the new boots on. That’s what I did for mine and they’ve been great. After market replacements might be of lesser quality than the originals.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    I don't know about verts but when my son tore his rear subframe up and we had to swap it, I went with the softer poly bushings for all the back end. it doesn't sound or feel any different then our other e30 even though these are supposed to be stiffer.

it wasn't as bad as its made to sound, taking out the subframe and stuff. I used a floor jack and just unbolted it all and lowered it on the floor jack and pulled it out from the back. the large bushing we had to melt out but everything else, even the wheel bearings, were not terrible
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    did you use 85a bushings? which ones did you use?

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    Check this out

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ushing-puller/

Why are you replacing cv axels? They are pretty bullet proof if the boots have never been compromised, if they aren’t exhibiting any issues then you can get new boots for them, take the boots off the old ones, clean out all the old grease, re-grease and put the new boots on. That’s what I did for mine and they’ve been great. After market replacements might be of lesser quality than the originals.
    Because they are needed. Like everything else on this car when i got it, it was neglected. I am not going to fault my parents though... Dad was just getting too old to do anything with them. I am going to keep the originals though... and rebuild them when i have time.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    I don't know which is the lesser hardness for the polys but tis wasn't race spec, it was the street spec
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    apparently the powerflex purple are 80a... basically maginally harder than rubber. Looks like i will just get those. Been reading other threads where a lot of people are happy with them.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    ya, you don't even know its not rubber. they are not rough or noisy.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    that was my worry... i just dont want to have to take this apart again for a long time.

Thanks

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    Ordered the Powerflex bushings... damn those are expensive... but the ease of install is REALLY appealing.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    the install was not the hard part, its the removal of the old ones that was work. but, it is nice to not have to ever worry about doing it again in this life time
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    yea... i am thinking i will have a fight... but had good luck so far with the lower control arm ones so far. I hope it is worth the work.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    the install was not the hard part, its the removal of the old ones that was work. but, it is nice to not have to ever worry about doing it again in this life time
    Removal and install is pretty easy with the right tool.
    And the right tool is only about $30 from AKG.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    link?

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    got the subframe out... now just trying to get the subframe and trailing arm bushings out
    ... any tips?

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    Sawzall or mapp gas torch?
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    used propane torch.... worked incredibly well... just took a while. Tried to drill one out and hacksaw... didnt work well.. heat did though.

thanks.

Jeremy Clarkson