Thread: Fix one thing, break another....... A-Pillar trim clips

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe

Fix one thing, break another....... A-Pillar trim clips

I pulled the old aftermarket radio today, pulled the wiring harness, cleaned off the wires of the electrical tape good that they were wrapped with, cut old harness to radio off, install new harness using clean butt connectors, removed the old radio's metal bracket that inserts into the dash, installed new bracket, pulled the old remote microphone (it was in a bad place and broken) which entailed taking apart a portion of the drivers side lower dash panel, was routing the wires for the new remote microphone up the A-Pillar (had removed the trim piece) and was buttoning everything up with more than a hint of satisfaction.

I couldn't wait to turn the radio on and enjoy the new setup. It was at this moment that I realized that the A-Pillar trim wasn't sitting just right. As I grasped it and lightly pulled, I realized that one of the two metal trim clips was broken in half and the other was terribly bent. As I tried to unbend the unbroken one, it too broke in half. So now I can't reinstall the A-Pillar trim piece.

I have searched on realOEM.com and cannot find a part number for these two pieces. Does anyone have an idea what the part number is or where to find them?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirk View Post
    I pulled the old aftermarket radio today, pulled the wiring harness, cleaned off the wires of the electrical tape good that they were wrapped with, cut old harness to radio off, install new harness using clean butt connectors, removed the old radio's metal bracket that inserts into the dash, installed new bracket, pulled the old remote microphone (it was in a bad place and broken) which entailed taking apart a portion of the drivers side lower dash panel, was routing the wires for the new remote microphone up the A-Pillar (had removed the trim piece) and was buttoning everything up with more than a hint of satisfaction.

I couldn't wait to turn the radio on and enjoy the new setup. It was at this moment that I realized that the A-Pillar trim wasn't sitting just right. As I grasped it and lightly pulled, I realized that one of the two metal trim clips was broken in half and the other was terribly bent. As I tried to unbend the unbroken one, it too broke in half. So now I can't reinstall the A-Pillar trim piece.

I have searched on realOEM.com and cannot find a part number for these two pieces. Does anyone have an idea what the part number is or where to find them?
    I have a pair available in black. I am in Houston as well.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by bkirk View Post
    ... the A-Pillar trim wasn't sitting just right. As I grasped it and lightly pulled, I realized that one of the two metal trim clips was broken in half and the other was terribly bent. As I tried to unbend the unbroken one, it too broke in half. So now I can't reinstall the A-Pillar trim piece... Does anyone have an idea what the part number is or where to find them?
    The trim piece and the clips are shown at:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2347
    A Pelican DIY shows them at:
    pic02.jpg
    Here's one of the clips at ECST:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...p/51438398207/
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    The trim piece and the clips are shown at:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2347
    A Pelican DIY shows them at:
    pic02.jpg
    Here's one of the clips at ECST:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...p/51438398207/
    Thank you, I have ordered several of them in case I break another one installing. Hell, the shipping costs is more than the handful of clips.

Thanks!

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    You just need to order more stuff to get over the “free shipping” threshold ��

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by spfd72 View Post
    You just need to order more stuff to get over the “free shipping” threshold ��
    That's funny, I had spent over $500 with ECSTuning on new tail lights and floor mats in the prior 24 hours, but had no idea I was going to need a $1.87 clip until two of them showed up broken......