Thread: Painting Tonneau cover

My Cars
    1997 Z3, 2003 Z4

Painting Tonneau cover

Hi everyone,
    Has anyone ever tried to paint a tonneau cover? I am thinking of painting mine black from grey/tan..

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    If you are talking about the OE Boot Cover which is used to cover the top when it is down, then you should be able to recolor it. It is leather and any good upholstery shop should be able to help you out. (Just FYI, the tonneau cover is what covers the cockpit of a car). But I would not try to paint it.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Are you certain the boot cover is leather? I assumed it wasn't.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Judging from the scuff marks on mine, I would say it’s some kind of semi-flexible molded plastic. Someone else may have a leather one, but I don’t. Regarding coloring, I would be worried about the new color rubbing off in places. It has to be bent, flexed and forced into tight areas every time it’s installed or removed. Rub marks on my solid black cover are bad enough, but reasonably inconspicuous. Having those areas with the base tan color showing through would look a whole lot worse. Better off to sell the tan cover and buy a black one.
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 02-18-2020 at 04:52 PM.
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    ... It is leather...
    I assumed that mine was vinyl, that BMW would not use the expense of leather for such a thing.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Are you certain the boot cover is leather? I assumed it wasn't.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Mine seems to be leather. I guess it could be a real good alternative, but I believe it is leather.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    VHT Vinyl Dye is amazing stuff; with proper prep and application it looks great and is incredibly durable:

https://www.vhtpaint.com/specialty/vht-vinyl-dye

Dupli-Color vinyl coating is pretty good too:

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/v...abric-coating/

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    There you go Bluesbrother.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Mine seems to be leather. I guess it could be a real good alternative, but I believe it is leather.
    I can't find any specs on it, but I think many people believe it to be vinyl as in Post #8:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...2#post20806332

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650

Is it soft or hard material? Looking at the linked post #8 above, there are both kinds. My boot is a hard plastic material.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Mine is hard, but flexible. I think it is the backing which makes it stiff and the surface is leather.

My Cars
    1999 M & 2001 M Roadster
    Is there really much difference between most "leather" products and Vinyl? One is just the Vinyl and one is Leather pulp mixed with Vinyl. I have a cover and I don't think it's leather but I'm not sure I could tell.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffPortland View Post
    ... one is Leather pulp mixed with Vinyl...
    Vinyl is plastic made from oil. I have not heard of mixing organic leather pulp in its manufacture. Do you have any information on this process?

My Cars
    ...it depands
    There was a guy in SJ that did a similar project. I think he painted his from beige to red to match his interior color. It looked pretty good from photos, I thought. Pretty cool guy too. I wish I saved the to share that with you. I'll dig my email and see if I can still find it. If so, I will post more info.

[Edit]
    Here you go:

...As for the red boot cover, when I bought her I did a deal with my dealer. They gave me a tan boot cover instead of the black I was supposed to red. I took the car & the boot cover over to a local guy who dyed leather. He was able to dye the tan cover to an almost exact match for the seats. The only thing was that the dye didn’t work perfectly on the fabric edges of the boot cover. I’d say it was a 85% match there and a 99% match on the leather parts. Overall, a good deal. I think he charged me $200, but that was back ’98....

http://rcaslis.xkill.net/vehicles/19...r/index.1.html
    Last edited by nevan; 02-19-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    1999 M & 2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    Vinyl is plastic made from oil. I have not heard of mixing organic leather pulp in its manufacture. Do you have any information on this process?
    I am not an expert at all but most of the cheaper leathers are just "bonded leather" which is just "leather" created from scraps of real leather and adhesive. The final product is ~17% leather so that they can call it "leather". It smells and feels like leather. There is full grain leather which is the actual authentic cow skin and that's what most people think they are getting.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    If it were mine, I’d sell the tan cover and buy a black one. You might even find someone who wants to trade.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffPortland View Post
    ... cheaper leathers are just "bonded leather" which is just "leather" created from scraps of real leather and adhesive...
    I looked up bonded leather and understand it:
    "Bonded leather, also called reconstituted leather or blended leather, is a term used for a manufactured upholstery material including animal hide. It is made as a layered structure of a fiber or paper backer, a pulp made from shredded leather and a polyurethane coating which is embossed with a leather-like texture."
    But you first mentioned it was leather pulp mixed with vinyl, which is not the case.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    So, what does the leather do, make it more flexible? The bottom line is you’d be coloring polyurethane, not leather.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark48 View Post
    So, what does the leather do, make it more flexible? The bottom line is you’d be coloring polyurethane, not leather.
    In upholstery, bonded/blended/reconstituted leather is the body of the material, and the polyurethane is the leather-grained coating for surface appearance and durability.
    I don't think we have any bonded leather in a Z3. I think the boot cover is a molded fiber board covered with naugahyde (vinyl).

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    My cynical self thinks the use of bonded leather allows manufacturers to advertise that their products have "leather upholstery."
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Probably right and exactly what I was thinking. Personally, I don’t care if my cover is leather or plastic. It looks much better than the exposed, retracted top.