Thread: E90 35d 2011 Limp Mode Issues Ongoing for 1 Year, Please Advise.

My Cars
    2011 E90 335d

E90 35d 2011 Limp Mode Issues Ongoing for 1 Year, Please Advise.

So I own the E90 335d which over the last year has given me a fit. It all began over a year ago on 1/29/19 the 1st time I brought my car into the shop. The problem was the car had twice gone into limp mode and cut the power to the engine. After a stopping, turning the car off & on it would reset and we'd be on our way. First two times I was on I95 doing just under 80mph. I could feel the engine loosing throttle power and then it hit me with the engine malfunction warning. So I ask these questions in preface to what I am about to explain; Is the order of work done the correct order to fix my problem? And are the prices fair prices? And is this last step necessary?

When the first trip to the shop took place one year ago the car had 130k miles, one previous owner who took immaculate care and upkeep of the car, and except for random occurrences it has had "premium" (name brand) diesel used. The car returned a multitude of diagnostics errors. First came back that there were 2 recalls, a positive battery cable and blower motor wiring, both of which included multiple components replaced. (i still have the statement with specific parts/costs if curious)

Then came the "not free" diagnostics error. There was an error on the intake manifold gaskets being clogged. Upon removal they said there was carbon build up that needed to be addressed on both the engine and the manifold. After walnut washing the engine they determined the manifold was un-cleanable and needed replacing. So in all they walnut blasted, replaced the intake manifold and cleared fuel injector deposits. But these fixes would cure my problems.... So labor at $2348, parts $1671, hazardous material charge $201 + tax i was out the door at a staggering $4337. After voicing my concerns they quickly dropped the price to $3500. Mind you this whole process took one month so my car came out of the shop 2/28/19.

WITHIN two months the car was having the same issue only this time happening at low speed/ low rpm. Very frustrated i returned to the shop and asked what seemed to be the problem? After another diagnostics reading the car came back more intake errors and that both exhaust gas NOX sensors needed to be replaced. Then they told me that they checked the fuel injectors and rechecked manifold for clogs and when none were found, they reprogrammed the DDE for the fuel injector adaptation. This coupled with the new NOX sensors was sure to fix my problems for an additional $1744. Again I let the service center know that I felt this was an outrageous price for something that just "was fixed." They agreed to charge me $300 and assured me this would cure the problem. So on 4/29/19 I had my car fixed for the second time, back in my possession. And wouldn't you know it the service engine light was back on within 2 weeks. The car drove fine, gas consumption was normal, power was seemingly there, but never really had all it's pop. But all in all no problems.

Then on 1/23/2020 it happened again, the car went into limp mode on I95!! I was convinced it was a fluke from bad diesel I had to put in on an out of town trip. I would refill the car back home with known trusted quality diesel and it would be happy again. That is just what I did and it felt as though the car was feeling better, not as sluggish through the low gears, and was not as rough starting up. Nope, wrong the 1st week of February it happened again twice in the same week. Now very frustrated with the service center I brought the car back in. Diagnostics, and of course all new errors! Fuel injectors 1,4,and 6 were misfiring. They quoted me almost $800 per/injector. I went ahead and bought 3 brand new ones from Bosch for a total of $900. They charged me $600 labor to put them in, only to tell me that the car still was not driving great and after re-diagnosing it came back I would need new glow plugs and glow plug controller that is going to cost me $1949. They believe that this error is leading to two secondary errors, the EGR valve needs replacing ($703) and the electronic throttle actuator needs to be replaced ($927). But if the glow plugs get done, the EGR and Elec. throttle actuator problems will go away...

So again my questions; Is the order they went in to do all this work the correct order? Could they have just started with the EGR and solved the problem? Is this glow plug problem really the problem? SIDE NOTE I live in Savannah GA. We are experiencing our coldest day probably for the whole year and it was 48 degrees Fahrenheit. My car stays overnight in a garage that never gets below about 60 degrees Fahrenheit, so do glow plugs really make a difference when I am not dealing with true cold starts? Have I been just taken to the cleaners?

Thanks for any advice!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I had the x5 diesel in the shop an early one cant remember the year now this had particulate filter faults we ran tests on Ista it automatically raised the idle for period of time ran the test every thing is ok' but the numbers are still hight , on a whim the tech decides to check the actuall coolant temp when the engine is hot, turns out the temp is only 160 degrees which is way to low, even while running the test on Ista, Ista never came back and said operating temp to low, it just ran the test. The repair was to replace the thermostat , it was plastic with the metal guts, one of the plastic arms that holds the part together had broke and it was just floating around in there plus ther thermostat had no electrical connector on it, it was completely manual. We replaced the stat drove the car and the numbers started to come down. I only mention this story because had the tech not check the actual coolant temp who knows how long we would have been chasing our tails and stupid Ista didn't report on it while running the tests, in you case I don't know if coolant temp would have any bearing on what's been happening. But with repeated visits they need to give you some kind of deals, I mean they are the ones giving you the recommendations, if this is the dealer, talk to the service manager only from now on, the service advisor has no power to make decisions

My Cars
    318i 1991 1986 325es

Quote Originally Posted by kpv335d View Post
    So I own the E90 335d which over the last year has given me a fit. It all began over a year ago on 1/29/19 the 1st time I brought my car into the shop. The problem was the car had twice gone into limp mode and cut the power to the engine. After a stopping, turning the car off & on it would reset and we'd be on our way. First two times I was on I95 doing just under 80mph. I could feel the engine loosing throttle power and then it hit me with the engine malfunction warning. So I ask these questions in preface to what I am about to explain; Is the order of work done the correct order to fix my problem? And are the prices fair prices? And is this last step necessary?

