Thread: M52TU MDK Throttle Body Connector

My Cars
    E39 99 528iT

M52TU MDK Throttle Body Connector

Has any body worked out how to dismantle the 10 pin connector plug to be able to access the wiring connector pins to check for corrosion etc?
    It seems to be in 4 parts.
    Inner part holding the pins, outer ring which rotates to lock/unlock the connector to the throttle body, a red plastic locking piece and a yellow O ring.
    I've got a set of pin connector removers but even with one that fits over the female connector pin I still can't remove the pin and wire from the rear of the plug.
    Does anybody know the secret to this.
    Are they not able to be dismantled?
    Single use only?

This site has a "How to" to replace the pins but this involves buying a new connector, a sealing grommet and 10 repair wires already fitted with the pins and a blue weather seal.
    http://www.frankies-bmw.com/5series/...tle_faults.php

Any help appreciated

TIA from Downunder
    RonR

99 528iT M52TU 5HP19
    RHD Euro Spec

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    It might be this:-

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...minal/1M0Sa90X

HTH from Downunder

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I love all this work in solving the MDK issue .... the MDK issue will strand those of us with the otherwise solid M52TU engine without warning (limp mode)

One of the BMW special tools mentioned in the Newtis link above has a cheaper Hazet equivalent. Actually a pretty standard de-pining tool.

I can't find the first special tool listed, the one used to unlock the inner barrel counter-clockwise. However I believe it is part# 61 1 145 - special release tool for the 10-pin D1.5mm connector and which appears no longer available.

EDIT: It looks like BMW # 61 1 145 has been replaced by BMW part #83 30 0 492 719 or just 0 492 719
    it is available from ECS tuning and listed as a release tool, but no picture is shown.

The pin release tool is 61 0 303:
    BMW 61 0 303 = Hazet 4671-4 - round system 2.5mm "Tyco" contacts

helpful links:
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=601169

http://www.bmwgroup-wep.com/download...cabinet_en.pdf
    Last edited by effduration; 02-15-2020 at 09:53 AM.

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    This is what 61 1 145 looks like:-

You should be able to make something to unlock that inner ring.
    Once you’ve done that, if your pin tool is nice and snug over the pin and can push the lock tangs back, the contacts should pull out the back of the connector.

My Cars
    E39 99 528iT
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Unfortunately the MDK connector doesn't have the release mechanism to use tool 61 1 145.
    The only think you can see under X10 magnification is part of the red indicator that shows in the indicator window when the plug is correctly inserted and locked.
    It looks like I will purchase a new plug, contacts with attached wire and the grommet.

Regards from Downunder
    RonR

99 528iT M52TU 5HP19
    RHD Euro Spec

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I have been struggling to figure this out, so I got a spare, used M52TU 10-pin connector (which is part# 12-52-1-744-870 btw) and studied it…

I read on-line that that red tabs inside the connector hold the pins and have to be moved so that you can de-pin the connector…

Still couldn’t figure it out, so I cut the outer locking ring of the connector… It was then obvious.

The red tab is a clip that moves out at a 90 degree angle to the connector…once you push the red tab (clip) out, you can de-pin the connector.

The way to do this without destroying connector is as follows:

1. With connector in left hand rotate locking ring away from you counter-clockwise until it locks.
    2. You well see a beveled (rounded) red nub in one window of the locking ring
    3. On the opposite side of connector – thru the other window of the locking ring push on the other non-beveled exposed red tab (not the same tab in #2)
    4. This will push the red clip and the rounded red nub thru the window of the locking ring (#2) and release the pins for de-pinning.

Because of the rubber seal on each pinned wire, it was difficult to pull each one out...I sprayed the back of the connector with silicone which helped. A 4mm de-pinning tool that also pushes the pin out is the best tool for the job...like this one:
    https://racegerman.com/products/bmw-depin-tool

HOWEVER…you should not need to do this if your goal is to simply apply De-Oxit or Stabilant-22 to connections- which is my goal. As you will see, the pins are sealed on one side.

You can simply apply De-Oxit or Stabilant-22 to the pins directly.
    Pin1.jpgpin5.jpgpin4.jpgpin3.jpg
    Last edited by effduration; 01-10-2024 at 11:51 AM.