Thread: Benefits of Having An Electric Car

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Lightbulb Benefits of Having An Electric Car

When you are looking for a new car, you often have a choice to make. Some people just automatically go for the traditional car that uses gas but now we can drive around in electric vehicles and still enjoy the experience. Electric cars are becoming much more common and we are expecting to see more … Continue reading Benefits of Having An Electric Car →
    See more at www.bimmerforums.com - The Ultimate BMW Forum

More...

My Cars
    Benefits of having an electric car: none.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    05 sti
    All I know is, I dont pay for gas anymore

And the whole "instant torque" thing is kinda nice

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    instead you pay for electricity..

and the soon to be huge taxes on electric cars. road infrastructure is primarily paid for with fuel taxes. EV's are going to have to pay their share somehow.

the "cheaper to run" and "living sustainably" paragraphs in that article are pie in the sky and fail to address the real issues of where the electricity comes from, how it is distributed, scalability and cost of charging infrastructure and road infrastructure support. beyond the fluff of articles like this, the real questions need to be addressed.

not saying EV's are inherently bad, just that they are not as rosy as some folks make them out to be.
    Last edited by mlytle; 02-21-2020 at 05:36 PM.

My Cars
    05 sti
    3Capture.PNG

Or not.

Jan/Feb = no more than 10 kwhr usage. (ignore march, I was in Japan).
    NOV = Bought the i3 = still no more than 10 kwhr usage

BONUS, I am now on a cheaper rate plan that my utility company gives to ev owners. Assuming, I charge a lot from home (which I dont), it is now 14 cents per kwhr ... down from 23 cents. I strictly charge after 9 pm. From 0% to 100% (which is not possible), a full tank would only cost me $2.226.

zCapture.PNG

In my previous car, a 40 mpg honda fit, $12.34 was my avg cost per trip to and from work
    40mpg.png

I wont bother commenting on eco related topics, as my other 2 cars are catless and I regularly litter and take long showers

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Battery technology is advancing very rapidly. There are cells now in development that have 10x the capacity of li-on cells for a given volume. They also charge much faster: about the same amount of time fill you bimmer up with Shell 93. They are even developing cells made of chemicals from seaweed.

The big hurdles include building the electrical infrastructure to handle the greater power demands, and transitioning to non-hydrocarbon sources of power. Germany experienced a large adoption of EVs I the 2010s. As you may know, Germany had decided after the disaster at the Fukushima reactors to shut down all German reactors by 2022. The adoption of EVs required that Germany keep some coal fired power plants on line to satisfy the EV demand.

No solution is perfect. However, there are huge advances in fusion power. A recent article on google news showed how a group of scientists in Australia has been able to create a sustained fusion reaction without the up to now required 4000*C temperatures.

https://newatlas.com/energy/hb11-hydrogen-boron-fusion-clean-energy/

There’s a young teen who created a fusion reactor from parts he bought online and at the local Home Depot! So, yes, ICE are on the way out. It will be a series of events that will eventual doom ICE.

But that’s only half the story. We need to cleanse CO2 from the atmosphere. CO2 can remain in the atmosphere for more up to more than 30 years. Methane does not remain nearly as long, typically 3-5 years, but up to 10 years. Methane is many times worse a greenhouse gas than CO2. So scientists are working on ways to scrub the CO2 from the air and turn it into materials that can’t pollute. The idea of carbon sequestration won’t happen IMHO as it’s too expensive and the carbon can escape.

Lastly, the final component is the planting of billions of trees, and the halt to the deforestation of areas such as the Amazon.

Coal was a 19th century fuel. Oil was a 20th century fuel. Electricity is the 21st century fuel. There is no stopping technical and societal progress. So, put your deposits down on the i4. I will if it’ll fit in my condo parking space!🤪
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 02-24-2020 at 06:43 AM.

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    Electricity is not a fuel....

It is a second order by-product of a fuel. (Coal, oil, wind, nuclear, whatever...). It is the inefficient way to convert, store and use the energy interrent in fuel sources.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    instead you pay for electricity..
    Not if your roof is full of solar panels.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    For my wife we decided to go for the moment being to a Hybrid Synergy Drive in a 2018 Toyota Auris, it recharges automatically when braking etc., fuel consumption in average for the last 50 kmiles is about 60-70 miles/gallon. System explained here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

Her next car for her will be a full electric car, power will come from solar panels on the garage roof.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Of course electricity is a fuel. Physics tells us that energy can be neither created nor destroyed, but merely transformed.