Thread: Chris' E39 M5 Wagon Conversion - In-Depth Build Videos (Youtube)

My Cars
    BMW E30 325ix

Chris' E39 M5 Wagon Conversion - In-Depth Build Videos (Youtube)

Hello all!

I'm super excited to share with you my journey on the quest to create an E39 M5 wagon. My name is Chris, and I come from a BMW technician background, so I hope to share some of my knowledge with you as we get into wiring, timing the s62, and other technical repairs that go into putting together a functioning BMW.

I'll use this build thread to keep you up to date with the latest videos and pictures from the build! You'll get a little more detail than what I share on Youtube, if that means anything.

Here's a couple pictures of the wagon we're doing the operation on. Bought her for $300 with 0 wheels. Had to pick up a set of e39 wheels from someone else on craigslist on the way to the car. Not running.

Knew from that moment what I wanted to accomplish with the car, so a couple weeks later I flew to Atlanta and picked up the following Rebuilt title 2000 M5, and the project began:

Hoping to get some of your feedback and suggestions on content for the channel, and recommendations for the build!

**Latest Video Below**

- - - Updated - - -

So a little more catching up to do, and then I'll just do a photo dump. What already been done to the 528it chassis:

• Cleaned the fuel tank
    • Swapped to the M5 front subframe and suspension
    • Full Interior swap, including carpets.
    • Took the hood and front fender from the M5 since the silver body pieces had damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Ended up recycling the rebuilt m5, I couldn't find anyone locally who wanted it. Had the rolling chassis listed for $300 on Craigs, but nobody wanted it after finding how gutted it was... Didn't have a single M5 badge left on it lol

The only photo I have of the two of them together... This was post-subframe swap.

- - - Updated - - -

Some more stuff to bring you up to date on the build. Machine was sent to the machine shop, cylinders honed, heads rebuilt, everything was glass-bead blasted, including the oil pump.

Before/After:

Decided to paint the engine bay in a Silverstone finish with clearcoat. I know this doesn't look OEM, especially since it doesn't match the silver paint currently, but I did this as an homage to the car that gave up its life to power my grocery getter. RIP never forget.

Before/During/After:

Big thanks to Einhorn Industries (Jed) for his rental Subframe bushing tool, which made removing the old bushings super easy:

And if anyone is looking for a great all around bushing tool, I found the following on Amazon which did a great job:

Took the opportunity to pressure wash both subframes

Also replaced rear wheel bearings, cleaned the hubs, installed rear M5 rotors and calipers, axle-shafts, differential.

Old:

Shout out to Tim (@flipdaskript) for making me paranoid and urging I do the differential mount reinforcement. Better now than when it breaks.

Before/After:
    Last edited by coolpersob; 02-17-2020 at 02:58 PM.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    No one wanted the M5 front and rear bumper covers?

My Cars
    BMW E30 325ix
    Rear was damaged, front was non-OEM and has screws in it (into the paint). Car was on craigslist for an entire month as a part-out car!

Quote Originally Posted by balidawg View Post
    No one wanted the M5 front and rear bumper covers?

My Cars
    BMW E30 325ix
    Finally got the rear subframe back in the car, wheels on, and the car on the ground. Tried using a couple of HF wheel dolleys on both rear wheels, but that quickly took a wrong turn. Exciting to see what max low height will look like on the air ride to come, combined with the E39 wheels:

So now we move on to painting the motor! Black on the block, and old's gold on the head, oil pan, and timing covers. I like the race look, and the contrast on the block will make spotting leaks easy.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Nice to have a hobby. Hope it's worth the time and money. When you are finished, you'll have an elegant and pristine bastard.

BTW, "motors" are generally electric; "engines" generally burn fossil fuels directly. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by edjack; 02-20-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    Nice to have a hobby. Hope it's worth the time and money. When you are finished, you'll have an elegant and pristine bastard.

BTW, "motors" are generally electric; "engines" generally burn fossil fuels directly. Just sayin'.

Wrenching on BMWs is a great hobby....keeps me out of trouble.

Not for nothing but the last E39 M5 wagon bastard sold for $25k on Bring A Trailer two years ago.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-m5-11/

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post

Wrenching on BMWs is a great hobby....keeps me out of trouble.

Not for nothing but the last E39 M5 wagon bastard sold for $25k on Bring A Trailer two years ago.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-m5-11/

There was a black supercharged one that sold for $85,000 last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 530i, 2007 X5 3.0si
    Really impressive project

I'm also surprised that more of the shell of the M5 wasn't taken, especially the rear view mirror. The cheapest I've seen them sell on ebay is $100 USD...

I remember the price a few years ago always being around $300

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserid View Post
    There was a black supercharged one that sold for $85,000 last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was $72k and wasn't supercharged. I helped build that car. It eventually cost about $85k as the new owner asked Brian (Redshift), the seller, to redye the interior a customer color and use new leather on the seats (he runs a Fibrenew franchise). It was black sapphire metallic and started out as a 03 M-Sport wagon that he owned from very little miles.

OP, if you feel you need a bit of a reference for the swap, check out my DIY: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...39-525-530-540. I did this in my 530i sedan and did a write-up for it, along with the aforementioned 540i M-Sport M5T build. The 528it might be slightly different regarding wiring, but I doubt it's very much.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    BMW E30 325ix
    Thanks, appreciate the additional info!

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    It was $72k and wasn't supercharged. I helped build that car. It eventually cost about $85k as the new owner asked Brian (Redshift), the seller, to redye the interior a customer color and use new leather on the seats (he runs a Fibrenew franchise). It was black sapphire metallic and started out as a 03 M-Sport wagon that he owned from very little miles.

OP, if you feel you need a bit of a reference for the swap, check out my DIY: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...39-525-530-540. I did this in my 530i sedan and did a write-up for it, along with the aforementioned 540i M-Sport M5T build. The 528it might be slightly different regarding wiring, but I doubt it's very much.