Thread: Need help on head gasket

My Cars
    Bmw

Need help on head gasket

Hey Guys! I’m doing a cylinder head job, I’m replacing my head gasket but I need to know what head gasket is the best, my motor is a m52b28, I’m think buy a cometic .070 in mls but idk, can help me in decide the head gasket for my car? Thanks, sorry for my English

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Did you shave the head? Are you using a stock thickness gasket? I recommend that you buy a gasket made by the supplier to BMW. How to figure that out? Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car’s VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to engine to find the part number. Then go to FCPEuro and enter the part number. The site will show you 3 or 4 brands. You want the gasket labeled “OE” - original equipment. Do t skimp on head gaskets as it’s a long and expensive job to replace a cheap head gasket.

My Cars
    Unless your vehicle is heavily modified or boosted, stay with a stock gasket. Did you have the head checked at a machine shop? It needs to be checked for cracks, and warpage.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I agree with stock style. If not BMW, then Elring. Some people say Victor Reinz is not as good a choice for these motors. I have run the Cometic before, with a supercharger and with a turbo. Surface preparation is more critical and they have a reputation for failing eventually. There are cutring gaskets that are a better alternative if you actually do need a gasket that holds better. JE and Pyramid make them.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Yeah, I’m got the head resurfaced and pressure test, but the machine shop cut them .012mm, so I think I’m go with elring HG, Thanks guys.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Elring make quality products.

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Please, please, please use the thicker +.3MM head gasket. These motors are high enough compression that BMW protocol states to use the thicker head gasket whenever the head is removed, even if no machining is done on the head.
    Wade

My Cars
    Why would you want to lower the compression on an otherwise stock motor? I've done plenty of heads. Even when they were machined, I still went back together with a stock thickness gasket.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    How much is the compression ratio raised by milling the head 3mm and using the factory head gasket? I bet it’s not that much.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine View Post
    Please, please, please use the thicker +.3MM head gasket. These motors are high enough compression that BMW protocol states to use the thicker head gasket whenever the head is removed, even if no machining is done on the head.
    That's nonsense.
    If the head and block are flat use the regular gasket, any good brand is fine no need for fancy.
    If the head has been milled the thicker gasket corrects for combustion chamber volume and the oh so insignificant difference to the valve gear timing.
    OP Worry about the condition, cracks or warpage, of the head rather than brand/thickness of gasket.
    Last edited by ross1; 03-03-2020 at 09:40 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine View Post
    Is there any documentation you can point to for this? Not trying to be confrontational but this doesn't make any sense to me. If this was the case wouldn't they have just used a .3mm thicker head gasket from the factory to start with?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I recall trying to buy the +0.3mm gasket about ten years ago and it was out of production. Is BMW or Elring making them now? Stock is 0.071 inches compressed but you can buy a Cometic MLS in a variety of thicknesses like 0.080, 0.098, 0.120 and 0.140. I used 0.080, 0.098 and 0.140 years ago when dropping compression for a supercharger and then a turbocharger (motor is now fully built with lower compression pistons). The long term reviews of the Cometic MLS on our motors is it great; most seem to eventually leak but that could be due to stresses from forced induction. I had a couple leak eventually—like 20k miles, but cannot be certain it was due to the gasket. I did all the recommended prep for the gasket.