When the first trip to the shop took place one year ago the car had 130k miles, one previous owner who took immaculate care and upkeep of the car, and except for random occurrences it has had "premium" (name brand) diesel used. The car returned a multitude of diagnostics errors. First came back that there were 2 recalls, a positive battery cable and blower motor wiring, both of which included multiple components replaced. (i still have the statement with specific parts/costs if curious)

Then came the "not free" diagnostics error. There was an error on the intake manifold gaskets being clogged. Upon removal they said there was carbon build up that needed to be addressed on both the engine and the manifold. After walnut washing the engine they determined the manifold was un-cleanable and needed replacing. So in all they walnut blasted, replaced the intake manifold and cleared fuel injector deposits. But these fixes would cure my problems.... So labor at $2348, parts $1671, hazardous material charge $201 + tax i was out the door at a staggering $4337. After voicing my concerns they quickly dropped the price to $3500. Mind you this whole process took one month so my car came out of the shop 2/28/19.

WITHIN two months the car was having the same issue only this time happening at low speed/ low rpm. Very frustrated i returned to the shop and asked what seemed to be the problem? After another diagnostics reading the car came back more intake errors and that both exhaust gas NOX sensors needed to be replaced. Then they told me that they checked the fuel injectors and rechecked manifold for clogs and when none were found, they reprogrammed the DDE for the fuel injector adaptation. This coupled with the new NOX sensors was sure to fix my problems for an additional $1744. Again I let the service center know that I felt this was an outrageous price for something that just "was fixed." They agreed to charge me $300 and assured me this would cure the problem. So on 4/29/19 I had my car fixed for the second time, back in my possession. And wouldn't you know it the service engine light was back on within 2 weeks. The car drove fine, gas consumption was normal, power was seemingly there, but never really had all it's pop. But all in all no problems.

Then on 1/23/2020 it happened again, the car went into limp mode on I95!! I was convinced it was a fluke from bad diesel I had to put in on an out of town trip. I would refill the car back home with known trusted quality diesel and it would be happy again. That is just what I did and it felt as though the car was feeling better, not as sluggish through the low gears, and was not as rough starting up. Nope, wrong the 1st week of February it happened again twice in the same week. Now very frustrated with the service center I brought the car back in. Diagnostics, and of course all new errors! Fuel injectors 1,4,and 6 were misfiring. They quoted me almost $800 per/injector. I went ahead and bought 3 brand new ones from Bosch for a total of $900. They charged me $600 labor to put them in, only to tell me that the car still was not driving great and after re-diagnosing it came back I would need new glow plugs and glow plug controller that is going to cost me $1949. They believe that this error is leading to two secondary errors, the EGR valve needs replacing ($703) and the electronic throttle actuator needs to be replaced ($927). But if the glow plugs get done, the EGR and Elec. throttle actuator problems will go away...

So again my questions; Is the order they went in to do all this work the correct order? Could they have just started with the EGR and solved the problem? Is this glow plug problem really the problem? SIDE NOTE I live in Savannah GA. We are experiencing our coldest day probably for the whole year and it was 48 degrees Fahrenheit. My car stays overnight in a garage that never gets below about 60 degrees Fahrenheit, so do glow plugs really make a difference when I am not dealing with true cold starts? Have I been just taken to the cleaners?

Thanks for any advice!

So, You had the same problems I had but, mine was with a 335D. It was throwing codes for cylinder 2&4 rough controller codes. I took the manifold off myself to check it all out just to see that it was plum full of Regended exhaust soot. So I replaced both injectors and since I myself didn't have the money for walnut blasting, set the intake in a barrel full of water and simple green. I let that sit for two days. So my advice to you is to delete the car, as trash burning, redneck it sounds, I did this and save myself from much more problems such as a cracked egr or dpf that is fubared due to being clogged. Its much cheaper to delete the car and get a eco tune that will blow minimal smoke and sometimes none at all, you will also have more power and a better fuel economy. In all my adventures of the emissions bs, I spent around 10,000 trying to fix the car due to def temp gauge issues and pumps failing and the def injectors all the way up to needing walnut blasting or a new injector due to it getting clogged. If you need any help I would be happy to help or any questions let me know! They removed the forum so bimmerpost has the best diesel forum as well just everyone is opinionated heavily! Also the glowplug module fails due to oil getting on it from intake being clogged so not really. It helps to have them anyway, very simple to replace.
    Last edited by Boyd122; 03-03-2020 at 09:17 AM.