Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darn! UGH! Can use some opinions please

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster

Darn! UGH! Can use some opinions please

Driving home all of a sudden I hear clank clank clank. Almost like I'm dragging something under the engine. I was around 1000 feet from home. Smelled antifreeze. Made it home. Dripping antifreeze when I got home. I'm suspecting it was a blown water pump. Any opinions or advice?

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Sorry to hear. Can you open your hood and take a look and some pictures?
    Kelvin

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Sorry to hear. Can you open your hood and take a look and some pictures?
    Yes but engine bay is so tight that I can not see much. I have a puddle of antifreeze on the floor.

What would you like to see pics of?

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I’d look at the lower rad hose connector to see if it popped. Check your fan and make sure it didn’t explode into the radiator. Belts still intact ?
    Last edited by z3forlife; 02-18-2020 at 08:32 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Check the fan for missing blades.

/.randy

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    I’d look at the lower rad hose connector to see if it popped. Check your fan and make sure it didn’t explode into the radiator. Belts still intact ?
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Check the fan for missing blades.
    I think it may be water pump related because while limping home the batter light flickered for a second. I assume that is from the alternator drive belt. Have a puddle of antifreeze under the car. I just ran to the store and bought kitty litter for that. It was making a really weird clacking. Almost like I was dragging tin cans from the front of the car. I will check the hoses and fan now. Then I will just let it sleep till tomorrow.

Ironic that yesterday I bought a new garage floor after months of waiting. Now until I get this car fixed I can not put down the new floor if its delivered.

I have never let anyone work on my cars in about 30 years or so but this repair may be time.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Update the fan blades are hitting the fan shroud when I go to turn them. That may have been the weird clacking I heard. The angle of the part that goes to the fan blade is partly at an angle instead of straight. Top hoses seem intact. Didnt get on the ground to check the lower hose yet.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Update #2 when I squeeze the upper hose I hear a slurp up top. I assume that is either the thermostat housing or the water pump. I do have more fluid come out when I squeeze the upper hose even though the hose seems intact.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    It sounds like a cooling system refresh is in your near future. Is it all original?

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    It sounds like a cooling system refresh is in your near future. Is it all original?
    I'm not sure. I inherited the car around 5-6 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

What would make the fan/fanclutch look like it is at an angle instead of straight? Bad waterpump? Those fan clutchs do not come loose do they? Arent they reverse threaded to self tighten?

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    You need to locate the leak first but it sounds like either the pulley failed sending the fan into the rad or the pump bearing/impeller failed. I’d plan on replacing the radiator/reservoir if it’s original. The plastic end tanks and fittings fracture easily with age. Of course there’s all the other hoses ,idlers thermostat and housing. Gotta love these old cars.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    You need to locate the leak first but it sounds like either the pulley failed sending the fan into the rad or the pump bearing/impeller failed. I’d plan on replacing the radiator/reservoir if it’s original. The plastic end tanks and fittings fracture easily with age. Of course there’s all the other hoses ,idlers thermostat and housing. Gotta love these old cars.
    The rad looks intact at first glance. The fan shroud may have protected it. Not sure if it is the pully or the water pump.
    I really do not want to get too crazy and turn this $1000 repair bill in to a $3000 repair bill.
    Last edited by Kram71; 02-19-2020 at 08:44 AM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    The rad looks intact at first glance. The fan shroud may have protected it. Not sure if it is the pully or the water pump.
    I really do not want to get too crazy in this repair bill based on the value of the car.
    It's worth a lot less unrepaired...

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    It's worth a lot less unrepaired...
    I will definitely repair it. 👍

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I really do not want to get too crazy in this repair bill based on the value of the car.
    I don't what condition your car is in, but right now the NADA spread on a S52 M Roadster is $6k to $22k based on condition. So it might be worth more than you think.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Happened to me a few months ago...The water pump went, fan blades broke and serpentine belts wear shredded. Luckily for me I was close to home. Ended up replacing the fan, water pump, belts and while I was at it, I replaced the hoses, thermostat and fan clutch.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    I don't what condition your car is in, but right now the NADA spread on a S52 M Roadster is $6k to $22k based on condition. So it might be worth more than you think.
    I used poor wording. I will definitely repair it. My car is in very good condition. I just meant that I don't want to turn a $1000 repair in to a $3000 repair by going crazy with $1000 radiators, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by delvec View Post
    Happened to me a few months ago...The water pump went, fan blades broke and serpentine belts wear shredded. Luckily for me I was close to home. Ended up replacing the fan, water pump, belts and while I was at it, I replaced the hoses, thermostat and fan clutch.
    Did you do it all yourself or have a shop do it? How much did it cost you?

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Just curious Kram. How many miles on your car?
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    So did you actually find out what the problem or are we all just pissing in the wind

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Radiators are definitely not 1000 bucks. Check out FCP euro. Lifetime guarantee on all parts. I would seriously consider doing a full cooling system refresh if you are over 150K. Time consuming, but pretty easy.

Looks like the Nissens radiator is 150 bucks. We use this brand in our endurance car (M54 vs S52, so not apples to apples) and it keeps everything plenty cool.
    Last edited by bionicbelly; 02-19-2020 at 09:19 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark48 View Post
    Just curious Kram. How many miles on your car?
    Around 91,000 and in very good condition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
    Radiators are definitely not 1000 bucks. Check out FCP euro. Lifetime guarantee on all parts. I would seriously consider doing a full cooling system refresh if you are over 150K. Time consuming, but pretty easy.
    I have to be more careful how I word things. I was not saying that normal radiators are $1000. I was saying I do not want to go overboard with crazy high performance parts. I know they make some aftermarket radiators that are around $900.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    So did you actually find out what the problem or are we all just pissing in the wind
    Think its the water pump but until I pull it I will not be able to tell if its just the waterpump.

I know there is a aftermarket heavyduty high performance waterpump. Does anyone have a link for a waterpump suggestion?

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe

- - - Updated - - -

I know they make some aftermarket radiators that are around $900.
    Gotcha. Yes, there is no need for anything aftermarket with the cooling system on a stock engine. The OEM stuff is more than up to the task. Our racecar has 100% OEM cooling, and there is no harder use for a car than endurance racing. (we did add an oil cooler)

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
    Gotcha. Yes, there is no need for anything aftermarket with the cooling system on a stock engine. The OEM stuff is more than up to the task. Our racecar has 100% OEM cooling, and there is no harder use for a car than endurance racing. (we did add an oil cooler)
    The radiator looks good. I was thinking of doing the water pump, thermostat/housing, coolant, pulley and fan clutch. I think all that probably is needed is the water pump. The rest would be preventative. Do you guys think that is enough?

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    I have the M54 Engine..Replaced all the parts myself. Everything could be accessed from the top. The thermostat and water pump is easy to get to and replace. The Water pump I went with was HEPU. The pump has a metal impeller vs. the OEM Plastic one I had. Hoses,belts,thermostat,water pump, fan, fan clutch and coolant just shy of $400.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Oh, boy, I see another cooling system bleed discussion in the near future
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast