Thread: E36 M3 - Largest Rotor With Stock wheels

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 M3 Turbo

Thumbs up E36 M3 - Largest Rotor With Stock wheels

In drastic need of brakes.

Looking to run the largest possible rotor with the stock 17" wheels. Square setup, 8.5's all around.

What is the largest rotor size that I can run with the stock wheels?

Thanks for your help.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to E36 M3 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You will be limited to stock size 13” rotors and will probably have to use spacers to provide clearance for BBK 4 piston calipers. Unless your car is heavily modded or you are a serious tracker, you don’t need more brake than stock. You just need good fluid, good lines, good pads, and a properly functioning brake system.

For years, I ran stock M3 brakes with 400-600 rwhp, street driving only. I now use front and rear Stoptech 4 piston with 13” 332mm 2 piece rotors. The car stops no better in my street driving but the brakes look cool. Maybe if I did 10
    100-0 stops in a row, stock brakes would fade and the BBK would not. But I can’t do that in street driving.

I did use brass guide bushings when running stock calipers and rotors and they help a little. I also use them on my E90M3. Still, I’d say the Stoptech fixed 4 piston do feel a little better even if they don’t stop any better.

With some aftermarket 17” wheels you can go up to 355mm rotors, but may still need spacers.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    You're gonna be really limited on stock wheels. If you care enough about performance to shell out for a BBK, may as well get a new set of lighter wheels with more clearance as well. Pretty sure the 17x9 ET42 Apex ARC-8's I have will accommodate 355mm BBK's, and shouldn't need any spacers for caliper clearance (just for strut clearance up front if you have wide tires). Anyways, new wheels/tires will be a fraction of what a quality front/rear BBK setup will run. If it were me I'd much rather spend a bit extra for better wheels and a 355mm kit than settle for a 20mm+ smaller rotor with stock wheels.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 02-20-2020 at 11:41 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    What is the goal with increasing the rotor size?

Are you fading the brakes with track work? Or have your brakes simply worn out and you're looking to make an upgrade while you replace them.

If you're just doing street driving, or even track work, usually the answer is not to increase the rotor size, unless you've already exhausted all the basic options. If you're fading on the track, you probably need a track specific pad.

Basics you should cover:
    Buy stock size quality rotor blanks (brembo, zimmerman, centric aka stoptech).
    Choose a quality pad, many pads to choose from. I run PFC-Z pads, you can buy from Bimmerworld.
    Good quality fluid, I think I went with Redline.

Below is optional, depending on condition of your current brakes and mileage.
    Caliper rebuild
    New brake lines, you can go OEM or some quality braided from someone like Bimmerworld.

Oh and maybe some stickier tires will help too
    Last edited by propcar; 02-21-2020 at 09:39 AM.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    You will be limited to stock size 13” rotors and will probably have to use spacers to provide clearance for BBK 4 piston calipers. Unless your car is heavily modded or you are a serious tracker, you don’t need more brake than stock. You just need good fluid, good lines, good pads, and a properly functioning brake system.

For years, I ran stock M3 brakes with 400-600 rwhp, street driving only. I now use front and rear Stoptech 4 piston with 13” 332mm 2 piece rotors. The car stops no better in my street driving but the brakes look cool. Maybe if I did 10
    100-0 stops in a row, stock brakes would fade and the BBK would not. But I can’t do that in street driving.

I did use brass guide bushings when running stock calipers and rotors and they help a little. I also use them on my E90M3. Still, I’d say the Stoptech fixed 4 piston do feel a little better even if they don’t stop any better.

With some aftermarket 17” wheels you can go up to 355mm rotors, but may still need spacers.
    I've realized the 17's are the limiting factor. I am looking for more bite than stock and the looks too . The car is mainly for street and the occasional track day making just over 500whp.

