Thread: Warranty work on Steering Wheel Heater denied...

My Cars
    bmw

Warranty work on Steering Wheel Heater denied...

My Father bought a used 2001 525i used from a BMW dealer. The car was NOT BMW certified but I checked CarFax and no kind of accidents came up on it.

After we bought it, we found out that the steering wheel heater wasn't working. We took it in and I figured it would be covered under the 3 yr, 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty and it wasn't. They stated that the car probably got into a previous accident and that the whole steering wheel needed to be replaced to fix the steering wheel heater. Based on this, they denied warranty coverage. This seems like a legit reasoning for me, even though I don't like it.

Anyone have any input or opinions on it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 04-27-2020 at 02:07 PM. Reason: removed spam

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I would argue. Surprised a dealer was dumb enough to give a 3 year 36k mile warranty on a 20 year old car. They sold you the car and should have told you of any exclusions to the warranty. They also should have told you of any accidents. And you did your due diligence by checking car fax. They should not now be allowed to tell you the car they sold you was defective, but no one knew or could have reasonably found out, so your claim is denied.

They will probably find some fine print in the warranty that excludes optional electrical accessories or options, and deny based on that. I’d read it carefully. A true Bumper to bumper on a 20 year old car would be foolish to offer.

My Cars
    The car "probably" got into a previous accident? Even if it was in an accident, why would the whole wheel need to be replaced? If the airbag blew, it can be replaced. And even if the wheel was replaced, why would that mean the heater wouldn't work?

And what kind of warranty was it anyway? It's definitely not a BMW factory warranty. And I'm sure there's probably some exclusion for something like a steering wheel heater, but they need to tell you that.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Saying your car has a bumper to bumper is like saying there is fish in the sea. Sure I guess some things are covered if you want to know what's cover look at the what's not covered ior the exclusion part of the contract or call the company. No extended warranty is bumper to bumper. The salesman would tell people all the time that the cpo warranty was bumper to bumper, a poor choice of words and explanations of the warranty and usually the service adivisornhad to break the good news to the customer and then get an ear full about what the stupid salesman said about the warranty

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Pop the airbag off and make sure dark red 2 pin connector is plugged into the slip ring.