Thread: Any hints or easy way to get to that hose at bottom of expansion tank?

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster

Any hints or easy way to get to that hose at bottom of expansion tank?

Any hints or easy way to get to that hose at bottom of expansion tank? The nipple seems hidden and hard to reach. I can not remove my shroud till I remove that hose.

My Cars
    z3
    Remove it on the other side, it goes just a little under the intake manifold.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Remove it on the other side, it goes just a little under the intake manifold.
    I was wondering about that. Okay I will give that a shot. Thanks. Probably should have ordered that hose as well. Feel like I ordered half my car already.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Okay I got the hose off the manifold. I hate to keep bothering you folks but it has 2 black plastic clips holding the line in place. Is there a way to release them without breaking them?

My Cars
    z3
    Remove the fan shroud from the radiator and you should be able to slide the hose up and out of the clips

- - - Updated - - -

You may find it easier to remove the radiator/fan shroud/expansion tank as a full assembly then disassemble when out of the car.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Remove the fan shroud from the radiator and you should be able to slide the hose up and out of the clips

- - - Updated - - -

You may find it easier to remove the radiator/fan shroud/expansion tank as a full assembly then disassemble when out of the car.
    I'm not removing the radiator. Only the shroud. Can those black clips be reused? Are you saying I should just pull the hose through them while they stay intact?

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Bimmer Breaker thanks for all your help. The clips came loose. Just had to play with them to figure them out.

Now all I need is a 8mm hex to loosen and remove the 2 belts. Then pull pump and thermostat. Parts wont be here for a week so I have plenty of time.

I think the whole job will end up costing me around $260. That is everything new except the radiator.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Use two (2) of the 6mm bolts from the t/stat in the threaded bosses on the w/pump to push it out of the timing chain cover.

Before you ask....

EDIT: you'd just as soon remove the radiator, the extra room will be welcome when working on pump and t/stat.
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 02-22-2020 at 04:56 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Use two (2) of the 6mm bolts from the t/stat in the threaded bosses on the w/pump to push it out of the timing chain cover.

Before you ask....

EDIT: you'd just as soon remove the radiator, the extra room will be welcome when working on pump and t/stat.
    Thanks Randy. I will do that. I removed the fan and shroud. I will not be changing the radiator but I'm changing everything else. I feel I have plenty of room already to get the thermostat housing and water pump.
    When you guys replace your water pumps and thermostat housings do you use any sealant or gasket maker? I know they comes with seals.
    Last edited by Kram71; 02-22-2020 at 05:12 PM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    Thanks Randy. I will do that. I removed the fan and shroud. I will not be changing the radiator but I'm changing everything else. I feel I have plenty of room already to get the thermostat housing and water pump.
    When you guys replace your water pumps and thermostat housings do you use any sealant or gasket maker? I know they comes with seals.
    They're "profile gaskets" which is to say O-rings. NEVER install an O-ring dry! I use Parker O-ring lube, but a tin smear of light grease (like white lithium) will do. Even clean engine-oil; you'll only need a few drops.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    They're "profile gaskets" which is to say O-rings. NEVER install an O-ring dry! I use Parker O-ring lube, but a tin smear of light grease (like white lithium) will do. Even clean engine-oil; you'll only need a few drops.
    Hi Randy. Thanks for letting me know. I will grease up the O-rings as you suggest. Is that okay by itself? Or does the waterpump and thermostat need any other sealer or gasket maker as well?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    No sealant required.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    No sealant required.
    Thank you. Got to the water pump today. That shaft was flopping around. Randy you have been awesome over the years.

My Cars
    z3
    Ive always used a little undiluted coolant to lube cooling system o-rings. Never gave it much thought but now im not sure if thats acceptable... Maybe ilk pick up some o-ring grease...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Just removed thermostat housing and waterpump. Both came out easy. May have been done previously. Impeller looked intact but shaft had major wobbles. I guess that might be a bearing failure? Just have to wait for replacement parts to arrive. Hopefully by Friday.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Do you guys use any RTV sealant when putting your thermostat housing on?