Thread: Help changing out shift handle Please

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30

Help changing out shift handle Please

I was able to find and purchase a new leather shift handle for my 735 Auto. About 15 years ago mine started to tear up and I had my mechanic replace it with a burl wood one that I had found online. He just swapped over the pull rod and it installed fine. Now I'm lost here. I got the leather shift knob with the old pull rod attached. I wanted to use my new pull rod that I ordered from BMW a few weeks ago. Twisting and turning the pull rod I finally had it fall out. I can see that there is a hole on top that probably attaches to the metal that goes up and down when you squeeze the plastic button to shift into park etc. I can not figure out how to get the new pull rod on to the new shift handle. Am I missing a trick here? Maybe a half push on the button, a twist or something. I just can't get it. Can somebody explain this to me like I'm a sixth grader. Playing with this thing, I'm beginning to feel like one. I have the correct allen key for the screw and I guess all I do is remove the screw from the old one on the car and pull up. Then to reinstall the new one just put the pull rod in and put the hex screw back in place. Looks like an easy thing, but I'm fiddling around with it for so long, I thought you guys could help. Thanks
    Jeff
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    go to my website, click on the left fixes, click fixes body, there is a pdf from Ralf called: How to remove/repair the gear selector handle lots of great photos

Take Needle Nose Pliers and insert them to pull on the pin that the Lock Release Knob comes out as far as possible, now you should have enough space to insert the white plastic rod and attach it to the pin. Then push the lock release knob in that the white rod does not fall out again, with knob pushed in insert the white rod into the metal of the shift lever, once the new knob is fully inserted, you can release the lock knob.
    Last edited by shogun; 02-23-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    go to my website, click on the left fixes, click fixes body, there is a pdf from Ralf called: How to remove/repair the gear selector handle lots of great photos

Take Needle Nose Pliers and insert them to pull on the pin that the Lock Release Knob comes out as far as possible, now you should have enough space to insert the white plastic rod and attach it to the pin. Then push the lock release knob in that the white rod does not fall out again, with knob pushed in insert the white rod into the metal of the shift leaver, once the new know is fully inserted, you can release the lock knob.
    Thank you. That worked like a charm. Now I have another problem that you probably have a trick for. I bring the shift handle all the way down put the pull rod and leather handle all the way in and let go of the plastic button. Everything shifts as it should. Stops from going into reverse unless the button is pushed etc. All is working, but...........I can't seem to get the hex nut to catch. It just spins and spins. I know it's supposed to screw into the metal part of the shifter. I see the hole, but is there a certain way to line it up? Spent a half hour playing but just can't get that screw to catch. Thanks again.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    so the most difficult part you did. As for the hex nut, that has to be aligned very correct. Use first a small nail or something sharp and thin enough which goes thru the hole of the handle and into the thread hole of the steel shift bar, align properly, pull out the nail, insert the hex nut into the handle and push it thru till it gets to the thread and then screw in. Needs a bit of patience.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    so the most difficult part you did. As for the hex nut, that has to be aligned very correct. Use first a small nail or something sharp and thin enough which goes thru the hole of the handle and into the thread hole of the steel shift bar, align properly, pull out the nail, insert the hex nut into the handle and push it thru till it gets to the thread and then screw in. Needs a bit of patience.
    I thank you sir. Patience it was. I found a tiniest Phillips jewelry size screwdriver. Like a nail. Again installed the pull rod with the new leather shift handle. Made sure before I pushed everything down, the screwdriver would fit through the hole in the handle and at least a little of the hole in the metal with the threads. Could not find it at first but with the little screwdriver in I pulled up on the handle about 1/16 of an inch, up and down, up and down until I heard a click. The end of the screwdriver hitting the hole. Grabbed everything tight so nothing moved, took out the screwdriver, placed the hex nut in the handle, pushed it through the handle until it stopped, hoping it was right at the threads. It was. Tightened it up well and job done. I know this sounds like a big nothing, but if you have no idea how this thing is done, you can get lost in it. Thanks again Erich. I love when these things work out. The leather shift handle really looks like new. I'm glad I passed on so many and then came across this one.
    Jeff