There is a 4 piston Wilwood setup for sale here but not sure if this will fit my stock 17's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    You're gonna be really limited on stock wheels. If you care enough about performance to shell out for a BBK, may as well get a new set of lighter wheels with more clearance as well. Pretty sure the 17x9 ET42 Apex ARC-8's I have will accommodate 355mm BBK's, and shouldn't need any spacers for caliper clearance (just for strut clearance up front if you have wide tires). Anyways, new wheels/tires will be a fraction of what a quality front/rear BBK setup will run. If it were me I'd much rather spend a bit extra for better wheels and a 355mm kit than settle for a 20mm+ smaller rotor with stock wheels.
    I thought about going 18's but iIve invested some $$ in getting the stock wheels refinished and just got some new R compounds. I would like to make use of this as much as i could before going with a new setup.

I like the ARC-8's, but everyone has them. Good looking wheel though.

Would the e46 M3 rotors fit with the 17's? i.e. 325mm

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    What is the goal with increasing the rotor size?

Are you fading the brakes with track work? Or have your brakes simply worn out and you're looking to make an upgrade while you replace them.

If you're just doing street driving, or even track work, usually the answer is not to increase the rotor size, unless you've already exhausted all the basic options. If you're fading on the track, you probably need a track specific pad.

Basics you should cover:
    Buy stock size quality rotor blanks (brembo, zimmerman, centric aka stoptech).
    Choose a quality pad, many pads to choose from. I run PFC-Z pads, you can buy from Bimmerworld.
    Good quality fluid, I think I went with Redline.

Below is optional, depending on condition of your current brakes and mileage.
    Caliper rebuild
    New brake lines, you can go OEM or some quality braided from someone like Bimmerworld.

Oh and maybe some stickier tires will help too
    I haven't had a chance to do the brakes since finishing the car late last year. Now that it's all tuned and running I am looking at my options. But would like to keep my 17x8.5 setup as i've spent some money on getting the wheels refinished and R compound tires.

And yes, those Firestone Indy500's and not stick enough. In due time will get the R888r

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Some of the Wilwood don’t have piston dust seals and might not be the best choice for a street car driven in all seasons. That is why I skipped Wilwood when I was shopping. Maybe the caliper offerings have changed since I looked.

Stock E36 M3 front rotors are about 330mm so stock E46M3 are no bigger. You really just need upgraded pads. Beware that track pads actually have less bite in street driving unless you are in canyons or mountains and really getting the brakes hot. Track pads shift the temp range up. You can’t have it both ways. They do make autocross pads that bite hard even when cold, but they squeak and are dusty. If you want a hard bite, try a set. But they are not for the track — the temps there could exceed the rating of the pad and they could fail.

Optional is better fluid. Beware some of the highest temp fluids absorb water faster and need to be changed more often. Also much more expensive. Unless you are boiling your fluid, stock spec is fine. Titanium backing plates can help reduce heat transfer to the fluid. Braided lines can improve pedal feel over old stock lines, but honestly, new stock lines would probably do the same. They look cool, though. I use them. Brass guide bushings also improve pedal feel by reducing movement. I find greasing once a year is fine for street driving 10k miles.

If you really want the fancy BBK, wait until a nice used kit goes on sale from someone who is a hard parker like you and me, not a racer who heated them up and faded the paint and nearly killed the rotors with aggressive track pads. I found a new front ST40 set on clearance a few years ago and then found a new rear set on clearance. I think I spent $2500 total. Fronts do about 90% of the work so fancy rears are really just for show unless you are a hard core tracker.

Stoptech, PFC, Brembo are all good.

My Cars
    BMW 97 M3 3.2 Euro
    Stock front rotors are between 312 and 315mm.

330 will fit up front with the right caliper under 17s.

E46 rear size rotor will fit on the rear, I think 740 or 750 have the E46 dia but e36 hub. Check the threads on 996 rear caliper upgrade.

Bottom line.
    For street only, braided lines, brass guides and good quality pads = better feel
    Street and light track, the above and top quality pads(maybe race pads)
    Street and hard braking track, the above and race pads(changed out before and after. Using the race pad to clean rotor surface when pad/rotor is cold). Race brake fluid.

Street and serious track. Rotors, hats/bells, 4 pot+ calipers plus the above.
    Hope this helps